1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Harden doesn't have any help crowd is looking bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 2, 2021.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

RS was never an issue

Air Canada and MettaWorldPete like this.
  2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think it can be fixed. Sorry!

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, you never know.

That Pistons team was never supposed to be elite...except they were. I'm going to tag my man @hakeem94 because he knows whats up.

How?

Well Billups was a high draft pick that never reached his potential and given up on...like Wall.

Hamilton was a player that was casually traded away...like Dipo

Tayshaun Prince was a hard working rookie that soon found himself starting and playing all-team defense...like Tate.

Ben Wallace was an undrafted player that Detroit thought they could build a team around...like Wood.

Those four guys played like a complete team, relying on defense and chemistry to beat teams they weren't supposed to beat.

The only thing we're missing is trading for a player like Sheed who was uber talented but never put it together because of his attitude...oh wait...there's Kevin Porter Jr!

Any ways, saying the team with Harden is a low playoff seed is insulting your boy Harden.

It's like some of yall want the team to be this failure so that we'll all miss and cry about not having Harden anymore but the reality is...as of this moment, the Rockets future is bright.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

In the 03/04 preseason the Pistons were 7th overall favorites at +1500 to win the title.

Houston went into this preseason at +5000 to win it all, then traded Harden and are now currently at +15000

There is a difference. A big one. And to act like a +1500 preseason favorite came out of nowhere is a bit of stretch.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2004_preseason_odds.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2021_preseason_odds.html

Reeko and HP3 like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why are you bringing up the 2003-04 Pistons?

I'm talking about this Pistons team...
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/2002.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2002_preseason_odds.html

They came out of nowhere.

EDIT: And you're missing the general point, that they came out of nowhere and were built on players no one expected to be part of a championship team. Too many people are projecting this team to be bad and lowering their ceiling...and most of them are Harden's biggest fans coincidentally enough. Stats and results should give no one reason on lowering this team's ceiling, we should at least be open to whatever until we see how they play against top 4 conference teams. Let's see how we play against the Nets, Clippers, Lakers, Utah, Boston, Bucks, etc before we start saying "This team is 8th seed at best!"

#85 JayGoogle, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  6. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Rebuilding needs picks. He's not doing a great job of preparing us for picks.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I brought up the 04 Pistons team because in your comparison you brought up Rasheed Wallace. Who they traded for in the 04 season. So it was already a pre season +1500 team who then added a great established talent during the season.

We are not that. We are currently +15000.

jiggyfly, HP3 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  8. plates300

plates300 Member

There’s a big difference between winning and contending. Maybe he could have gotten a lot of wins with this team but contending? Hate how Harden left but kicking out to Kyrie, Durant, or even Joe Harris is better than anything he’s had here in Houston.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont think anyone literally meant he had no help. I think they understood that this team, at best, was going to be a middle-ranked playoff team that was going to struggle to get to the second round and didn't have the talent to take out the Clippers or Lakers. Even with our recent win streak, I don't think that's changed. And if he stayed, we would have been more or less stuck in that position with no future given the mortgaging of numerous first rounders for Russ.

Whether the Nets go all the way or not is yet to be seen, but there's no denying that Harden has a better chance of making the finals than he has his entire career. Even the CP3 game 5 injury year was one where our team was going up against a GSW squad that was perhaps the best team ever assembled, with multiple MVP players and all stars on the roster against our team with CP3 and Harden and some good role players. The Nets are, talent wise at least, far and away the best team in the east, and there aren't any teams that can compete with them across seven games. Not only that, but they're probably going to get better, both before the trade deadline and in the buyout market as vets usually ring chase after getting bought out.

HP3 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, you're just missing the point. That team came out of nowhere. By 03/04 they were already established thanks to Billups and Hamilton and Ben Wallace, again, all guys given up on.

What we are or what we aren't isn't known, but since trading Harden they have the 3rd best net rating over 9 games. 8th best overall. For people to come here and call others delusional when they are just reacting to the results is a bit out there.

The point is a group of guys can get together, play defense together, play for each other, and surprise a lot of people. We literally saw this last season with the Heat.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would say some people are reacting to results without context and being as optimistic as possible. Others are looking at everything and coming to a different conclusion.

As of today we have played the 5th easiest schedule in the league and have beaten a bunch of team missing chunks of their rotation. Those are real results that others are choosing to include into their outlook of the team.

Being an 8th seed post Harden trade IS surprising a lot of people.

Reeko, HP3 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Thanks for fixing ;) Some people just don't get the humor I guess

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While bringing up SOS is fair, it's also fair to say they've beaten who were ahead of them. I mean, we're not far removed from losing to the Bulls and people trashing this team.

It's not the Rockets fault that the Pelicans, Blazers, Mavericks have been disappointing and they (handing those teams a loss) are part of the reason they were.

I think some are looking at the team and going "It doesn't have a top 5 player so there is no chance to compete" while others are just along for the ride and reacting to what they're seeing.

Either way is fine. I'm saying it's not delusional at this point in time to believe that this team could shock some people. While some will say 'The talent is not there' I'd say the talent is. Wall, Dipo, Gordon, that's a lot of talent...and Wood has been something else.

If they can consistently be a top 5 defensive team that gives them a chance in every game. Since the trade, they've been the best defensive team in the league. Personally, I'm waiting to see how they do against elite teams.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What are you talking about, we just got a **** ton of picks

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was ONLY the case due to Harden actively sabotaging the team. If he was a better person who had some kind of loyalty to his teammates, the city, the franchise, or his fans, the Rockets are likely a championship favorite this season.

The Rockets didn't get a whole lot more talented after dumping Harden, they just cut out the cancer and started playing closer to their actual potential.

With a fully engaged Harden who wanted the team to win, the Rockets would be absolutely amazing this season, possibly better than they were in CP3's first season. Harden refused to allow that to happen so that he could go be carried by KD and Kyrie.

ThaButcher likes this.
  16. csc177

csc177 Member

Meanwhile Harden is leading the league in assists with two former champions that know how to score the ball. I mentioned in another post - the vibe just wasnt right when he made it clear he wanted out. That dark cloud plays a big part on team chemistry which is crucial for championship squads/contenders.

Everyones watching...I sure hope the nets win the chip because if not...well we know what happens when Harden fails to win the big one.

17. s3ts

s3ts Member

You judge this guy entirely for literally 2 months of him whining to get traded.

He played for the Rockets for... how many seasons? And all that loyalty just goes into the bin?

Everyone should expect a level of selfishness from superstar players. It comes with being a top-5 player in the league. So when he is sort of a cancer in the locker room, it sucks but you shrug because that's just how it is. We see it with literally almost any elite player. If you don't expect it from Harden, that's purely on you.

HP3 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Were protected picks always a thing?

All those swaps and protection, really confusing.

Maybe I never followed drafts from the 80s and 90s.

HP3 likes this.
  19. Rokman

Rokman Member

The team is depending on everybody, and that is how a team is supposed to be.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....yes.

I also often judge murderers and rapists for a few minutes or hours in their lives where they did things that would stain them forever. That's just how it goes. It takes a LOT of work to get beyond truly disgracing yourself and none of that work has been done.

The second he proved that he had no loyalty to the franchise, to the city, to his teammates, or to the fans any normal person had the sense to turn their back on him as he did to them.

Making excuses for him is pathetic.