1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The vast majority were just referring to style of play. Super athletic, score first off guard with a fluid like motion and quickness, not level.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

4. dmoneybangbang

Im sure.

But this is where the Kobe/MJ comparisons got started….

Not that Green will be as good as those players, but he looks up to them and tries to emulate their work ethic. People weren’t saying Green was going to be the next Kobe and MJ

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The talk of "Mamba mentality" and "MJ work ethic" when it comes to a prospect is just a cowardly way of trying to suggest that the prospect has upside of a Kobe or MJ that they can walk back later when the prospect ends up the 2nd worst player in the entire league.....which is exactly what has happened right now.

The second he has a game where he scores more points than shots taken, the ridiculous MJ-Kobe talk resumes.

Sorry, it's completely transparent what you guys are trying to do. That kind of sophistry really isn't going to fool many people.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I take it you didn’t read the rest of the thread then?
    All I said is that people were making the comparisons predraft and in summer league.
    I didn’t make the comparison. All I’ve said is it’s not fair to the kid.
    And if he is making the comparison he’s setting himself up for failure. I like that he wants to push, but get your feet wet first.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You realize that’s comparing the two right?

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There are literal videos claiming he’s the next Jordan. This is not hyperbole

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

This is where I believe Green deserves his criticism. If he is going to be great and make bold statements like this (ROY, disrespected by being picked 2 etc) he simply needs to be able to handle criticism. He is setting the bar for himself publicly. The best way to handle criticism is to get to work and have the right people around you. Green's story has just begun. Glad he's on our team so we can watch the player he develops into first hand.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he deserves criticism for going along with the laughable hype surrounding him, I think he deserves criticism for being the 2nd worst overall player in the NBA.

Going along with delusional fans and bad basketball analysts is understandable.

11. dmoneybangbang

I did and I didn’t see anything you were speaking about. Maybe quote the posts instead of a long thread?

Is Jalen saying he is the next Kobe or is saying he models himself after Kobe with his attitude and work ethic? Seems like it’s a big difference….

12. dmoneybangbang

Then prove me wrong and post them. I don’t remember such videos being taken seriously.

#352 dmoneybangbang, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  13. dmoneybangbang

Is Jalen Green not handling the criticism? Has he come out and said something to suggest otherwise?

Is Green not working? Does he have the wrong people around him?

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

there were many who were talking about level and not style of play…I know because I was knee deep in all those threads

I’m not about to put these posters on blast, so I’ll just put the quote without referring to them, but after just a 2 second search

“Don't overcomplicated this...Draft Jalen Green. He has Jordan/Kobe/Harden potential.”

“So is Ja Morant, Bradley Beal, Kobe and even Jordan. Not saying that he will be like any but he has already shown the potential.”

“How do you pass up on the next Kobe level player on both ends of the court?”

and there’s plenty more

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kobe was a KILLER - I don't see that in Green at all.

DD

NewAge likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

"He deserves the criticism" does not equal "he isn't handling it well". I'm a big Jalen Green supporter and believe in him a lot.

17. dmoneybangbang

I guess then I don’t understand your reply?

18. dmoneybangbang

Which is different than claiming to be next Kobe or MJ.

Im sure you’ll find some videos with a few hundred or thousands views claiming Green is the next Kobe or MJ.

But no one who was serious about making draft projections was comparing him to MJ or Kobe. If they were, it was because of his work ethic.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not a long thread. He’s compared to MJ, Kobe, Durant, AI in that thread alone.

And it doesn’t matter the distinction, whether he’s claiming to be the next Kobe or have that mentality. He’s comparing himself to Kobe.
    I don’t understand the nitpicking on the word “comparing”, when you or anyone puts his name in the same sentence with MJ or Kobe or any all timer, that’s comparing the two.
    There’s quite a few posts that flat out say he’s the next Jordan.
    And again, this conversation started because I said a simple fact, that people have been comparing him to MJ and Kobe.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is just one of many