1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great Resignation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Oct 15, 2021.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I also quit and ran away. But the state of New York didn’t want to pay me millions so I stayed in San Leon.

T_Man, Xerobull and ThatBoyNick like this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL ethical employee fighting for all ethical poor employers and CEOs out there

howbout this. because what employees do outside of their 40hrs a week is not of the employers business

employer who are not happy with an employees performance they simply fire them

#102 vlaurelio, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Because it would give the company leverage they can use against me. It's not that I'm a malcontent who is just trying to maximize my personal benefit from my relationship with my employer. But, this is a transactional relationship. They let me know that with the annual reorganizations and layoffs they do. It's fine; it's nothing personal. They employ me as long as it's good for them, and I work as long as it's good for me. And in a transactional relationship, you have to guard yourself. Am I going to give the HR department some rationale they can later put in my termination letter to justify denying my severance or something? No thanks. Neither will they tell me the new guy they hired is getting paid more than me. I don't owe them -- and they don't owe me -- anything beyond the stated employment agreement.

DaDakota, adoo, superfob and 4 others like this.
  4. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Good luck man. You'll find something.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers work
    non 99ers are lazy bums who sit at home all day watching cable news then complain that 99ers are flying into space
    @Ziggy

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Exactly this. Also people are realizing it isn't in their best interests to be "loyal" to a company and stay for 20+ years. Companies will lay you off in a heart beat regardless of tenure. We went from being remote for 1+ years where my quality of life was so much better and I was able to have a 2nd source of income while keeping my productivity then we magically had to be in office no questions. Left that place within a month and moved to a much higher paying job. The only time I have ever gotten significant raises was moving to new companies.

Phillyrocket, B-Bob and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which is one of the weirdest things about modern business
    1. You have to leave to get a significant raise
    2. Someone hired AFTER YOU that you have to TRAIN . . . makes more than you for the same job

How does either of these inspire "loyalty" to your employer?

Rocket River

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

A lot of these companies just choose to continue on like dinosaurs. I saw so many postings that specifically said they are not doing remote work and they are in office with some bs reason. Working from home wasn't a make or break for me but to not even have it as a possibility is absurd.

DaDakota, Xerobull and Rocket River like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It seems a major concern of most businesses has shifted to watching/controling/hurting their employees

Why lie about productivity being down in work from home situations?
    yet they do . . . . In fact it is that they EXPECT MORE when you work from home.

It seems the ability to put eyes on a person at any time of the day . . ..
    To make sure they are not overly comfortable
    Maintenance of the power dynamic

is more important than productivity

As above with the two jobs thing

If I was the #1 guy in productivity at the job . . . why should it matter if I have a second job?
    If I am producing at the level you require . . .. why does anything else matter
    Ends and means type of thing

but for alot of employers. . . . THE POWER to control and the AUTHORITY
    is more important than the outcomes .. .

Rocket River

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Most people (more than half) are pretending to work when at the office. It's just the way things are.

The main benefit to going to the office is that it's easier to wrangle people from different groups to get something out. You can still do that remotely, but it takes more effort and a culture/personality to get it done.

I had a prospective employer who wanted me to commute an hr to their office 2 days out of the week. I might've taken it if the pay was much larger, but if I'm being real to myself, I would've hated it half a year later.

Instead I found a company that operated in NY and paid NY wages. It's a great time to look outside your circle with remote being crucial during a labor crunch.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Employees in the office. .. . . justifies middle managers' jobs

Rocket River

DonnyMost, B-Bob, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Red flag that they’re obstinate assholes about many other things.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How much money would you want to have before you retire and at what age?

If I have a million more in the bank, I would seriously think about retire tomorrow, two million more, there is no thinking involved.

14. Xerobull

Nothing fancy. I'm a dos comas guy.

9 figures, after tax.

15. pirc1

It is nice to be the top 1%. :)

16. Xerobull

In the world, you may be.

17. pirc1

I don’t even make the 10%.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly senior managers cover up their lack of effort by hiring middle managers to protect them.

DD

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The most important factor ive learned is the quality of your daily co-workers and your manager (how he/she treats you and how they handle the people above)

Very rarely does leadership reach out from a personal angle, so it should be noted and appreciated.

Though i mostly treat that and credit like a piece of fruit. If you don't use it, you lose it by the time it spoils (when the last issue/victory is forgotten).

Worse off is when someone eats it without you realizing what it's worth.

If i was a climber or wanted to grease more, there's obviously more unsavory things to do, but those are the basics of defensive driving around the office.

arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I honestly think a lot of narcissists (many bosses who think of themselves as "extroverts") like having a captive, powerless audience in the office.