1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed . His skills are already highly developed for his age . His true potential is as a 2-way player .

his body just isn’t NBA ready yet . AND because of that we haven’t really seen his true athleticism yet .

his effort on D has impressed me . He gets lost for sure , but I like his intensity .

I think he is going to be a very good player . Looking at stats for 10 games in the rookie season is a useless exercise.

It takes playing elite defense to be the best . Durant , harden , lebron , Kawhi , giannis .. these guys only were in the discussion for 1 or 2 after they started playing great D .

The only exepction in recent memory is curry... and think about what it takes on offense to make up for it .

My point being ... greens skinny ass ain’t locking anyone up ... but no need to rush the muscle . Focus on being supple and thicc

2. xaos

xaos Member

liked this post for the content and the addition of the word supple

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

fools gold

SamFisher likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

learning from the best who still does it after 13 years in the league.

[​IMG]

Dobbizzle and DeBeards like this.
  5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Something that hasn't really been pointed out much on his shot that is concerning is how much his knees bend inwards. very unnatural and just armchair-bro-science here but it really could lead to injuries down the line. probably throws his equilibrium off as well.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

mechanics, motion, jump too high, form - reasons why he's not consistent

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man, thank god I made this thread, I had no idea there were this many people as optimistic as I am about Green. I was starting to feel like most of the board doesn't believe he'll fulfill his potential (or that he even has a high ceiling).

Green's G-League stint essentially turned him into a professional NBA practice player. He knows what kind of training and tactics are involved, he knows how to bounce back, not to get too down on himself, keep working, improve strength, etc. They taught him great NBA practice habits with players who are worth less than the vet minimum in the NBA. It's not as ahead of College as I thought, but it is ahead once the G League gets better talent and crowd atmosphere.

Looking at the players who were on Ignite with Jalen, you might say Brian Shaw did not know how to teach those players defensive positioning, they all seem bad at it.

#107 Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  8. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Is this thread meant to be serious? I honestly can't tell as I thought it was not but then the posts seem to be in earnest.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  9. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

3 things that I think Jalen needs to do during the offseason:

- Gain some weight and muscle to increase his upper body strength
    - Hire a good shooting coach to fix his overall jump shooting mechanics
    - Watch tons and tons of game film

Squirtle and DeBeards like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think inward is necessarily bad, Harden has a distinct inward knee motion on his jump shot too. I think Green's jump shot has more to do with his upper body form.

DeBeards likes this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I am bullish on Green too. My worry right now is the toll a losing season like this can take on a teams morale. Really tough to stay motivated or interested in a team that is so bad night in night out. What has happened to other rebuilding teams is that their best young players end up leaving the first chance they get because the team they were drafted with is one they have bad memories with and they don't want to be part of a losing ballclub anymore. Zach Levine comes to mind as one of those guys.

My hope is we see progress and at least enough wins this season for the team to stay excited, hopeful, and invested in playing.

NewAge and palmsnbananas like this.
  12. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Exactly, if the progress is too slow and the guy bails for his next contract then that is really the worst case scenario
    Then there was no reason to drafting him to begin with. Hopefully he develops faster or decides to stick with us even if he's a late bloomer

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The worst case scenario would be a Wiggins contract situation, where the Wolves shelled out a ridiculous contract betting on his potential, and then can't get rid of his contract.

If his progress is slow, we might get into a Curry situation where we get to low ball him only for him to bloom into an all-star player later on.

With super maxes being asked left and right by not even all stars like Ayton, Sexton, MPJ etc. some of these might end up really biting a team in the ass.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

exactly! positive reinforcement is the fuel for hard work. he needs some positives both as a team and as an individual player.
    that’s one reason I’ve been saying he should be coming off-the-bench, to give him minutes against second-stringers and reduce the humiliation and negative feelings…

15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bad example. Lavine was traded in the Jimmy Butler deal, he had no say in leaving.

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I appreciate the analysis, but I just want to say that Harden absolutely played off the ball well (and necessarily) in his first several years in the league. He was playing 30 mpg off the bench. So he had a LOT of overlap with Westbrick and Durant as they dominated the ball... I haven't looked up the numbers, but I'm pretty certain a high percentage of his 3s then were catch and shoot. And even his first couple years in Houston, he played off the ball quite a bit. Remember that backdoor cut + slam play with the pass from Parsons/Lin that seemed to happen a couple times every game? (just as an example)

HP3 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jalen will improve by the second half.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What has Brian Shaw ever done, I mean not in a disrespectful way but I do not remember him that well.

If he somehow coached Lonzo, Randle, Hart and Brandon Ingram.

They were not known for their defense either.

You folks treat him like a big shot.

Squirtle likes this.
  19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He absolutely needs to develop something (floater, Euro step, pull up bank shot, etc.) to give him more options in the 10 foot range. It's great that he can blow by his defender and that he's got that natural instinct to attack the rim head on, but that is not a recipe for consistent success at the NBA level. You've gotta mix it up.

cheke64 likes this.
  20. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeee.