1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps you will be right.

But how many teams in history of NBA has been able to successfully START three 7 footers?

Especially in modern era of NBA that emphasizes and rewards GUARD play?

Our Rockets team cannot even field TWO bigs without failing catastrophically.

Verbal Christ and NewAge like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Only the teams that have at least one shooting big out of the three. Three non shooting bigs would be tough.

I wish the Rockets had Darius Garland instead of KPJ running the point.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This adversity this season will define Green's career. I did not like his cocky attitude about wanting to be ROY but I assumed he could back it up so I just rolled with it. He can either use this season as motivation to live up to the standards that he himself has declared for himself, or he can make excuses and never put in the high amount of work that he would need to put in in order to become a great player.

I have confidence and hope that it will be the former reaction from Green. I expect a more quiet humbleness in Green going forward.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its too hard to whittle down that argument. You're throwing yourself into the HISTORIC realm of fan reaction after 50 games. Quick off top I guess I can only answer with Giannis, but does Mobley remind you of Giannis? Like in any way? Even Giannis needed time to become what he is. He was your guy all along so kudos for that and its en vogue right now just to pile on Jalen and high five every one of his mistakes. Some have a strange way of supporting this team. Not sure why your ego needs to be stroked, but do you my guy. This debate will not be settled this year in the same way you cant with a straight face say that Mobley is running away with the ROY race because that simply isnt the case. If Cade continues to play at the level he has been it will be his award to lose, but the saving grace for some of you I suppose is that Jalen Green has bottomed out. Instead of using the IQ and experience that this place is known for ... to come together and make the best out of a bad situation this place has turned into a worse version of twitter. An ecosphere of toxic takes that usually dont even involve the game. I continue to applaud you for not arguing imaginary and subjective ideals even when I may not agree with the way you deliver the message. Be well.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I mean what do you want Green to say "I think I'm going to suck because Im not as stong as I need to be and my game needs to develop" ?? Jalen was put into a tough situation for his game to flourish. So many projects going on at once. Confidence is what he is lacking the most as of late, but the only way to get out of a slump is to continue to try and play better. This isnt going to be determined this year. Fast forward to next season at this time and if the discussions are still about his level of play then it will become more of a concern, but Im not going to pile on a teenager for trying to pump himself up and try to reach for the stars. He will learn more from failure than from success. Im pretty sure the kid is in a tough place mentally so I can only hope he's strong enough to block out the chatter and work on his craft. The story is not over for Jalen.

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, overcoming adversity is how growth happens.
    I don’t mind cockiness as long as it can be backed-up. Shooting-off hot gas is not good.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

The MAIN reason to point out Mobley's success is NOT to play I told you so or ego stroke.

It's to put pressure on the people making decisions for the Rockets and those who blindly support this leadership. Rockets FO will be making another franchise changing selection SOON this upcoming draft, and their talent evaluation is suspect.

This pressure and scrutiny is DESERVED.

And Green will be fine in time, I truly believe this. He may never become the elite 2 way player we hoped but he will at least be a legit scoring threat when he adds strength AND develops a deeper bag.

But let's not bury our heads and make excuses for the underperforming player, coaches and FO.

The only way to improve is to face these challenges head on honestly so a plan for improvement can be made AND then implemented.

Forcing Green to play through this prolonged adversity WITHOUT giving him resources or putting him in best position to be successful is irresponsible and short sighted.

Mobley's success was actually NOT a surprise to most NBA insiders. It's how quickly he has become successful that is shocking.

And I sure hope FO has not purposefully blinded themselves like some Rockets fans to fact that Mobley has actually outperformed a rookie KG and like all rooks is very likely to continue to improve.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

#2487 D-rock, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Maybe for u it's not, but im 100% sure a lot of folks on here are doing it to ego stroke each other off.

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giannis does not play with 2 other 7 foot starters.

Giannis COULD be connective tissue for 2 other 7 foot starters but that hasn't happened yet.

But it's amazing that Giannis is only name you can think of who can possibly do what Mobley's doing - a champion, DPOY and 2 time MVP no less.

Same Giannis and his fully healthy Bucks team that was just steam rolled by double digits by this Cavs team that has come out of nowhere literally overnight as contender for top spot in East.

