1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great Resignation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not really D&D material since it's based on facts but I figured it would devolve into politics so here it be:

The American 'Great Resignation' by the numbers
    PETER WEBER
    8:23 AM
    "Scarce labor is becoming a fixture of the U.S. economy, reshaping the workforce and prodding firms to adapt by raising wages, reinventing services, and investing in automation," The Wall Street Journal reports. The exodus of workers spans the labor market but is most pronounced in the service industries, and the numbers are very large: 4.3 million Americans quit in August alone, the Labor Department said this week, the highest number since December 2000.

Analysts are calling this the Great Resignation. Here are some numbers:

• 2.9 percent — the share of the nation's workforce that quit in August
    • 4.8 percent — the U.S. unemployment rate in September, a pandemic low
    • 293,000 — jobless claims last week, a pandemic low
    • 309,000 — women 20 and older who dropped out of the workforce in September
    • 182,000 — men who were added to the workforce in September
    • 108,700 — drop in the number of child care workers in September versus February 2020
    • 10.4 million — unfilled U.S. jobs (Labor Department)
    • 51 percent — business owners who said the have jobs openings they can't fill (National Federation of Independent Business)
    • 48 percent — the share of America's working population actively looking for a job or watching for opportunities (Gallup, July)
    • 61.6 percent — labor participation rate in September, versus 63.3 percent in February 2020
    • 4.3 million — jobs that have vanished with the pandemic-era drop in labor participation
    • 22 — number of economists surveyed by The Wall Street Journal, out of 52, who predicted labor participation will never return to pre-pandemic levels
    • 40 percent — share of the 4.3 million people who quit in August from restaurant and hotel jobs
    • 930,500 — drop in restaurant and bar jobs in September versus February 2020
    • 12.7 percent — increase in hourly pay at bars and restaurants in August versus February 2020
    • 7.3 percent — increase in price of restaurant meals in September versus February 2020
    • 3.6 million — number of new retirees between February 2020 and June 2021
    "You might be wondering why is everyone quitting now — like, right now," Trevor Noah said on Thursday's Daily Show. "I mean, people have wanted to quit their jobs since the beginning of time." In this case, "it turns out there isn't one reason people are quitting their jobs," he said, "because the pandemic has given people a million reasons to quit their jobs."

ryan_98, mdrowe00 and Ottomaton like this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

What's been amazing to me about all of this is just how important momentum has proven to be in how people operate.

If you're working retail, service, food, hospitality, etc. This gave you a very long pause to stop, think, reevaluate and adjust.

Those sectors suck complete butt. Low pay. Long hours. Hard labor. Few benefits. And dealing with the public... During a pandemic. No thanks.

This could have been largely avoided if we had actually frozen people's wages/jobs in place.

It will take a long while to backfill the "lost" workforce. Probably 3 to 5 years. Maybe longer.

ElPigto, Two Sandwiches and Xerobull like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is one reason why I've been thinking we should've been gradually decreasing benefits including expanded unemployment that were put in during the shutdowns. It's also an example of how the market is working to raise wages as demand for labor increases without the need for governments increasing the minimum wage.

Two Sandwiches and Xerobull like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I got a shiet raise so I'm looking as well. Not looking super aggressively, but at least am sending out some applications here and there. The only problem is that my current job is pretty easy-going, which is nice, so I basically want a 20% raise with the same easy-going workday! That might not be so easy to find but I'm trying.

Squirtle, Sajan, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Those benefits have been gone for months. That scapegoat is gone. It ain't the gubbermint checks responsible for this.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe we could find a new creative way to reduce the average Americans' financial comfort to force them into jobs?

Foot on the neck always works noicely!

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough.

