1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course Harden had more assists, Harden was(is) one of the best playmakers in the league, but that has nothing to do with my point. I was just using him as a demonstration of the "scoring turnover" vs "playmaking turnover" concept. My point is that Green, right now, is essentially only trying to score, thats his role in the offense. So his turnovers are almost all "scoring turnovers", which is why his ratio is bad. If he was allowed to be a playmaker more often his ratio would improve. He is not more likely to create a turnover than he is to create an assist when put into a playmaking opportunity.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree, I was expecting more of a volume scorer that averages like 17 just based on touches alone...

Instead, (I'm not sure what his usage is and I honestly don't care to take the time to find out) it feels like his usage is low and he's still scoring 20 and doing it efficiently.

EDIT: Also, 2nd in rookie scoring, it's really a matter of time (knock on wood) that he leads rookies in scoring.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree Bobby is a troll and that Green is a far better playmaker than people give him credit for so far BUT I do think he still has a lot of work to do on making more than the first read. He does a decent job making a read of where the help is coming from and finding that man’s guy when appropriate but better defenses will help the helper so at some point Green will need to get better at finding the open man regardless of where the help came from. Sometime that will be skipping the ball to the opposite corner of the court to find an open shooter and he hasn’t don’t that just yet but I got hope that he will get there eventually.

…one other small thing I noticed him doing right before he went out with the hamstring - he is doing a much better job of doing something immediately when he gets the ball and not just surveying the coverage like he did in his first 15ish games. With his speed, the more he stays an active threat, the harder it will be for defenses to settle and the more it will create opportunities for other players with good off ball instincts like Mathews, KMJ, or even Tate.

vator likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Please type out his 19 year old assists and turnovers. Just do it. I just want to show other posters who might not know how hard you are trolling.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The guy is disingenuous as ****. It doesn’t matter what Green does, he’s going to move the goal post on to something else. It’s an impossible conversation.

6. fchowd0311

Ya I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

7. H. Christopher

we made the right choice :cool:

roslolian, RudyTBag and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's why it was weird that you even brought him up. Harden is a combo guard, Green is a pure SG.

Green is at his best scoring in transition or when he can blow by his own guy....he scores for himself, which is valuable. He's not a guy that can create for others....but we knew that. That's not what is asked of him because it's not what he can do.

His ratio is bad, because his handle is weak and his passing is poor...but he's young and that's not his game.

I think it's important to note that the reason this conversation started was because some delusional Green fans were trying to slot their guy in at the PG, which would be a disaster. I certainly never suggested that. I wouldn't be judging his lack of passing or playmaking for others as a SG, it's simply not something that is relevant to his role.....but if would be if the Rockets were stupid enough to try to play him at PG.

He has all he can handle trying to learn how to play defense and leaning to be a more consistent 3 point shooter....those things are relevant to his role. It seemed like damn near every point in the 4th quarter was scored on him tonight. That should be his primary focus.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Yup, agreed. I don’t think JG should be our PG, but saying he’s the worst passing guard on the roster is inaccurate. His stats may not reflect it but he’s a competent passer, and to me he’s making the right plays even when he turns it over. With reps, his turnovers should come down the more he has the ball. I can see him being a combo guard some day just because he puts a lot of pressure on the defense on his drives.

pippendagimp and glimmertwins like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL you never get tired of making excuses for your idol.

SMH. Much like with Lin, I never disliked him as a player, but his fans were godawful. With Green it's the same.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Even when he praises the players he stan for: KPJ/ Garry bird, he has to sht on Green with slights.

Calls Garry bird/kpj the "star guards", between KPJ and Green only 0.1% shooting percentage different, Green is the "lesser shooter".

But everyone else is a super fan, while he's the logically one. so much bs.

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nevermind

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…I’m with you on the hate of bandwagon fans who like a player regardless of what they do but ******** on popular players because of their fan base regardless of what they do is literally the same behavior.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

doth protest too much

It's sad but I believe you. I believe you really don't care either way about the actual play of Jalen Green. Yes, you are fueled by triggering people on the internet... Not as some high school socially awkward kid who needs an outlet to feel special and receive attention but as a middle aged man.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

I put him in my ignore list a long time ago. I suggest everyone should put bobby on ignore as well.

Easy, roslolian and RudyTBag like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his passing has actually impressed me. where he needs more work is the ballhandling, which is not very good right now. if he tightens that up this summer and gets stronger to be able to take contact, he's going to make great strides towards being a complete guard (offensively). and if he eventually adds a floater and midrange pullup, my oh my

cmoak1982, harold bingo and Rocketeer like this.
  17. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Yup. No hate to Mobley, but you can tell how much he benefits from having great playmakers on his team as well as having Allen draw the defense's attention. Mobley shot like 0-11 in the game Allen sat out. He's still going to be an amazing player, but that doesn't mean JG won't be amazing either

roslolian likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JG is so gawdamn good.

Pity the fool that can't see it yet.

Can't wait to add one of Banchero/Jabari/Holmgren/Ivey to this squad... :D

jcmoon, cmoak1982 and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think his ball handling is also affected by his lack of strength. Whenever he is crowded or gets bumped he tends to lose his dribble. One of the things a guard needs in this league is holding his dribble in traffic and through contact.

Easy and pippendagimp like this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I said it before and I will say it again, folks who try to call a rookie's career less than half a season in are a special kind of stupid. Even if they end up being right, they are still stupid.