And guess who Giannis praised and highlighted on Cavs team after this loss?

#2489 D-rock, Jan 28, 2022
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm old enough to remember when this thread was about Jalen Green

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

You're right but I'm seriously dreading what FO is going to do in upcoming draft.

I just have no faith in them at all.

We know that the analytics team favored Mobley over Green per Feigan. The analytics team also favored Sengun so Stone is not completely deaf.

But batting .250 (1 out of 4) is piss poor percentage for a successful rebuild.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

You still don't get it, and likely never will.

Stretch bigs are a DIME A DOZEN.

You can find these in every draft and in FA every offseason.

javal_lon likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I chose Giannis because I couldnt think of any other relevant 7 footers since its a guard's game, but yeah all that stuff bro. Not really sure what the relevancy is of the argument with multiple 7 footers in a lineup in todays game. The Cavs arent giving the ball to Mobley and asking him to win games like Giannis does - Yet. He's a 3rd/4th option on that team. They just want him to defend well and make the routine play which he does. When he is tasked with a leadership role I'll pay more attention. He is a very good rookie, but definitely not above and beyond his class and I cant cosign to ANY historic banter 50 games into his career. Like I said I'll be here in a few years to pat you on the back and send you a Mobley jersey or worst case celebrate Jalen Green becoming the player most thought he would. Win/Win right?

FWIW Mobley would have languished under Silas and all the flourishing he's doing on his team would not have been the same here. You know that right? Causation does not equal correlation. This team is flawed in many ways that were not going to be salvaged by a rookie. This team was expected to lose and will lose next year too regardless of who they draft. They could draft who YOU want them to draft this year and this team will still suck next season. The heartaches of a rebuild.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Very true, they could draft the correct player AND still not use them properly!

Sengun is the perfect example!

But high IQ and the more skilled the player in combination with their physical maybe even unique gifts will find a way to stand out AND contribute to winning basketball.

Again, see Sengun.

Sengun's advanced stats for efficiency are still off the charts good even with his recent lapse of good play.

Cream ALWAYS rises to the top.

Even Silas couldn't F up that truism.

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

But you can't play 3 non shooting bigs.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only a complete MORON would even think of doing this.

Keep them coming, your thought process is hilarious.

17. dmoneybangbang

I agree, only a complete moron would think the Cavs 3 big lineup is only due to Mobley. You need shooting to go with Mobley's versatility.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I believe in regression to the mean as well and the beautiful part of this game for a young player is that their respective careers are hardly ever defined by the first 82 games. As far as managerial incompetence -- not sure what to tell you. The powers in place will be here for the foreseeable future. I think Silas is a putz, but since the team isnt expected to win he fits the Bo Porter role and works for cheap. This is far from an ideal rebuild situation, but your own roster construct preference to the side it was always going to take multiple years. Multiple picks. Some luck AND THEN the right top tier FA signing to elevate this team back to contention. If you're prepared to say they wasted last years pick thats fine. What if they waste this years pick in your eyes too? Sounds like you would be GM of the year every single year if you were in that role so maybe you should answer your calling! From this idiots perspective its going to take alot more than "Give Sengun more PT".

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giving Sengun and efficient players like him more playing time is simple but incomplete solution.

FO needs to acquire complementary players for their franchise players and most importantly have a vision for culture and philosophy combined with a system that maximizes this vision to the acquired players.

This vision needs to be greater than a single coach but allow coaches and players the flexibility to add to rather alter this vision.

For example, give players like Sengun more minutes but maximize his time and efforts towards his and his teammates strengths.

Sengun and Wood in PNR with Sengun as ball handler or short roller hitting cutters or spot corner 3ball shooters would be devastating.

And if opposing team takes an option away, then coaches need to have a counter.

Same for Green, put him in best position to succeed and develop plays to hone his strengths and hide his weaknesses while he works on mitigating weaknesses and maximize strengths.

#2499 D-rock, Jan 28, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

It really is since they brought in James Ennis the ****ing Third to replace Trevor Ariza and ditched Capela and CP in favour for Westbrook

D-rock likes this.