1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok, I guess you think I care.

Did it really bother you that much that I don't think anybody should be bringing up Kobe or MJ in a discussion of Green?

Really?

#4901 jiggyfly, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I was just helping @Houston77 out by sourcing the post as I'm on neither of the extremes ("Jalen is the next Kobe. Full Stop" or "Jalen sucks so bad we wished he was as good as Corey Brewer") in regards to Green. I've maintained that we had to give the kid time before we make any judgment on him or how good/bad he will be.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What Edwards did was nowhere near as impressive.....he just chucked more to boost his scoring numbers. He's still a fairly low efficiency high volume chucker.

Jalen went from literally the worst player in the league by many metrics for half the season to a guy who over the past month of games is scoring 20 points a game on higher efficiency than Anthony Edwards could ever dream of.

Going from that bad to that good this fast is ridiculously rare.....it basically doesn't happen.

Lloyd Estacio and hakeem94 like this.
  4. marky :)

marky :) Member

What metrics were those?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I get it but too many people are falling for the Bobby troll job and getting mad at people that have legitimate questions.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You could have looked at TPA or RAPTOR that had him dead last in the league or just looked at pretty much any other metric that had him in the bottom few of the league. Win shares had him as the worst player on the team and one of the worst in the league.

Basically across the board every metric had him as someone who didn't belong on an NBA court.

A lot of those still have him ranked pretty poorly due to the hole he dug himself, but he's made progress with a month of very good play.

marky :) likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As someone who watched the Thunder from the start.

As someone who watched Harden, the game can change a lot during a lengthy career.

#4907 daywalker02, Mar 10, 2022
  8. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Really?
    You really want to get into this?
    If you actually watched him play this year, you will see it wasn't just last night's game where he made clutch buckets.
    I compared his WORK ETHICS to MJ and Kobe.
    Quit twisting my words and don't reply to me anymore.
    People like you are perma ignored from now on.
    Have fun trolling other posters.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok

It's like you just missed the numbers that showed they are shooting about the same percentages.

Not falling for your trolling antics.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You actually don't know what his work ethic is thanks for making my point.

And the sad fact is you think that's trolling, get out your feelings my guy.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....Anthony Edwards only has a .516 eFG% THIS year....during his AMAZING run the second half of last season it was only .525. He's just a chucker that shot more.

To compare those, Jalen Green has a .593 eFG% over the past month compared to a .447 eFG% before that. He went from laughably terrible, to better than Anthony Edwards could ever dream of when it comes to efficiency.

Sorry guy, those are the facts.

fchowd0311 and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  12. steddinotayto

Fun facts:

WAR rankings for notable scorers taken in the lottery:

Jalen Green: 250th out of 250 players as of 3/10

2014/2015: Zach Lavine, rookie season: 250th out of 250 players
    2015/2016: Devin Booker, rookie season: 237th out of 250 players
    2016/2017: Jaylen Brown, rookie season: 234th out of 250 players
    2017/2018: Jayson Tatum, rookie season: 51st out of 250 players
    2018/2019: Trae Young, rookie season: 196th out of 250 players
    2019/2020: Darius Garland, rookie season: 250th out of 250 players
    2020/2021: Anthony Edwards, rookie season: 235th out of 250 players

So it's more often than not to find a rookie guard near the bottom of RAPTOR rankings than it is to find them near the upper half (Tatum).

EDIT: Apologies to everyone (specific to @Bobbythegreat ) as this data is WAR and not RAPTOR like I previously posted. BUT below is the RAPTOR rankings:

Jalen Green, 250th out of 250
    Zach Lavine: 300th out of 300
    Devin Booker: 235th out of 250
    Jaylen Brown: 237th out of 250
    Jayson Tatum: 82nd out of 250
    Trae Young: 205th out of 250
    Darius Garland: 250th out of 250
    Anthony Edwards: 239th out of 250

#4912 steddinotayto, Mar 10, 2022
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough.....but what about being at or near the bottom of all of the others, at the same time?

14. steddinotayto

Other what, metrics? I can look at whatever metric you want and bring it back to this forum without bias.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Go for it tell me why every single metric is bunk in an attempt to suggest Jalen Green wasn't absolutely terrible the first half of the season.... that's the task you have at hand if you want to push that false narrative.

Or you could simply accept that he was absolute trash for half the season, as evidenced by literally all of the metrics, before a phenomenal turnaround over the past month.

Your choice.

16. MystikArkitect

Responding to a troll is falling for his antics.

I think we can safely say that Cade, Jalen and Mobley are all playing like they were in consideration for the #1 overall pick. That's pretty wild as it's unheard of in almost any draft. Even Darko went #2 in the Lebron/Wade/Melo draft. Jalen looked like the best offensive rookie yesterday by a *mile*.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Best game of the year by far. Very excited at our future prospects. With a high draft pick this year could mean the Rockets become competitive sooner than we expected. Green last night was a different player than he was most of the season. Very encouraging. All the young guns looked great.

kdchilds likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Cool I ain't mad.

I still say let's see how the year finishes.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I wonder what's the next metric that these "geniuses" gonna create to tear down NBA talent...

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

LOL I simply asked you to clarify what stats/metrics you wanted me to post. No where in my post (or any post I've made in regards to Green) did I dispute he wasn't either near the bottom of the list or wasn't good. That's YOUR task at hand if you want to waste time trying to find that receipt because it's never happened.

Point being: Your narrative that his turnaround is something of a phenomenon is totally extreme because there's been historical evidence of rookies turning their season around while also ranking near or at the bottom of WAR and RAPTOR rankings. Just because YOU say it "hasn't happened before" or "this never happens" doesn't mean it's true. I think I should just be glad that your acknowledging his performance as of late to be something great because that would at least confirm that your premature assessment of his career was egregiously incorrect.