8. Major

Major Member

That's not entirely true. What we've seen is that a ton of people made massively more money than they ever have before. And whether through financial responsibility or a lack of things to do during Covid, they saved much of that money and/or paid down massive amounts of debt. Covid funds along with suspensions of student debt payments/etc have basically been the biggest anti-poverty program in generations. As a result, many people are "wealthier" than they have been before and they are able to be pickier in choosing jobs or have the flexibility to wait a bit longer or try to change career paths. That explains the current weirdness of "lots of jobs" and "lots of unemployed people". Over time, however, that will revert - as Covid ends, people will start spending and build up debt as they always have. At that point, I suspect employment trends will revert as savings get drained, but right now, those government benefits are still having their effect because they went way beyond keeping people's incomes steady. Many low-wage workers made 2+ years of income in 1 year while also spending less, so they can afford to go a long while without employment for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, ryan_98, ElPigto and 3 others like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Well said and a perfect argument for forgiving student loan debt.

Phillyrocket and Rocket River like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

I hope they don’t do blanket forgiveness. Some targeted forgiveness is fine. All the borrowers just got a massive benefit with two years no interest and the majority not effected economically by Covid at all. For many, that’s a large degree of forgiveness in of itself, paying down straight principal.

Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

There's no doubt that student loan forgiveness would be a massive anti-poverty program in the short-term. But it doesn't solve the underlying college cost problem (and may heavily exacerbate it), and the big problem right now is we don't know what the effects of the Covid anti-poverty stuff is going to have longer term. Right now, we're having major economic disruptions - massive inflation, supply chain disruptions, the economics of a lot of small businesses are wrecked (though partially addressed through PPP loans depending on individual luck and circumstances), etc. But it's unclear if these are short or long term things, and it's unclear whether that's due to the Covid funds, the Covid disruptions, long-term structural changes from Covid, a perfect storm of lots of factors, etc. There's no doubt it's dramatically lowered poverty in the short term. But if it causes high inflation and a spike in interest rates for an extended period, it may be short-lived and it may end up reversing itself and/or causing new problems. Right now, I think the Covid funding gets an A for short-term effects but an Incomplete for long-term.

Corrosion, jiggyfly, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I was working remotely from March of 20 to August of 21.

I was able to quit pretending to work for 60% of my day which allowed to get a second full time job, which also only required about 40% of my time.

Net gain here was double my income, with 20% less time spent, all while saving money on commuting, food, getting more sleep, and seeing my young children more.

That all ended in August when we were forced back to work, for no reason whatsoever. Inevitably, I became discontent almost immediately and landed fulltime remote job starting Monday. I am also contracting back with old company because they cant replace my niche skillset when it comes to thier compliance reporting.

I dont know if I count as a great resignation person, but the pandemic sure did change everything for me.

Amiga, jiggyfly, marky :) and 6 others like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you have the courtesy to tell each of the companies that you were working full time for, that you were spending half your work day time working for another company?

14. TheresTheDagger

Probably just as much courtesy extended as the company reasons for not approving raises or subtly pressuring folks into working unwanted OT.

Nook, Amiga, whag00 and 7 others like this.
  15. larsv8

Nope.

I said, what do you need done and when do you need it by, as work should be.

Amiga, whag00, ThatBoyNick and 5 others like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

For a lot of skills, companies should pay us for our talents and energy, with clear expectations, and not so much for hours in a certain chair.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pure gold. Bragging working two jobs and doesnt understand why workers are being called back.

Our company tried to be edgy doing the work from home thing. It was very clear those who worked from home's productivity was much lower than those who showed up at the office. We knew who was working multiple jobs during work hours.

Personally, I find this practice unethical unless the employer gives their explicit blessing.

Corrosion and Amiga like this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree. Its called consulting and contracting. Maximize the efforts and minimalize the BS. The best in industry often go this route.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. larsv8

Perhaps that was the case in your industry, it was not in ours.

Our revenue, productivity and morale were all up.

Our parent company, who frankly knows nothing about our people, customer, business, or processes, mandated the return from across the country. And now they have lost about 10% of their workforce, all star performers, and for what?

B-Bob and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

My wife is a business consultant for a global chemical company and said their productivity was up during work at home.

@Space Ghost lives in Florida though. Bath salts aren’t good for productivity.