1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is some cavity experience.

@Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He needs a PG, and a coach to put him a situation to succeed. Porter is an abysmal guard for him to be playing alongside, and that was very predictable.

He's simply not physically ready to be a primary scorer in the NBA right now, and I wish we would cut back on his minutes.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think you are right on all accounts except I think he needs to go ahead and get a lot of reps in. The things he needs to become more of a physical presence won't be served by him being on the bench and the decision making is there but he needs reps to do it at NBA speed. If I thought he could learn more about the game from the bench, then I would agree but I think he is actually fairly aware of how the game is supposed to flow in theory but I suspect his biggest deficit is in making those reads and passes quicker and he won't be able to practice that from the bench.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

7. xaos

xaos Member

I get what you're trying to do @Mathloom but this thread is just going to be regurgitated opinions by the same people claiming the same things over and over again.

8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

In the combined two videos you posted there is only one time he beat his man 1on1 in a set defense, the other was him coming down the court with a head of steam while the other guy was standing still. So now I’ve seen it twice

The goalposts are what the OP stated which is he is “prolific at beating his man” off the dribble. I should have said I’ve rarely seen it rather than I’ve never seen it, obviously in 10 games it’s happened a few times.

jiggyfly and 19bernardo87 like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

If you take a player and clone him. One guy scoring and the other clone defending; same athleticism, same foot speed. The dribbler usually has the advantage. Bipedal humans move faster going forward than pedalling backwards or laterally. So given enough runway. one would hope most penetrators beat their man.

If he's able to finish scoring at the rim, be it after contact or have another move to misdirect the defender to mistime their 1st jump, then look into it. And I don't mind him probing defense and draw it back out if he can't get in. Look for a better shot.

Think most Rocker fans know it's going a project, but is it more palatable if he impacts the game in other ways? How do CFers feel about Green's defense? Is the defense coming along with the Green Experience?

#49 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who are you referring to in the last sentence? It sounds like you're talking about Jalen but in context I think you're talking about Porter Jr.

Porter Jr has been bad overall. But I still think he's been miles better than Jalen Green. His defense has improved dramatically since last season and I have been happy to be able to at least point to some improvement. It does feel like he's regressed offensively but I have to believe he can find his way back there.

Anyhow, I would much rather see Jalen Green's minutes reduced than Porter Jr. At least we can consistently depend on Porter Jr on one end of the court whereas Jalen Green has just been overwhelmed on both sides of the ball.

As to the topic at hand, OP is way more optimistic than I am. And I hope the OP is right. I'll leave it at that.

#50 Williamson, Nov 9, 2021
    19bernardo87, CXbby and Mathloom like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with an optimistic thread and it's going to be aligned with his performance as the season progresses. No one is asking to ignore the negatives, I put them front and center in the OP. There can also be a place where we tell each other what we noticed he is doing well lately. Is that really so horrible?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Nope, not at all and I'm glad you did. I was just saying what was going to happen.

i3artow i3aller and Mathloom like this.
  13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

His shot is fine, there is nothing wrong with it. He has a high release and yes it looks a bit unorthodox. The problems that he's having is on some of those bump off jumpers, he can't move his man because he's a lightweight still. He's in the process off figuring out that he's going to have to use speed and quickness to get around guys. In High School, he was bigger than all the guards so he was able to power through guys as well or just jump over them. It's just going to take time but his mechanics and creating separation is there. If he hit half of the shots hes missed we wouldn't be having this discussion.

pippendagimp and Mathloom like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Euro Step is sorely lacking in his game, perfect for his lightness/explosiveness, would solve his issues at the rim. Floater next.

DeBeards, DaDakota, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You said you "hadn't seen it"and " missed it" ... the "rarely" you just added.

But ..now you have seen it. Problem solved! You're welcome.

Here's another for you:

xaos likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have been absolutely shocked to discover it's not in his game. He just charges into people and gets the offensive foul instead. It's wild.

Crashlanded19 and Mathloom like this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The most hilarious thing about all the "he's the worst rookie ever" takes is that he's still being ranked in the top 10 whilst playing terribly. I'm not sure half the posters here have ever actually watched basketball or the average rookie. Imagine being so good that you can play very badly for many games and still be 5th in PPG for rookies and ranked in the top 10 of every rookie ladder I've seen. When he plays well a lot of you will look so, so damn foolish.

18. SamFisher

Here's another one for you:

xaos likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is because there ain't many rookies playing and those that were playing are not performing (other than Barnes, Duarte, Mobley, Wagner, Sengün etc).

He still gets decent scoring numbers because of 2 games.

This is a precursor for half the season I guess barring surprises.

I am disappoint already.

The whole draft class had the worst hype.

#59 daywalker02, Nov 9, 2021
  20. SamFisher

xaos likes this.