1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Green has everything.... HIS SHOT IS JUST NOT FALLING WITH REGULARITY.

He tends to shoot with his elbow away from his body, which takes away from his shot. His shot is always dead on but it falls short a lot.

If he simply bring the elbow closer, lock it in, it will give his shot more lift/power to get over the rim.

I'm sure they will work with him in the off-season.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green's positive - highly athletic

Green's negative - currently not good at basketball

Give him a few years.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

JG 50pt game tonight confirmed!!!!!!!

4. BonziWellsGOAT

Jesus, get a life.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Just admit you don't watch games. He beats his defender all the time in every game, that's not really the issue. The issue is after beating them he gets blocked or doesn't finish. I can think of so many situations right now where he gets by his initial defender easily but then doesn't really know what to do with it.

In the Lakers games alone he blew by his defender twice and ran straight into Lebron who took the charge, he also blew by his defender only to get stuffed/fouled by Melo. He blew by Chris Paul quite easily and then gets blocked by Booker at the rim. That's just off top of my head without even watching videos.

Also everytime he has drawn fouls it's usually due to him beating his man on the perimeter. Green is has a really quick first step, but the ball handling, lack of physicality, and a lack of finishing moves make it hard for him to convert those. That's the work in progress that might take a few years. Right now he's a straight line player.

IvanLCPM, Deckard, Dobbizzle and 8 others like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

#26 SamFisher, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Deckard, i3artow i3aller and B-Bob like this.
  7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Um I do watch the games that’s why I’m confused as to why it’s being said that he is “prolific” at getting by his man I think it’s hyperbole, or is OP actually being serious?

I see him get the defender on his hip a few times a game but he usually gets bumped and loses the ball or he stops and backs it out. I see him on the perimeter looking for 3s or engaged in pick and roll the vast majority of the game?

In a set half court defense I rarely if ever have seen him beat his man and finish at the rim, is it bc we have no spacing and he gets cutoff by the help defender? Or isn’t good at finishing, maybe he is beating his man but he has to stop and back out bc there’s no path to the rim?

19bernardo87 likes this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm surprised anyone is questioning his ability to beat his initial defender. That's like one of his best attributes so far, IMO, but as has been mentioned, he has no idea what to do after he does (most of the time). He's gotten blocked at the rim VERY often after doing this, and I think a large part of that is that we play these lineups with 2 bigs so there's not a lot of space. A lot of the time you'll see him beat his man and then just back it out and pass the ball to someone else. He used to really like running straight into the chest of 7 footers and throw up a prayer, which is why he's gotten blocked so often, but doesn't do that so much anymore. He also has gotten blocked from behind fairly often by the defender he was able to beat off the dribble. He needs to figure out how to use his body to avoid those blocks (Eric Gordon is really good at this), or learn how to draw some fouls at the rim (he has shown improvement here). The former probably requires more strength than he has right now, hopefully that will come with some nba strength training and some time.

The one thing I'm surprised you have on here as a positive is his shot, I don't really agree on that one. To me his shot is possibly his biggest negative, it just looks weird, sorta has a hitch in it, shoots it from out in front, and also shoots the ball like 20 feet in the air. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone with as much arc on their jumpshot as Jalen. I'm not sure he needs a complete rework of his jumpshot, we've obviously seen some guys with weird form that make it work, but I'd say it's my biggest worry so far.

Bo6 and Williamson like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

This. His first step is other worldly, it’s everything that comes after the first step that is the problem right now.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to get into the mindset of a typical Jalen Green fan. What they mean by "prolific" is that he's done a thing before.

If they can find an example of him EVER successfully beating his man off the dribble, to them it means he's amazing at it. That he's the next Kobe Bryant.

Just like how if he EVER has a hot shooting night, it means he's a great shooter.

You have to realize that to these types, they view Jalen Green as one would their son....someone they have a deep emotional connection with, whereas most normal people just see him as they would any other basketball player.

Rodman23 likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The @Jontro experience is also coming

#31 ThatBoyNick, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green will get some consistency and eventually combine speed, athleticism, shooting, and foul drawing into a nice little package…Jalen Green haters, your day is coming

Mathloom, fattz, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I look forward to the day when he no longer sucks.

NewAge likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The @Jontro experience

get it right :)

Jontro, Deckard, Mathloom and 3 others like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Deserves it's own thread.

Jontro likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, you're backpedaling like Wes Matthews on James Harden circa 2018.

You said you "hadn't seen it" and asked if you "were missing something". You were provided with the ability to see content you missed - just from whatever is available on YouTube, not even considering all of the non highlight worthy tape.

Now you move the goalposts to prolific - whatever. He has the ability to beat his man off the dribble, as evidenced by your own eyes. Enough.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That’s what I said

Jontro likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

He dips to the left when he shoots. That can be fixed, but the question is whether he is someone that can make the improvements permanent through muscle memory. His touch is soft, so if he ever gets his mechanics right, he should be a good shooter. His issue is that he is such an inconsistent shooter and a lot of his attempts are poor.

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The good news is that he's like 12 years old still, so there's plenty of time for him to fix it though it could take a few years.

The rumor is that he's got a legendary work ethic, so there's reason for hope, but there won't be instant results.

Mathloom likes this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Watch that one - specifically at the 8 minute mark - speaks to exactly what you are saying.