1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great Resignation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Oct 15, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Someone has to do the menial jobs. We just need to respect those jobs more. There are people that do them in Europe also, but they feel more respected doing those jobs which makes people happier. Since we have shortage of people doing the hard jobs, we should allow for immigration.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That kind of logic is foreign to me. Essentially my company expected me to be available from 8-5 and paid me accordingly. The vast majority of the time I could work from home and some time there was a lot of dead time in that period but I never knew when that dead time would end. There is no way I could morally work for a second company that also expected me to be available 8-5 and paid me accordingly.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Your situation clearly does not allow you to take on more responsibilities, so, there's your answer.

It's not a matter of ethics, it's a matter of the laws of physics.

4. bobrek

Not a matter of ethics? Simultaneously working 2 separate 8-5 jobs where one is getting full time pay for each? If it's ethical then the worker should tell each company that they are working 8-5 for a second company while they are working 8-5 for them.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you're able to meet your obligations without violating any terms of the work contract, I fail to see the problem. All parties in the agreements are satisfied.

Nah. I don't have to divulge anything about my life to my employer. That's silly.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL can you show a clause in any employment contract with which requires the employee to divulge the details of their life outside they're job responsibilities and deliverables?

7. bobrek

If I were an employer I wouldn't be satisfied. I'm paying for 8-5, I expect 100% availability 8-5. And I strongly suspect most every employer feels the same way. And I do think an employer who is paying one to work 8-5 has every right to know if there will routinely be times when an employee isn't 100% available during that time.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. bobrek

As I've posted a few times.... an employer who pays you to be 100% available during your work hours (for example 8-5) has every right to expect that employee to be 100% available during that time, with clear exceptions for lunch, and approved time off

As I have also posted, if one is working 8-5 for one company and hours outside that for another company then there is nothing wrong with that as long as there are no competitive conflicts.

9. vlaurelio

LOL so the job is support? I mean if the job is not primarily support there will be times that they will actually be working on tasks and be busy...

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Your situation clearly does not allow you to take on more responsibilities, so, there's your answer.

11. bobrek

Doesn't matter what the job is. If you agree to work 40 hours a week from 8-5, then you should be 100% available to that company during that time period. (With the exception of approved time off).

Why is that such a foreign concept?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

lol

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I posted a thread like this in hangout.

It is unethical, but it is not illegal (the state knows since they collect your taxes)

The rationale behind this is the choice between busting your hump for a bump in title or 3-10% salary or shifting down a gear and earning 2x as much.

The entire dynamics of it all is screwy.

14. vlaurelio

he needs to be on standby and monitor his email, chat, and, phone everys second for 8 hours straight.. I guess he doesn't have any other responsibilites other than that

15. bobrek

I'm retired. But, yeah, I agreed to be accessible 40 hours a week (and essentially on call for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, due to customers all over the world) because I was paid to be accessible during work hours and if I were working for another company during 8-5, I'd be reneging on my word.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

yeah thats what you were paid for

these days people are paid for their quality and velocity of their work and deliverables

40 hours a week flex time

employers put a premium on those

if the quality of work is top notch who needs support

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The triggering by Chad Larsv valuing his life was a beautiful read.

larsv8 likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On the phenomenon of everyone quitting, especially in the service industry: I think it's great. Hopefully people are finding more respect, more pay, and more interesting and meaningful work.

On working two jobs simultaneously: Caveat first that I'm not doing that. But, my company doesn't pay for 100% availability between 8 and 5. They pay for flexible availability 24-7. If they need me on a Saturday, I work Saturday. If I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday morning, I don't work Wednesday morning. If I work better at night than during the day, I do that. As long as I produce a FT employee's production, I have my electronic leash in my pocket, and I'm reasonably responsive to attempts to communicate with me, there's no problem. Having 2 such jobs would be the same as have a day shift job and a night shift job.

For someone else who has to work in real-time, that's different. If my job is to be a commodity trader, so I have to buy and sell on the market at particular times to capture price opportunities, obviously I couldn't also be a business development guy who has to field questions from potential customers whenever they call. Some jobs are time sensitive and some are flexible.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is basically the dumb axle we've been wrapped around in this discussion.

Hourly vs. Salary.

If you have an hourly job then chances are your work is time sensitive and inflexible. You can't really get another job of that nature and still meet your obligations to both.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. bobrek

How would you handle the situation where both companies need your full attention at the same time?