1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

THE HEART OF A CHAMPION

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zzhiggins, Oct 11, 2002.

1. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Rudy T coined this phrase during the '94-'95 championship run. The team had a mediocre record, 47-35, going in to the playoffs. I remembered this because of the controversy about resigining Kenny Thomas.
    Kenny Thomas is a player who has done everything that the team has asked of him. This year he moved to the three to make room for Mo T. & Eddie G.......no problem. In his first start at the three he puts up a double-double, six off. rebounds, four def., three assists, etc...
    But, what I hear is black hole, missed shots, etc.
    Those six off. rebounds would have been a career high for Glenn Rice. The three assists exceeded Rice's best game as a Rocket.
    BUT I SEE NO LOVE!!
    Kenny Thomas may have mediocre skills, but he has the heart of a champion. Lets not replace him with someone who doen't.
    NEVER.....EVER......UNDERESTIMATE THE HEART OF A CHAMPION.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

letter!!!

4. AT

AT Member

I agree completely. I think the bottom line here is that any trade we make involving Kenny almost certainly involves us getting something back with less value.

I guess the argument is that doing a losing trade like this is better than the chemistry issues we may have keeping him around. Really though, as stated, the guy has been a trooper to date and the most likely scenario is that he clearly beats someone else out of a position (or playing time) and that person ends up being the cancer (MoT, Rice).

I just haven't heard a strong argument based on facts as to why we need to trade him.

5. Sane

Sane Member

Mediocre skills and he's short. Sometimes, teh heart of a champion just isn't enough. If he were 7'0, dominated his position, scored 20 pts and grabbed 10 rebounds a night, while blocking 3 shots a game and being top 10 in all time steals, then we'll let him slide with the "Heart of a Champion" thing. In fact, if he does any ONE of those, we'll let it slide.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't know, i think he has legit skills w/ just the short part holding him down. if he had another 2-3 inches we're talking about a potential all-star. he definitely has the heart.

7. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

You could have saidthe same about Mario Ellie in 94, but the Rockets probably woldnt have made it without him. You are already uderestimating heart for the game.

8. Nero

Nero Member

As much as I like KT (and I do), I am in the corner of 'Make a deal'
    involving KT.

The one thing we should not forget is that he will be a free agent
    next season. He will expect (and rightly so) to be rewarded
    financially relative to his accomplishments so far in his career,
    as well as where his career could reasonably be expected to go.

I do not believe the Rockets will be able to compete with most of
    the offers that will come his way as a free agent. Most likely he
    will end up on an Eastern team, as a starting 4 with the ability
    to slide to the 3 from time to time, and in a pinch could spot time
    at the 5.

This is a guy who will be in serious demand as a FA, and I don't
    believe the Rox either should, or would, keep him around as
    essentially a role-player. He is better than that. He has earned
    more respect than that. He has paid his dues. But the Rockets
    team is simply not ultimately going to be the best fit for him. He
    needs to be on an Eastern Conference team.

Therefore, a couple points to keep in mind:

1) He is valuable. Not 'top-drawer' valuable, but valuable nevertheless.

2) It is almost a lock that, in one way or another, he is not on this
    team next year.

3) The Rockets' management has a choice to make. They can
    either trade him while we still own his rights (via sign-n-trade or
    whatever), or they can choose to simply keep him around to play
    out his contract and then let him walk.

The choice the Rockets make on that decision will determine
    whether this team gets something of value for KT, or zilch. Clearly,
    getting absolutely nothing out of a relatively valuable commodity
    such as KT would just not make any sense.

So as much as I would like to be able to see KT as a Rocket year-
    in and year-out, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Unless both MoT and EG go down with career-threatening injuries
    this year, allowing us to keep KT long term, expect KT to be
    wearing a different uni next year. The only question is what, if
    anything, we have to show for it.

Ciao

9. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Thanks God, CD is the man making these decision. No wonder we are going in the right direction. Leave KT alone! :mad: :p

10. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

If we could get a 1st rounder for him, I think that it is everyones best interest to trade KT before the deadline. The guy would fit perfectly as an eastern conference 4. How about KT to Wash, Det, NO, or Philly? He could get quality minutes on a playoff team that way and we get a pick since we dont have one this year.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

KT does have heart. I remember when he was drafted that that was one of the big knocks on him, that he didnt show the right attitude.

I hope we can find playing time for KT, Rice and Nachbar. Rudy will have a tough task.

12. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

While I love his rough and tough attitude, I just think he is a better fit in the Eastern conference.

If he would concentrate more on rebounds and playing within the offense, he would be a bigger asset. We have the new offense that keeps the ball moving which was displayed during the 1st half on the Grizz game but everytime that the ball came to KT he immediately went to his dribble and drive attack. Now to his credit , KT did have a couple of nice passes to open teamates during that time. If we are going to have a "keep the ball moving" offense, then all players must buy into it ( I realize there will be those that would say that Francis and Mobley need to do this as well but they did and we built a big lead).

KT's board work was strong as always and I really would not like to lose that but he seems to always be going one-on-one when he receives the ball.

If KT was just a bit taller, he would be an allstar.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KT is great. I love him, and I will never complain about him being in a Rockets uniform.

The only argument about trading him, that makes sense to me, is that he might get more playing time on another team, and it might be better for him. If that's the case, I would be sad to lose him, but ok with trading him.

The stuff about him being a black hole, and missing shots, isn't really that swaying of an argument to me regarding KT.

14. codell

I agree with you completely. I dont think KT will realize his full potential with us. Im not in favor of trading him, but Id love to see what he can do on a team where he was more of a focal point of the offense.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i love kt and i'm not in favor of trading him but i pray for the team that has to use him as more of a focal point on offense than than the rocks have.

16. codell

Well, im not saying necessarily as THE go to guy on a team. But he would make a decent 3rd or 4th option. Just like he did for us last year.

17. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Why is everybody calling KT too short!!! Wes Unseld would have called him a beanpole,....

18. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Chuck was 6'6

period.

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

He is well skilled guy for 6'7. He does have the drive to be a champion!!

KT to start at 3!Not Glen, Morris nor Nachbar, But Kenny Thomas!Ya, you got the statement right!

20. Sane

Sane Member

Chuck was Charles freakin' Barkley. You guys are comparing him to Dream and Chuck????

Listen, he's good. He's real good, and on top of that, he works his ass off, and gets better every year. But we have similar players, and no time for him at the 2 or 3. If T-Mo continues to work hard for ONE more season, he'll be just as valuable, if not more valuable (physical advantage).

KT would look very good on the Bucks. Anything we want from them? Maybe a First rounder?