1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Most of it would be resolved if peopled learned the #1 rule of the internet: Don't feed the trolls

Mathloom and Milos like this.
  2. Milos

Milos Member

It's just exhausting trying to side-step all of it and sift thru the sludge for meaningful interaction with thoughtful fans
    I've never used the block/ignore feature before, but if this rebuild lasts much longer, I guess I'll have no choice
    I can't take another 2-3 years of this

xaos likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed

Milos likes this.
  4. mightybosstone

I think in terms of a scorer who doesn't offer much else, I get the comparison, but they're pretty different players offensively. Green isn't nearly the shooter Klay is, but Klay also isn't nearly as skilled with the ball in his hands as Green. I remember looking at stats years ago, and well over 80% of Klay's buckets are assisted—he's an incredible catch and shoot player, but that's really what his game boils down to. If you made him a No. 1 option and asked him to get you buckets with the ball in his hands, I'm not sure he's capable of that. Because of that, he doesn't get to the line much and isn't nearly as efficient a scorer as you might think based on his shooting splits.

Green has the potential to be a go-to scorer who can score in all three phases and generate offense with the ball in his hands at an efficient level. He's obviously miles away from being that guy, but that's the big difference between the two, IMO. Obviously Klay will always be the better shooter and almost certainly the better defender, but that versatile offensive skillset sets them apart on paper.

xaos likes this.
  5. mightybosstone

This is a reasonable take, and for the record, I was on team "draft Mobley" heading into the draft. But I'm fighting back the urge to say "I told you so," because I'm ultimately trying to buy into the guys who are actually on the team, not complain about the ones who aren't. It's still so absurdly early to judge this draft—these guys are in the infancy of their careers, and Green plays on a bad team with a lot of mouths to feed and a lot of young, developing players.

Nobody would look at the first half of the season and say Green has met expectations and has been a huge success, but he certainly isn't a bust yet either. If he's still shooting sub 40% from the floor with 30% from the 3-point line in May with a sub 1.0 AST/TO ratio, let's revisit the "bust or not" discussion in the offseason.

CXbby, xaos and Milos like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

hahaha! that’s cool man, good for you! Sounds a bit like a religious delirium, but who says being a sports fan is a rational thing to begin with? Investing our emotions, hitching our emotional well-being to a bunch of genetic-outlier millionaires playing a silly game makes us all a bit pathological. So from there it is really a short distance to being "ecstatic" over an "efficient" "future superstar". Good for you, man!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They get off on feeding trolls, you forgot.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I speak respectfully to those who deserve it, be it in person or here. Those who deserve my respect will always get it, those who deserve my scorn will equally get it.

In addition to that, I always give people the benefit of the doubt at first, if I don't know you and have never interacted with you, I assume that you are interacting in good faith. That said, I've had to deal with unacceptable levels of stupidity from that particular poster far too many times in the past to know that he's not ever discussing things in good faith.....that's why I know to treat him as nothing more than a mindless lolcow.

Let's face it, in person those kinds of people wouldn't approach me....or anyone that way unless they were already close personal friends. Disagreements between non-friends tend to be more civil because there are potential consequences to that kind of nonsense when in person.

9. dmoneybangbang

Bobby is delicious in small bites but I mostly keep him on ignore.

Amel and daywalker02 like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I think it’s both reasonable to believe that we should have taken Mobley or Barnes over Green (based on what what we’ve seen) and think Green can be more than just score first spark plug.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dang, he had some weird fetish with his rifle shooting small animals, squirrels.....

#1571 daywalker02, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes your patronizing matter of fact style of speech here would definitely get YOU in trouble in real life middle aged out of shape dude.

13. conquistador#11

Barnes in the month of January.
    13, 11, 6, 11, 7 and 8 points.

Rookies will struggle. Rookies will progress other will flame out and never reach their potential.

dmoneybangbang and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The argument has always been between "is" and "can".

I don't think anyone ever said that Green doesn't have the potential to develop into something one day, maybe. The argument was always about what he is right now.

Before he was drafted, I disagreed with the narrative that he was some NBA ready scoring god. I always saw him as a raw athlete, that's why I said before the draft that he had the highest bust potential of any of the consensus top prospects. When you have a guy that brings little more to the table than athleticism it's a lottery ticket with unknown odds. If Green fully develops different aspects of his game, he could be amazing, if he doesn't develop he's just another Corey Brewer.

I said that from day one, and I still see that.

That's why I'm still not willing to state what he can or can't become, just what he currently is. I think the odds of him developing into "the next Kobe" are insanely small....but sure, it's a possibility I guess. What I can say for sure though is that right now he's an absolute mess of a player. Freak speed and quickness is basically the only thing in his bag.

He's got years to add tricks to his bag though, so it'll be at least 2 years before we get resolution on this.....what we do know now though is that he's not going to come into the league like a Lebron type and dominate from day one. Right now I'd just settle for positive win shares from Green.

Salvy and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the trouble is with drafting such a player they can become good in years 6 or 8 like eg andrew wiggins as they set their franchises back near a decade and simply go to another team when finally ready....

16. dmoneybangbang

Sure, but I think in terms of probabilities Barnes has a greater chance. And some of that includes being drafted into Toronto which is out of a rookies’ hands.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, kid, you don't know me. I'm not quite "middle aged" and while I might be a disabled veteran....I sure haven't run across that many people who were willing to toss the dice and test your theory.

That's why I can laugh people like you off. You simply don't know what you are talking about. For attempted insults like that to be effective, it has to have at least a nugget of truth to it. Trust me, I'm REALLY good at that kind of thing.....I know what digs at people. Spouting off objectively nonsensical BS just doesn't move the needle.

You need to find an actual insecurity and go after that......but let me warn you, if you aren't good at it, you'll end up doing nothing but confession by projection.....which can potentially expose your own insecurities.

Or you could just put forth a bit of effort to debate the actual topic at hand. You know, your choice.

Salvy likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well fortunately the Rockets are in a pretty good situation for that with another top lottery pick coming up more than likely. Green doesn't have to EVER be the Alpha dog. If it takes him 2 or 3 years to develop into the player we all hope he can become while other young players are doing the heavy lifting, so be it.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Why do we even care about Green? We got Wood and Gordon....

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes your years of practicing trolling on Internet forums trying to "trigger" people as a middle aged man is a lot of cumulative experience.

I have a feeling you don't attempt "triggering" people you face in real life fobbit/pog/remf guy.