1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. MystikArkitect

Green is a better natural playmaker than Booker. Devin is a SG thru and thru. Not a combo guard. He's like Jayson Tatum. Hence why they have ceilings lower than players like Morant and Mitchell. Green has a higher ceiling than Book (if he puts in the work).

Check out the last 2 minutes of the Grizz/Cavs to see why you invest in guards over bigs.

This team needs a competent PG and a competent rim protector. If Green pans out that's the hardest thing to find. You can find serviceable bigs that don't trip over their own feet and block shots in the late 1st round.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

I just posted in the game thread that the Cavs would’ve been golden either way had we drafted Mobley and they drafted Jalen Green because of what they have already on the roster. They would’ve traded Sexton most likely for another significant piece. Garland and Green would be a young, scary, and dynamic backcourt. Then you still have Allen at the 5, Markkanen and Love at the 4 and plug in a 3 and D small forward, maybe even what they would’ve gotten for Sexton. Right now it’s Okoro and Osman. They have a glut at the 4/5 right now.

We’d probably have a mini mutiny on the board of people posting Jalen Green’s highlights, arguing that we should’ve picked him, and derailing topics.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As the saying goes, the grass is always Greener next door. :D

4. xaos

xaos Member

One thing that I don't see get talked about much is defenses really respect Green's skills/first step and focus on him. Part is he talked a big talk before stepping foot on an NBA court but another thing is his skillset/ability. I think he is more ahead of the curve than even his numbers suggests because of this. He's not just secretly getting 5 really easy shots a game and others contested.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

this is a great point. When he was playing poorly, people loved pointing out that many of his misses were uncontested. Which was true. But the point is that he gets a lot of uncontested 3’s due to respect for his first step, which is rare and valuable.

As he becomes better and better at knocking them down, he will become even more dangerous (as long as he doesn’t fall in love with only 3’s).

6. MystikArkitect

I dont think that the Cavs are unhappy with the way things panned out. But that core with Green has a higher upside then the same core with Mobley. Theyre great defensively but in the clutch, where it matters, wings are always more valuable than bigs.

The elite bigs in the league are Jokic (41), Giannis (15), Embiid (3), Davis (1) and Bam (14).

The elite wings are Lebron (1), Steph (7), Harden (3), Trae (5), Luka (3), Ja (2), Durant (2), Kawhi (14) and maybe Tatum (3).

Outside of Giannis, almost every title contender was built around a superstar wing. The two greatest teams ever assembled (Bulls and Warriors) had serviceable bigs at best.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hilarious; the Pistons have a total of 7 wins and they just recently won a game without Cade. What a dumb reason to keep him that low

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

They both have better supporting casts; the Raptors 'ship core is still intact minus Kawhi and Mobley has Garland, Rubio, Sexton, Love, and Allen to help out

Verbal Christ and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is a decent chance that Okoro would develop as well.

10. dmoneybangbang

That is true, but I also feel like they would be better at this point without superior rosters.

Time will ultimately reveal the superior prospect. I think Green flashes why we took him #2 but a lot is still unknown. Fortunately Green cares a lot and works very hard on his game.

Verbal Christ and Mathloom like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Donovan Mitchell was also drafted 13th. If we were to re-do that draft he would also be drafted No.2 behind Taytum.

There's been a lot of misses at No. 2 over the years.

vator and Nook like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Mobley is an oversized wing.
    Barnes is a thic, two way point forward in the making.

They just have tantalizing physical traits and attributes that gives them such a higher ceiling if it works out.

I was team Green before the draft, while I don’t necessarily have buyers remorse it’s hard to deny these guys are working out on almost the best case scenario. Yes they have the superior rosters around them, but they are fully taking advantage of everything.

Green maybe has the best first step in the league but he isn’t particularly big or strong at this point. There are a lot of of great possibilities with Green but it’s more of a process right now.

snowconeman22 and apollo33 like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This is about right. I expect Green to keep improving throughout the season, and he will likely end up top 4 by the end of it. I think if he can learn to grab some more rebounds and dish more assists it would help with us winning more games too. right now he is a pure scorer.

xaos and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It is also worth mentioning that Both Mobley and Barnes have improved their offense throughout the season, and they will continue to do so. Their defense are already very good, and when their offense catches up they would have higher upsides.

Green's offense and defense are both raw and need work, although his offense is a bit more tuned. He also needs to gain more strength and playmaking abilities.

It's very hard to say who can peak higher, but there are a lot of moving parts Green needs to improve vs. Mobley and Barnes who only needs to work on their offense.

dmoneybangbang and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry, had to chuckle.

Buyer's remorse? Why do people think they picked Green. The Front Office did.

While some people might identify totally with the Front Office and their decisions, I do not, they cannot take away my voice!

Carry on!

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think people liked Green because they want to side with the Front office. Green was on a lot of people's personal lists as No. 2 picks before the draft.

I personally my top 3 like below slightly favoring Green because I thought he was more NBA ready then Mobley and I value guards slightly more than Forwards, and I definitely have buyer's remorse because Green is like the most raw player out of the top 10 imo.

1.Cade
    2.Green
    3. Mobley

dmoneybangbang and daywalker02 like this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Green is improving rapidly though. If he reaches his max potential, he'll be a stud.

xaos likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Think it was 50-50.
    I never advocated for Mobley either but hopped on his and Sengün‘s wagon because I liked what I saw from them.

I was not totally against Green because I had not seen any footage and followed the hype but I certainly regretted it after the Draft immediately.

I got a problem with wording from some posters who generalize things because they take it for granted that the majority wanted Green.

I am not so sure.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say Mobley and Barnes specifically are closer to their max ceiling than Green is to his max ceiling because those guys came into the NBA with NBA ready bodies in terms of muscle mass and Green did not. Once Green fills out, I think he has potential to leap frog those two. Because he's doing what he's doing now with a non NBA ready body.

apollo33 likes this.