1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A good portion of Green's shot attempts are catch and shoot 3's. I would honestly not mind him getting more isolation plays where he can use his speed, not less.

I agree he could get more involved on cuts and whatnot, but that's on Silas as well.

roslolian and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Height isn't as important as a scoring guard anymore. Look at Donavan Mitchell at 6'1". Guards aren't posting up like Kobe and Jordan where height actually matters. Its a different game. He'll be fine once he adds a solid layer of muscle to his frame. As far as the Kobe/MJ comparisons, I don't think ppl actually thought Green will become the second coming of Kobe/MJ. What I remember is their athleticism being compared at 19, which to me isn't far off.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And it's not just athleticism but they type of athleticism they have. Anthony Edwards is just as athletic if not more but he doesn't have that fluidity and contouring ability that Green and Kobe had as rookies.

Verbal Christ and Rocketeer like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

Although this concept is fundamentally correct, our offense usually a pick and roll at the top between Wood and KPJ. Bodies move as the ball swings from side to side. Our offense has almost no side to side "live ball" movement, despite what Silas preaches. When the ball is swinging the defense has to reset and that's when off ball movement becomes a big threat. If Green cuts up he is just running into a player. If Green runs to the rim, he is getting in the way of Wood as he rolls - which to the naked eye, Wood hardly rolls to the basket anyways. These aren't excuses for Green, but a by product of our pick and roll offense and perhaps all by design

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I sure see Mathews moving, Brooks moving when they come in for him....it ain't the offense it is KNOWING how to play.

No more excuses....if he stands in the corner, he is the one making that decision.

DD

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The one area I'd like to see Green improve are his off the dribble moves but that should come with time. Right now, a lot of his dribble attacks are linear like Westbrook. I have seen a couple of nice hesitation moves, but we need to see more of it without turning the ball over. As fast as he is, he cannot simply rely on speed to blow by defenders every single time.

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Mike Schmitz on Jalen

8. Jalen Green, guard | Houston Rockets
    Skill: Settling less, attacking more
    Previous ranking: 8
    Although still streaky from beyond the arc, Green has been slightly more productive and efficient since our first rankings, scoring 16.4 points in 29.5 minutes in December and January, while shooting 48% from 2 and 31% from 3 (up from 28%). When he's at his best, Green is using his speed to wreak havoc in transition as both a lane filler and ball handler -- and it shows in his production and efficiency. If he's more focused on getting downhill than settling for step-back 3s, Green can go the length of the floor in 4 seconds, using just four dribbles. He has a game-changing burst running the floor without the ball, creating two points without needing any dribbles thanks to his fluidity and bounce at 6-6. Green is Ja Morant-like when he's able to gather off two feet, dunking on the way up and punishing the rim with equal parts style and ferocity.
    Although he's shooting just 29% from 3 through nine games this month, Green is attempting a career-best 6.4 free throws per 40 minutes, up from 4.3 through the first three months of the season. It took Green until his fifth career NBA game to draw a shooting foul, yet those days of settling for off-balance jumpers and finesse finishes in traffic appear to be behind him. He's more decisive, attacking off the catch with more frequency and going into the body of rim protectors with physicality. According to Cleaningtheglass.com, 37% of Green's shots are coming at the rim, which ranks in the 82nd percentile in terms of frequency. Green is fouled on 10.4% of his shots, which ranks in the 88th percentile. When Green goes to the rim, good things generally happen, and we're starting to see more glimpses as he settles into his rookie season. Green's off-the-dribble shooting and ability to create space are clearly a big reason he was drafted No. 2 overall. If he can strike the right balance between using his burst and showcasing his pull-up, he can have an Anthony Edwards-like post All-Star break, eclipsing Wagner and Cunningham as the leading scorer among rookies. There's still work to do as a defender and passer, but Green's potential remains sky high, and I remain confident he will lead the NBA in scoring someday.

vator, tmoney1101, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun is the black Karl Malone.
    (I like tomatoes.)

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Based on the ranking and the description, the ranking is based purely on just play of this season without incorporating potential. Because the description has what some posters here would call absurd expectations for being confident he'll lead the entire NBA in scoring some day.

But he sees what the rational people see on this message board. When scores, he scores impressively. He has that fluid motion with all time elite bounce. If he has no major setbacks in his career, he will at the least be a Lavine level player.

roslolian, Verbal Christ and xaos like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Link?

11. DaDakota

No it isn't, both Mathews and Brooks come off the bench in Green's position and both have freedom to move, so does Green, he just doesn't do it yet. He doesn't have that BBall IQ that he needs to develop.

DD

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If we play Gordon 35 mins every game we can win more games. Obviously front office also think it’s meaningless if we can’t develop our rookies. KPJ playing better recently is good thing, but if we can’t develop Sengun and Green well this season, it’s still a fail season.

vator and DreamShook like this.
  13. DaDakota

Well, I think that Gordon is just being showcased a little bit, hopefully he will be traded and free up more time for all of our young bucks.....you have to admit though that Gordon is a good guy to learn the game from, he is super efficient - hardly even looks to break a sweat.

DD

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Trade deadline can't come soon enough. im going to miss EG.

Gotta force Silas to play the rookies when all the vets are gone.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green needs to show some urgency when he plays bad. Not everything is going to be good. It's how you play on bad shooting nights that matters.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  16. DaDakota

I thought Green was pretty good tonight on defense, TBH.

DD

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

A green stop and pop would be deadly. With his speed he could get that shot anytime he wants. People are scared of his quickness he starts knocking that down and he’ll be able to fake and blow by people too.

vator likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He was pretty good on defense. I was mainly talking about offense. I think after he missed some layups, he didn't know what to do with himself when he got the ball. You can see the hesitation in every movement.

He needs to learn how to run hard to get himself open like Matthew does, instead of doing the same slow dribble hand off at the 3 point line and then holding it.

DaDakota and vator like this.
  19. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

His defense tonight was good ... his shooting still subpar. Been shooting pretty bad the past 6-7 games. Hopefully he improves his shooting after ASB

DatRocketFan, vator and apollo33 like this.
  20. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member