1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Grizzlies, Hawks, and Bobcats are good teams this year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sbyang, Jan 25, 2010.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

The lesson I learned in watching these 3 turn into good teams: any moron can be a successful GM of an NBA team.

Memphis: the butt of so many jokes, Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown, Thabeet with #2.

Atlanta: The ownership mess, passing on Chris Paul + Deron Williams, the promise to Sheldon Williams, the Josh Childress situation.

Bobcats: Adam Morrison, acting like the draft is still regional at times.

All 3 teams have made huge mistakes in the draft, none have made any home run signings or draft picks. But somehow their teams are decent. I think anybody can have good results in the NBA if they have the job long enough.

2. RocketMania1991

I've been preaching about the Grizzlies for the past month or so.
    This board seems to want to ignore them.

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

The Clippers would like to have a word with you.

4. Foif

Foif Member

Yeah, just look at the Knicks.

5. MONON

MONON Member

The Hawks kept passing on obvious pgs to shore up on bigs & then traded for an established pg. It took them a couple of seasons to jell, but they're the real deal now. It's too early to proclaim the Grizz or Bobcats good teams yet. If they can sustain their progress for a couple of years, then yes.

6. what

what Member

I think what it is is there is unprecedented levels of talent-filled drafts lately.

Back in the late 80s to mid 90s there was a huge dry spell. Derrick Chievous, John Turner of the worlds.

Now just about every draft has huge talent.

Gay
    Mayo
    Conley

were draft picks. Gasol and Randolph came as a result of the pau gasol trade.

This was pretty efficient work if you ask me.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Still hurts that franchise that they drafted Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams though.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its hard to explain the Bobcats success. Larry Brown knows how to coach.

As for the other two, it just goes to show that if you're really bad for long enough, you'll eventually work your way up through the draft.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not sold on any of these 3 teams. I doubt the Hawks make it past the 2nd round and wouldn't be surprised if they end up one-and-done. Despite their athleticism and good record so far, there is something incomplete about that team. I doubt the Bobcats are anything more than 1st round roadkill. Sorry, but it's hard for me to take a team with a 3-17 road record seriously. I'm not convinced the Grizzlies won't fade out of the playoff picture in the West. They do have a seasoned veteran in their rotation in Z-Bo, but I have doubts that's enough for them in the long haul.

Someone should make a poll about which Western Conference teams are likely to fade out of the playoff picture. My top choices are the Thunder, Grizzlies and Suns (assuming they trade Amare). I would add the Hornets if they trade David West. The Rockets are next in line.

10. what

what Member

It looks like the rockets are fading. Just saying.

11. Asian Sensation

I think the Grizzlies are going to make the playoffs and take the 7th seed. 8th seed is going to be between the Rockets, Suns, OKC and New Orleans. Each of which have 25% chance of making it.

I'm sold on the Mayo/Gay/Zbo trio. Add in Marc Gasol and Conley who's doing a decent job and that's a playoff team. People keep doubting the Griz and think they'll fade but that's a solid team. I'm kinda scared of them. Not gonna lie.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Utah is not a lock to make it neither.

13. Asian Sensation

They'll start to fade later on in the season per usual but hang on for the 6th seed. As long as they don't trade Boozer or granted they get equal talent back if they do trade him. A Sloan coached team with a healthy Deron Williams running the point will not miss the playoffs.

14. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

They are every bit of a lock as the Blazers.

15. what

what Member

We've beaten: Magic, Spurs, Suns, Mavs, Cavs, Nuggets, Trailblazers, Miami, utah, OKC. I mean who's left really? Boston got us, but it was close, if you saw the game Rudy stole the ball and it happened to bounce to Ray Allen and he it an off-balance Amazing 3. Nearly beat the Bobcats and the Hornets at their home arenas. The Hawks killed us. But other than that and our 108 start we are beating everybody. Our next step will be to learn how to win against a good team on the road. This week will be a huge test for us.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That would be my answer. To be fair to the Hawks, the Joe Johnson signing and Bibby trade are non-draft deals that's helped them out. Though they've still needed the Josh Smith, Horford and Marvin Williams lotto picks to pull through. Grizzlies backed into a winning record.

17. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Hawks have been decent last couple of years, nothing new there except some young guys developing like they should. Hawks will not lose a series on their home floor in the East in my opinion.. so their record is very important.

Bobcats just have a solid defensive team and a good coach. Jackson the big addition that made them good enough to make it in the very weak East, I still doubt they would be close to .500 in the West but could be an annoying team for the top East teams come playoffs.

Grizzlies I think people just doubt if they will sustain their good form because of how pathetic the organization has been and the bad rep a few of their players have, add to that there is so many teams battling it out in the West anything could still happen. Talent wise the Grizzlies own basically every team around them but their team work, hustle and defense will continued to be questioned until they put in a whole season of solid play. At the moment I feel a few bad games and they could implode due to the egos on that team.

18. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

If the Grizzlies make the playoffs and actually win a game this time (I believe they're 0-12 all time), then I will start taking them seriously :grin:

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Hawks are a GREAT team this year. They can beat The Celts or the Lakers on any given night.

as series? I'm not so sure.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Talk to me when they get to the finals, or at least the conference semi's. That is how you define success.

Right now the only team of those 3 that has a chance of doing that is the Hawks. The other two are having good years, but teams will overachieve and have good seasons here and there- Clippers '05/'06, Grizzlies '05/'06 for example.