1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Impeachment of President Joe Biden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I wonder what Furley thinks...

James Carville Taunts GOP Over Biden Inquiry

The longtime Democratic strategist predicted how Republican impeachment proceedings against the president will spectacularly backfire.

Longtime Democratic political consultant James Carville on Wednesday explained why he was actually “happy” when House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) this week announced the opening of an impeachment inquiry against President Joe Biden.

Carville, talking to CNN’s Kaitlin Collins, predicted the Democrats on the committee investigating Biden will eat alive the Republicans leading the charge. He mocked two of those Republicans, Reps. James Comer (Ky.) and Jim Jordan (Ohio), as “borderline stupid.”

“I can’t tell you how much I want them to do this. This is a very stupid idea,” Carville said of the impeachment inquiry. “I want them to hold hearings. I want to let the American public see how thin, how nonexistent their case is that the president did anything wrong.”

Carville said he wanted lawyers to “make fools” of the Republicans and argued the hearings would expose how “vapid and useless this entire endeavor is.”

Collins said: “I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you’re saying impeachment could be a good thing. Is that right?”

“That is correct. You’re not putting words in my mouth,” Carville replied, later adding: “I was happy when McCarthy got out there and said that. I thought, ‘Wow, how could we get so lucky?’”

McCarthy announced the opening of an impeachment inquiry against Biden on Monday. Republicans accuse Biden of corruption in Ukraine, but a lack of evidence has prompted critics to slam the proceedings as a political witch hunt.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In a dysfunctional system, sometimes the answer is to force them all into the same place and put their heads together.

VooDooPope likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

The Biden Impeachment Is Benghazi All Over Again
    Both inquiries are based far more on vibes and political machinations,
    suppositions built upon suppositons.

In both Benghazi and the Biden impeachment, it isn’t entirely clear what precisely the misconduct is.

Republicans seem absolutely certain that Biden is wildly corrupt, and they would prove it if only

ROCKSS and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Grunching this thread because politics sucks. The Biden inquiry is different from the Trump inquiry in the sense that it's an information inquiry assigned by McCarthy. Pelosi did the same thing in early Ukraine Trump impeachment inquiry, but it had to be followed up by the full House voting because the Trump DOJ released a pretty good memo stating that only Congress has investigative powers, not the Speaker. So going by Trump DOJ's standard, which makes constitutional sense, this inquiry has no weight until the whole House votes on it.

Edit: I realized this was posted on the prior page. My bad for grunching.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I agree, this is a farce.

DD

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/09/16/cnns-makes-the-case-for-an-impeachment-inquiry/

September 16 2023 8:18 AM
    CNN Makes the Case for an Impeachment Inquiry
    by jonathanturley

I recently wrote a column about five facts that justified the start of an impeachment inquiry. While I have stressed that I do not believe that there is currently sufficient evidence for an actual impeachment, I am mystified by the claim that there is not ample evidence to warrant an inquiry into possible impeachable offenses. Notably, CNN just reactivated its fact-checking team for a review of the basis for the inquiry. In so doing, the network made an iron-clad argument in support of the decision by Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

CNN presented this claim:

Claim: Biden family and associates got $20 million through shell companies

“Bank records show that nearly $20 million in payments were directed to the Biden family members and associates through various shell companies,” McCarthy said.

Facts First: This is true about Joe Biden’s family and associates, but there is no public evidence to date that the president personally received any money.

That is a fair fact check but it is also the very reason that Speaker McCarthy initiated the inquiry. We do not know where this money went, why it was sent through this labyrinth of accounts, or what it was intended to buy. That is why this is an impeachment inquiry.

The media and a number of Democrats recently admitted, belatedly, that Hunter Biden was involved in a corrupt influence peddling operation. This was made clear by Hunter associate Devon Archer who said that they were selling the “Biden brand” and that brand was Joe Biden. Clearly, these corrupt foreign figures in China, Ukraine, and Russia (including some who were charged with corruption in their own countries) thought that they were getting something other than Hunter for their money. After all, one of these figures reportedly referred to Hunter as dumber than his dog. However, pundits and politicians now insist that it was merely the “illusion” of access. In other words, these notoriously corrupt figures were chumps fleeced by Hunter and Biden associates.

However, how do we know it was an “illusion”? You have a trusted FBI informant relaying the claim of a Ukrainian that he gave Biden a “bribe,” but was told not to pay him directly. As I previously discussed, only a moron would pay Joe Biden directly for such influence or access.

CNN repeatedly returns to this fact in each of the checked claims. Again, that is precisely why we have an inquiry. Bribery is a stated basis for impeachment in the Constitution. Even CNN accepts that, if Biden received such benefits, it would be a serious offense.

It is also worth noting, as I have raised previously, that the requirement of an envelope filled with money or a deposit slip into the checking account of Joe and Jill Biden is a bit ridiculous as a condition. If millions went to Biden children and grandchildren, it is still a benefit for the President.

Joe Biden is currently worth more than $8 million. At his age, he will never spend the wealth that he has. Most people in his position are focused on ways to leave financial legacies for their family and minimize estate and death taxes. It is absurd to suggest that millions going to Joe Biden’s family would not constitute a benefit to him.

Finally, the inquiry is looking into whether some of these funds did make their way into Joe Biden’s accounts. There are indications that both Hunter and Joe received money out of some of these accounts and used shared credit cards. For example, there are indications that Hunter used his Dad’s credit card to pay for prostitutes.

That again is precisely the point of the impeachment inquiry. The House will now have to demand the personal bank and financial records of both Hunter Biden and Joe Biden. Thus far, the House Committees have been focused on following the money through bank transfers.

That is why the CNN fact check is a full-throated call for an impeachment inquiry. The nexus between this massive amount of money and President Biden is precisely what the House will now try to establish.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

don't have evidence...

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Democrats voice outrage over House impeachment inquiry into Biden

https://www.nydailynews.com/2023/09/17/gop-kevin-mccarthy-hunter-biden-hakeem-jeffries/

excerpt:

Democrats in Congress voiced outrage Sunday over House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s recent launch of an impeachment inquiry into President Biden.

The move was a “disservice” to the country, fumed former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, while House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries likened the GOP’s internal strife to a “civil war.”

“Impeachment is deadly serious. This is a remedy that our founders put in the Constitution for a rogue official. They could foresee we would have a rogue president of the United States,” Pelosi, who was House speaker during both of former President Donald Trump’s impeachments, told MSNBC’s “The Sunday Show.”
    more

9. NewRoxFan

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

They've had these facts for years and could not make a case so now there doing an impeachment.............tit for tat I guess

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

LOL...

Rashmon likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The sad thing about this whole Victor Shokin thing is when the initial claims were made like 3 years ago immediately it was shown that at the time of the firing, it was universal bipartisan support to oust Shokin. The IMf, EU etc all were trying to get him out. Republican senators at the time literally wrote letters to Ukrainian officials to fire Shokin.

Which shows how little faith republican politicians have in their voting base's intelligence. These claims and allegations are so easily debunkable you have to wonder how low of an opinion Republican politicians have for GOP base voters.

Amiga likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Impeach hunter and commander...

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

They've got the b*stard now