1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great Resignation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Oct 15, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was salaried and there were plenty of times (regardless of the hours of the day) I had to give 100% of my time to a particular crisis. Now...what happens if the second job needs the same responsiveness at the same time? I suspect that anyone in the workforce where they are able to work from home, would run into that situation.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Unfortunately the nuance is lost. The Covid experiment was not well defined. Most good employers were already letting employees who were not needed in real time work from home. We sent our non essentials home during Covid. They stated they performed better and more efficient at home w/out the interruption. That was true, however it was clear they were not available on spot during normal operations which resulted in significant inefficiencies for those working real time in operations.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

On the topic of ethics, I concede what I am doing is absolutely not ethical.

Nor was it ethical for me to be screamed at in my younger days by bad bosses, or over worked and underpaid in the mid part of my career. I didn't think it was ethical when I gave a company everything I had for 5 years and then was laid off so they could move their headquarters to Canada to save money.

My dad worked at Texas Instruments for 40 years, VP, pension, the works. That's what I thought my life would be, but that isn't reality anymore. Acquisitions, mergers, spin offs, pandemics, aggressive cost control. In my industry, you basically don't get promoted anymore unless you switch companies. After 12 years of being a professional, I have officially entered IDGAF mode.

Ethics aside, companies are going to do what is best for them, and I am going to do what is best for me. Side note, today is the first day of new job and I have spent four hours waiting for IT to figure out a VPN issue. Luckily I have my contracting gig, so my time is not wasted.

While it may not be ethical, I don't think it is wrong. I don't think there is a victim here. I think everyone will be happy with the deliverables they are receiving and I am living my most efficient / productive life.

Edit - and about the 8-5 thing. I don't know what that is. I was waking up at 7 and getting home at 7...That is 12 hours a day. I wasn't getting paid for those extra 4 hours a day. Now I am ACTUALLY starting work at 8 and quitting at 5. I have reclaimed those extra hours.

#63 larsv8, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s does DP like the stallion he is.

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If you find yourself in a situation like that then you planned poorly and I refer you back to my original point that if your situation does not allow you to take on more responsibilities then you probably shouldn't do so.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

were you paid as an 8 to 5 employee

or as an 8 to 5 employee with 100% availability?

7. bobrek

I was paid as a 40 hour per week employee. But, I was on call 24 hours a day. Generally folks worked typical hours so oftentimes it was beneficial to be available in case collaboration was needed.

8. bobrek

Not sure how a software security issue that would randomly arise is bad planning. We had computer systems all over the world, academics, DOD, DOE, weather bureaus, oil and gas, auto manufacturing, etc.

When Linux related security issues showed up, an assessment wound be made as to how severe it was and if it needed an immediate response. Anyone who subscribed to CVEs were aware of them almost immediately and we'd have to swing into action.

Please educate me as to how responding to that type of crisis is "bad planning". Because if you can foresee security issues and prevent them from ever occurring, you'd never need that second job. You could name your own terms of employment.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's bad planning because you thought you had autonomy over your schedule and you didn't.

10. bobrek

So neither of your jobs ever put you into a position where they need 100% of your time for a particular task?

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I got let go June 30th after giving 8 years to a start up company where I was on call 24/7, loved it and gave my all everyday, I thought I would retire there. In a 5 minute termination where our HR team would not give me a letter or anything to show why I was fired but would only go through the 'termination process" and not go into detail of the investigation only that I was fired. I started looking for a job and to my surprise they came pretty easily, I started a new job 30 days later and quickly realized it was not a fit so I kept looking, found another one and I am on week 2 and its going well.......bottom line is I am out for me now, I dont care about any of the BS I fell for in the past.....were a team, work hard for one another, we love you........blah, blah, blah. Corporate America can kiss my a$$, I am looking out for me and my loyalty resides with myself....oh sure I will play the game and smile as I go but the days of unbridled loyalty are out the window...............yea, I am a bit jaded over my experience

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Because people aren't paying enough PLUS the Govt is paying too much. Solution.. don't print tons of money.

13. vlaurelio

LOL that sounds unethical

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

This thread makes me happy that I work on commission.

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

its more often its not..

company expects you to have 40 hour work week.. and thats flex time.. you may be reqd toi attend meetings.. but you manage your time and work to the best that suits your needs to be most productive

but its rare that companies for the past years to require people to beign at at 8 finish at 5, be available, and plsu be oncall the rest of the day

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. bobrek

How so? My co-workers and I were dedicated to our jobs. We accepted the responsibility that entailed. We were actively involved in our customer's business and were there to support them. What you call unethical, I call a responsible work ethic.

17. vlaurelio

so you only get paid the same as other poeple with strictly 40 hr per week jobs

but your guys are expected to work more

18. bobrek

We all got paid differently. Generally folks that had the 'typical' 9 to 5 job and lesser responsibility and expectations got paid significantly less.

19. vlaurelio

yeah so there are jobs which doesn't require people to be available 100% of the time not even sure what that means

20. bobrek

Yes....among others, we had technical writers. We had instructors. We had secretaries. We had HR people. We had support folks who didn't have on call responsibilities. We had software testers. We had folks that built hardware.