1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yup It means Green has to put in twice as much work as the other two. I believe in him honestly, I want him to succeed.

I think what we see after this off season will tell us more about Green's future. If he has the work ethics he was always praised for, he needs to show that by training Kobe Style in the summer.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yes . Still too early to say . Green needs to catch up to Barnes in the nba body department. Mobley is a twig too , but if you’re gonna be a twig early on it helps to be 7ft .

I viewed green as the “safer” pick . Barnes had shooting issues coming in and Mobley by virtue of being 7ft has a perceived injury risk . But , also because of their size I thought they had a greater ceiling .

green’s shooting was not as advertised early on ... oh well , small sample and dude had other things to focus on too . I will say , green absolutlely does have the next level athleticism to take over games if he can get his body up to par . It doesn’t matter that he can blow by ppl right now because a slight bump will slow him down too much ... and even if he can get up , he can’t power through contact at the rim .

we are prolly 2 years away from seeing what the finished product will start to look like . Plenty of time to work on skills too

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I view him as the 2nd pick and historically 2nd picks were mixed bags.

I do not think anyone is safe to be honest with you.

He looks improved and good for now.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The problem with Green at #2 over someone like Mobley and Barnes is that players that can defend like they can instantly bring so much to the table when it comes to winning. So Barnes (and especially) Mobley are very good defenders with excellent length and the ability to play and defend multiple positions. They only need to be "good" offensively to be stars. Someone like Mobley, you can build your entire defense around and hide poor defenders with........ So for someone like Green, that has limited defensive tools to be as good, they need to REALLY be dominant offensively and run the offense. It can and may happen, but you really need to hit on them.

It's why I look at someone like Holmgren and think a GM better be certain they are getting a star player if they pass on Holmgren in the draft. Holmgren is going to be an elite defender, he will alter lots of shots, he rotates very well, he plays hard and makes very few mistakes and he is a good straight up man defender and a great team defender. Someone like that, with some offensive skills is very valuable.

jcmoon, cmoak1982 and burlesk like this.
  5. MystikArkitect

What makes you say that Mobley is an oversized wing? And can you compare him to another oversized wing? I have an oversized wing in mind that is similar in height and I'm hard pressed to imagine a situation where Mobley becomes that. He looks like a nimble C out there. His defensive control and patience is outstanding. His offense pretty average (as is Barnes).

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Completely disagree. In my mind, it's way easier to build around a offensive-oriented SG with defensive shortcomings than a defensive-oriented forward with limited offensive upside.

Answer this: Is it easier to build around James Harden or Ben Simmons? Devin Booker or Rudy Gobert?

Now, if you're saying there's less risk with Mobley, I completely agree. I just also believe there is less upside.

jcmoon, burlesk and Nook like this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Nook... Would you rather have Green/Holmgren or Mobley/Ivey?

8. Nook

Nook Member

First, I don't know what you consider limited upside on offense? I assume you are talking about scoring. What do you consider limited upside? 20 points a game?

Second, James Harden is one of the 5 best scorers in NBA history so I don't really think that comparing him to Ben Simmons is a fair comparison at all. That doesn't even take into the account that Harden is an elite passer as well.

I will take Rudy Gobert over Devin Booker........ I can find scorers that are not great defenders or passers easier than I can find someone I can build my defense around.

Will I take a superstar like Harden or Curry that can score and run an offense? Absolutely, but the odds are not great you get someone like that..... but I will take someone like Gobert over a scoring guard that doesn't run an offense...... Ill take Gobert even over Beal most likely.

burlesk likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm... probably Mobley/Ivey but I am a really big Ivey fan and we already know how good Mobley is. I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if Green/Holmgren ended up being better.

The Rockets could go Holmgren and address their defense and then attempt to add a point guard down the road. Holmgren would help cover for Green defensively and Green would take pressure off Holmgren to score in a half court set.

