1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Grass is Always GREENer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikenm268, Jan 26, 2022.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

People have zero patience that's why I can't read clutchfans. The amount of people that think the world is over if Green busts is hilarious. Like you guys know we have only been bad for one year right

Nook and DrNuegebauer like this.
  2. futilman

futilman Member

Speaking for myself as a pro-Mobley person, I have never once cared about being "right". Yes, I wanted Mobley and I'm upset we didn't get him, but I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

I can't help that, day by day, Mobley proves the pro-Mobley crowd right and proves this incompetent organization wrong. We have started to see a trend in TERRIBLE moves after Tilman bought the team and the toughest pill to swallow is that there is no end in sight. We may have whiffed on a generational talent that set our organization back a decade, and I will eventually get over it because I love this team. However, we should absolutely continue to shove this mistake into the face of the organization until 1) we definitively know they learn from their mistakes or 2) the people that made the decision are fired (like the Kings fired execs that said Bagley>Luka)

GotGame15, D-rock, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I had lunch at a non Tilman restaurant this afternoon which had
    one of the TV's set to E*PN.....one of the topics title, "Not Aways Greener
    on the Other Side......?

It was about Harden voicing his frustrations.

I'm ok with Harden getting kicked now,......he's not a Rocket

DeBeards likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

A high draft pick should not look like a church league player as to basic fundamentals. Green looks like he has spent most of his life in pick up games. There is little or no evidence of coaching. That is totally unacceptable at the pro level. Can "they" refine him? Depends on who is doing the refining, and I am just as unimpressed with our current coaching staff.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

cont'd from post above #23

*Green is a little on the frail side
    (knew this when we drafted him; but I wanted Green)
    *He took several days off to nurse his hamstring
    *Came back to, "One Big" rotation.....rest gave him a second wind and was
    killing it for about 7 games.
    *Then hit the rookie wall again......stats have dipped dramatically
    *Team is trying to help Green by having him more as a spot up shooter.
    (facilitating more with EGo/Porter/Tate/Sengun, imo)

## My guess is that the Rockets are having Green lift Max weights to build bulk ##

## Has hampered his shot ##

## Lacking consistency due to his base of support "Noodle-Legged" as
    a result of maxing in his workouts ##

***Why do I suspect this? Because he is a better shooter/driver than we are seeing***
    ***and it's what I would have Green focused on, if I was managing him***

I'm not worried about the stats or ROTY (or other shallow goals)....just his
    health and his future. Both will help elevate the Rockets success next season
    and beyond.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Does Green even rank top 10 among the rookies this year?

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Bad example if you were trying to make yourself feel better. Cade and Suggs both started the season shooting poorly from the field, the similarities end there, which is why the only stat you can produce is %s and net rating proving they are all on bad teams?

Both Cade and Suggs have become more efficient of late, but more importantly, all year they have both been far better defenders and facilitators that the team runs their offense through. Green is one of the worst defenders in the entire league and stands in the corner on offense, which he should be thankful for, because putting the ball in his hands only leads to turnovers and blind drives that gets easily blocked. Green is scoring inefficiently, and can’t do anything else on the floor. Cade and Suggs started the season inefficiently, but do everything else on the floor, and have even started becoming efficient at scoring. There is no comparison.

GotGame15, D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Firstly Luka had about 20 times the hype either Green, Mobley had. I had no idea what kind of fruckery happened that draft because most had it Ayton/Luka at No. 1.

Secondly Mobley is not even close to Luka was, and I doubt he won't be any time soon, Luka was an MVP level player by his second season

Also explain setting the organization back for a decade when we have another 2 lottery picks and a bunch of other picks in the next 5-6 years.

Let me tell you a story. In 2014 a team drafted one of the best centers in the league today at No. 3, another team drafted a player that is no longer an NBA player today at No. 2. Let me know which team won a championship in the past decade.

Drafting has always been hit or miss, having picks just ups your odds. You guys are just really dramatic

Patience likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Exactly!
    How many top 5 picks are not all-stars? The answer is the majority.

Patience, daywalker02 and mikenm268 like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Interesting you round down the %s for Cade but up for Green. lol Shows your inherent bias.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...reenja05&player_id1=cunnica01&sum=0&request=1

A quick glance at these number comparisons and you realize how bad Green has been and this doesn't even account that Cade is better rebounder and passer and plays significantly better defense.

I doubt Green will be a "bust" but I also doubt he will be a better player than many of the other lottery players drafted after him in this same class.

In a couple years from now, we could be looking at this class and going, wow, Stone really blew that pick.

D-rock likes this.
  12. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

It’s not exactly a thread about deep statistical analysis, but since you care, no, I did not selectively round.

It appears as of this morning, Basketball Reference (my source) wasn’t including the games from 1/25 (note ‘games played’) so the data is accurate for games thru 1/24…that said, if that’s your quibble, you are really missing the point of my post.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I had fun this season, the posts were fun.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is not getting enough love. what was the reason picking green if you were going to park him in the corner.

I wonder if the Rockets trust JG or they really just want KPJ to get ALL these reps.

DeBeards, vator and mikenm268 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets had a problem with hierarchy.

This is not some amateur game, let him create for 25 games, if he can't do it then go to Porter jr.

Just because KPJ's contract is running out first, you do not have to force the issue.

It doesn't look good if your 30th pick is doing relatively well and your 2nd overall pick might be the odd man out.

DeBeards, vator and DreamShook like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He just needs to realize that he’s not that cute on and off the court

BallSoHarden likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah, I don't get it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

If this was an anime, right now Green would be in the middle of his training montage...and then next episode (with a new opening theme, of course) would be him finally doing something crazy. Too bad it’s not :( one can dream, of course

vator likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Green really should be better. His overall game just isn’t nearly as good as it hopefully will be in the future. I think a lot of people overestimated his readiness for the league, but I still think he will get there as his body develops. He needs to get stronger. Period. That will help him tremendously.

GotGame15 and D-rock like this.
  20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The problem is the majority of top 5 picks players this season are playing better than Jalen Green. Perhaps he is the worst right now.

GotGame15 likes this.