1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets have declined forward Jae'Sean Tate's $1.8 million team option for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Jun 29, 2022.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great freaking post. This is why we log onto Clutchfans.

It seems to me that OKC doing the same thing to Dort is very much in our favor. Perhaps we can land another bargain Tate contract.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I'd almost offer our full MLE to Dort.

beardsanity713 and PeterKingX like this.
  3. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I don't mean to exclude this possibility, but the more likely answer is that the right to match is much more valuable this year than it is next year because there is so much less cap space available across the league this year. It's a self-interested move. If Tate gets offered a contract they won't match this year, they wouldn't have matched it next year. So the downside is losing Tate for a year at 1.8. That's pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

jcmoon and RudyTBag like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m with clutch, the Tate extension better not exceed $8 mil per.

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This

jcmoon, RasaqBoi and BigShasta like this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Imagine if Silas plays Tate 32+ mins per game as starter next season while Tari Eason only has 12 mins backup playing time....Smh

We really don’t need Tate, seriously.

Jontro likes this.
  7. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

To me, if that happens it's more of a Silas problem than a Tate problem. Tate's definitely pedestrian by league standards, but could be useful on the right team. I think he'd be a good mentor/locker room guy to Tate/Jabari but he shouldn't be starting or playing more than 15-20 minutes.

htownrox1 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. marinara

marinara Member

We need him depending on what the salary is.

Apart from EG, Nwaba what other experience do have? Excluding the players from the Wood trade.

I don’t know exactly how front loaded contracts work but considering not many FAs I’d throw a lot of money at I’d slightly over pay for this upcoming season and slightly decreasing for next 3-4 years. 10-8-6-4 with the last year being a team option.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Thats also a valuable trade piece because of how the contract would work in a trade versus in the next seasom per cap. Valuable if a team is trying to clear room

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is my fear as well. I don’t know about 32 for Tate, but I think the 12 mins for Eason is going to happen at least through mid-season. Eason may actually start in RGV if the Rockets retain Tate and KJM.

PeterKingX and seclusion like this.
  11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'd guess that OKC would match that offer and retain him.

Nook likes this.
  12. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Other than the perception that Dort is some defensive dynamo based largely on the lore from one series guarding Harden, isn’t Dort just an even shorter version of Tate, who does some things better and some things worse?

Anyone who thinks that Dort’s grit, tough D, small size, and below average 3pt shooting is desirable should be thrilled with Tate, who gives you that with slightly worse shooting and much better ball handling.

TheJuice, snowconeman22 and glenadyll like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it will be around 4 years, $35m. That's fine, perfectly tradable and I doubt he'll ever be negative value. He's going to look a lot better next season even if he doesn't improve (just because the roster around him will be way better). I'm confident a contender will want him for depth at 2/3/4 spots.

I also think it's not a bad idea to have him around for Eason's first couple of months.

dmoneybangbang and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

jason tate is key to this team's play-in secomd round hopes

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I used to think this too, however there were multiple times last season Tate got too big for his britches and treated people like Harden did.

I hated it when Harden acted like he did towards teammates on occasions, I certainly hate it even worse when it's a role player like Tate doing it.

I no longer think he's the glue guy anymore - he's not the Ariza or Tucker I hoped he'd be unfortunately. Disappointed if this means he stays long term.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Saw that. Virtually everybody on the list’ projected worth is more than they are going to get. If Tate gets more than 8M annually it’s an overpay. We need to keep him tradeable, ala, Theis.

18. conquistador#11

A lot of people here suffer from something I suffer with...2012 was just yesterday! How have 10 years passed? Did we jump a wormhole?
    The contracts being suggested of 8 milly a year are for role players in that era. 12 milly is the new 8 million.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Would love to see a team offer Tate a contract that averages $13 million a year. Hell, even the full NTMLE would be funny.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

In some cases 47 million does not even get you rotation minutes nowadays.