Green/Ivey would be an interesting backcourt as well.

xaos likes this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

My dream scenario is move Green to PG, draft Holmgren and go from there.

Sengun/Garuba
    Holmgren/KMJ
    TBD
    Christopher
    Green

As our young core goimg into 2022-2023.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you hate the team?

Green isn't a competent ball handler or passer....why would anyone put him at PG unless the goal is just to maximize the number of shots he gets in order to pad his stats to the detriment of the team?

Why not just put Christopher at PG? Or KMJ at PG? Or literally anyone if ball handling and passing aren't requirements to play the PG.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Too early to tell if Green has it in him to be a full time pg but for that sf position, I think Tate has earned a spot for the future of this team. He can be a more offensive capable PJ Tucker

groovemachine likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Green's handle has actually been really good. He's tightened them and has more confidence in them hence why he's getting to the paint far more often the past week. He's also really good at passing off of pick and rolls with well timed accurate passes.

Look, I understand it's a fruitless endeavor interacting with you. You'll give the most hyperbolic take of Green because I'm pretty sure at this point you see yourself as someone who brings "balance" to your perception that most of us thinks he's the next Michael Jordan. You dug yourself into this hole and now you are committed. I get it.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green has a fairly loose handle but has been fine as a passer and has been fine with the limited amount of reps he has gotten in the PnR.

I simply believe in his ability to tighten his handle enough. Christopher may have a better handle but I dont think he is a better passer. I do like the idea of Josh playing some pg though.

Green as a matured ball handler and passer operating as a primary ball handler is what we should hope for in todays NBA. He only gets there by practicing and getting game reps now.

I just believe in Green. As you post in every thread, I understand you regret us picking Green over Mobley.

Let's revisit this at the end of 2023-2024, I personally believe Green will be the better player by then. Until then, carry on with slighting Green to prop up Mobley.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really hasn't, but that's okay.

The important part is that he's not a player consistently capable of running an offense, either for himself or for others. He's still an off-ball scorer or transition scorer....you know, a SG.

When it comes to PG skills, Green would be firmly behind KPJ, Augustin, Sengun, Christopher, Brooks, Gordon, hell maybe even Tate.

The push for him to be a PG is solely those who want to pad his stats at the detriment of the team....it's Lin fan type BS and it needs to stop.

I've appreciated the fact that he's starting to improve into a one way player, but he's got a LONG way to go before even breaking even as a player overall.....and trying to force him into a PG spot would only make that more difficult.

You know how many players on the team that have played more than 100 minutes have more turnovers than assists?

2. Theis and Green. People would be insane to want either of them as PG.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Me not wanting a player who has more turnovers than assists to be the PG has nothing to do with any other player in the league. It's just a foolish idea.....it's attempting to hammer a square cube in a round hole.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yes. We all know how you feel. To suggest that Gordon or Brooks have been better passers than Green this year is wrong though. Green is looking better in this aspect game to game. He needs the ball in his hands to make mistakes and get better.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

It actually has improved. You can literally see it from the last few games compared to his first few weeks.

Before when he would use his first step to go by a defender and the defender was side by side with him, his handles were weak enough were the defender could easily strip the ball or veer him off course. Now he his handles are tighter and less prone to be stripped. Hence his surge in drives to the rim recently.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, if I'm being the most charitable, it has improved from terrible to bad......but we're not talking about someone that should even be in conversation for the point.

He has a quick first step, which helps him drive and hope to get fouled....which is valuable....but he's not someone that has any business even attempting to run an offense. Basically all of our other guards are better at it than him. Not driving to the rim, but running an offense.

He plays exactly the position he was initially sold as, a SG. As of right now, he doesn't have combo guard potential, but he could be a solid one way SG one day. IMO that's what we should focus on.

20. dmoneybangbang

He reminded me of a taller (2 inches) Andrei Kirilenko pre draft, an AK 2.0 terrorizing the weak side.