1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes hoping out rookie becomes the best is delusional. Coming to his defense after seeing such unwarranted criticism in such a small sample size is lashing out.

It's folks like u and newage that r just being realists speaking as it is with unbiased judgement and no side remarks. /s

peleincubus likes this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think they're cavs fans, but there are a lot of people that would rather be right than have their team be good. I have a buddy like this in real life who will actually straight up tell you this, he's a cowboy fan, and if he predicts that a cowboy draft pick will be a bust, he'd rather see that player fail than succeed. It's ego over fandom. He still likes the team and wants them to succeed, and roots for them, but if he makes a negative prediction about a coach or a player or anything, he'd rather see himself be right so he can gloat, rather than be wrong and have the team succeed. I don't think he's unique in this - maybe he's unique in actually being able to admit it so blatantly to himself and others - but I think there are a ton of fans who feel this way across all sports.

Dobbizzle and steddinotayto like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There nothing wrong with going that one day he develops into a decent player.... that's what we all hope happens.

There is something wrong with blaming his struggles on anyone and everyone else and lashing out emotionally against anyone who points out that he's struggling.

You guys set yourself up for failure by setting your expectations WAY too high and instead of adjusting expectations you blame others or make excuses for your unreasonable expectations not being met.

5. NewAge

NewAge Member

So Mike Schmitz has his rookie rankings today, haven’t seen it posted.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ham-progression-surprise-second-rounders-more

Schmitz (and Givony) are considered the best talent evaluators, and are getting paid for that. Also Schmitz was very high on Green early, he pegged him as a 30 ppg scorer.

Anyway, he now has Mobley #1, Jalen at #8. Since there hasn’t been a draft class with 8 superstars ever, the smart money now is on Jalen NOT becoming one. FWIW.

Doesn’t mean it’s certain JG won’t become one and certainly nothing prevents us from hoping and dreaming.

But IMO this board should calibrate its tone a bit. Saying that Mobley is on a superstar trajectory and Green is not is more or less the safe take. The data and the experts lean this way. Saying the opposite is the "dreamer", contrarian take. Religious faith. Nothing wrong to dream and nothing wrong to be contrarian. But some self-awarenesses won’t hurt.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Adjusting expectations? Who the fk hopes their rookie only just becomes decent? I honestly feel u wish he becomes decent or bust out just so u can toot your horn about how "much iq u had that Mobley was the pick.

I'm in the boat where I want to at least wait a season or 2 to see where he progress b4 lashing out and calling him a bust.

Like dam labeling rookies not even half the season in just fuel your ego about being right all along about Mobley.
    Worst defender, bust, girly and etc. Tounge in cheek calling mathews a star (laughable).

Folks calling u or others like u out is labeled as cult like or only green fan. Funny.

dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A realistic person would tether their expectations to reality.....a cultist would just believe even harder despite reality.

It has nothing to do with Mobley that ship has sailed.

If it was just a blind wishful Rockets fan thing, you'd think the delusions would be behind the best rookie on the team, Sengun, not Green.

Rockets fans suggesting the Green cultists calm down and stop lashing out at everyone trying to find scapegoats for Green's failure to live up to their irrational expectations aren't doing so for some kind of malicious ulterior motive..... and it's ridiculous to even suggest that.

We went through this with Lin fans who blamed Harden for the death of Linsanity

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol look at my signature. I just find folks like u that likes to throw such negativity on a a rocket rookie weird.

Lol defending green against Mobley folks baggin on him cause of biasness is now akin to being a Lin fan attacking harden.

Jeezus.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I doubt anyone is rooting for the Cavs.....

Hard enough being a Rockets fan.

DD

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes anyone who points it the reality of the situation must be just a "Mobley folk" lol

The cultists must demonize anyone who disagrees with their delusions. Those evil statistics must be Mobley folks.

Look guy you can keep on with the toxic player only fan shtick as long as you want, but you're going to catch flack from Rockets fans as you lash out against others in order to make excuses for the failures of your hero.

So long as you know and accept that, it's all good.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Did you actually read what he wrote though? Nowhere does it say "Jalen Green is a bust and does not have star potential." It does however say:

". When Green goes to the rim, good things generally happen, and we're starting to see more glimpses as he settles into his rookie season. Green's off-the-dribble shooting and ability to create space are clearly a big reason he was drafted No. 2 overall. " - this doesn't sound like he's saying that it was a bad pick.

" If he can strike the right balance between using his burst and showcasing his pull-up, he can have an Anthony Edwards-like post All-Star break, eclipsing Wagner and Cunningham as the leading scorer among rookies. There's still work to do as a defender and passer, but Green's potential remains sky high, and I remain confident he will lead the NBA in scoring someday." - he literally says he's confident Green will lead the league in scoring. That's the literal definition of a star player.

Your narrative doesn't fly, the guy you're using to push it is saying he's confident Green will be the best scorer in the league.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Talking to u is quite annoying.
    Im just gonna defend the Rockets players that I think get unfair criticism like I usually do. I know for a fact u r gonna sht on green regardless of what he does.
    Already labeling him as worst defender, one way player, non star young guard.

The fun part of having a rookie is watching them grow and improve. Your enjoyment is shtting on them.

U labeling me a only green fan even after looking at my signature just proves my point. U do that sht when u get call out for your bias critiques.

dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I didn't say rooting for cavs. I Said another rookie aka mobley

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those things are just facts though.... Jalen Green IS currently the worst defender on the team and one of the worst in the league..... you getting so upset about that objective truth suggests your attachment is emotional and irrational.

You have to expect Rockets fans to push back against you when you are lashing out against players and fans attempting an irrational emotional defense for your hero when faced with reality.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like if this post doesn't prove how we have folks actively wishing green turn out how they predicted and how right about they were about Mobley I don't know what else will.

Don't b surprised u will see a fking thread in the near future about them tooting their own horn

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure it is im here for it and to discuss tangible basketball related issues to the rebuild .. Im just not going to make it easy on those harshest and loudest of critics especially those who decided that everything was game and not just what was happening on the court. They know who they are! Its just too funny to see them NOW feel victimized when their ridiculous takes get rehashed and they feel like they may be getting unfair treatment? The irony is delicious!

i3artow i3aller and daywalker02 like this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, yes. I read it and he’s been saying this since before the draft. That’s how I got sold on Green, I don’t watch High School or G-league, and very little NCAA. The dream is not dead, but if you’re ranked #8 in you draft class, that’s a looooooooong way to climb to superstardom, long odds.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes now green Is my hero.

Your purpose of calling green the worst defender on the team or worst in the league is not bc u care so much about him and want him to improve. What u r doing is basically akin to dem harden critics likes to do and labeled him as an awful defender. U disregard the apparent effort green puts on the court just to label him to push the notion of how much insight u have about Mobley. It's disgusting.

When green gets an efficient game, u praise mathews and kpj for carrying us as the young stars guards. U just aren't consistent and u like to paint me as raving green fan when u clearly have a bias dislike for green.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You can easily tell when someone is not a Rockets fan; they would rather look for opportunities to come back and say "I told you so" instead of rooting and celebrating the special moments of our own players and rookies. Our rookies doing good is good for the Rockets future. Pining for a person that never wanted to be here on the other hand... that's just sad.

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

Actually what this proves is how unhinged you are!!
    I was never pro-Mobley, I was sold on Green by reading experts, I am not a draft nerd.
    There is no post of mine saying that I wanted Mobley.

When people are saying that they root for Green but are skeptical, how about taking them for what they are saying in straight text and not looking for ulterior motives, and doing psychoanalysis on their ego? I see Posters like @Bobbythegreat and @DaDakota say they hope Green succeeds, and are being immediately spammed with "no you don’t, you want him to fail", but these two are among the most outspoken and obnoxious posters here. Do you guys really think they would be shy to say “I hope Green fails" if that was the case?

I am not a draft nerd, but one time I was in a similar situation was in 2002, I was a dead-set Tayshaun Prince over Bostjan Nachbar truther. I know how I felt about Boki: I genuinely wanted him to succeed, but was kinda pissed off that he sucked. I suspect the Mobley folks feel the same.