1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The GOP takes harsher stance towards Islam/Muslims

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pharaoh King, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I know there are already topics hear discussing the falsely named "Ground Zero Mosque" here, but this one is NOT intended for that debate so please respect that.

The intent here is debating the fact that politicians so not seem to mind stooping to the level of promoting a general atmosphere of xenophobia and intolerance towards a minority group, be it Muslims or Hispanics as of late, all in the name of getting votes. We see this every election cycle with issues like abortion or homosexual marriages as was the case in the past, so it is not like this is something new. But I am curious to see if you guys think this is just the dark side of democracy and something we have to accept or if you think that majority opinion is always right, and that politicians should heed the polls regardless of principles or the general concern for the well-being and progress of society as a whole. Why is it that otherwise enlightened people in an advanced democracy still get duped by politicians who seek to appeal to the worst in them, or their base instincts?

This article made me think about those things

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Haha hilarious, so now Dubya was a level-headed tolerant politician instead of the bigot anti-islamic nazi most liberals so vehemently claimed he was. I remember the Hitler comparisons and neo-nazi conspiracy theories that were circulated in abundance on this very board a few years ago.

So which is it now, Is Bush a bigot muslim hater or a man of religious tolerance?

You can't destroy the man's character for a decade and now pretend like it was nothing and just shrug it off.

I think neither Bush nor any current Republican is a bigot as the leftist media would have you believed. There are disagreements on the establishment of mosque near ground zero but race or religion plays a much smaller role in this than the pundits would have you believed. Look at it, Muslims were quietly praying in the very mosque for several months now without incident but the mainstream media draws focus on it for no good reason and all of a sudden people are upset over it when in fact few people even knew the mosque existed before it gained media popularity. I think media exposure did more harm to the mosque than the perceived good.

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I never really thought that Bush was a bigot....issue was that he was dumb. He'd do dumb things and make dumb choices to make people think he had an agenda.

I think that Bush seriously believed that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. The rest around him....not so much. They were more sinister in their reasoning. Be it oil, anti-Islam, defense contractors, etc. Bush, on the other hand, was just plain dumb enough to fall for it.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Falsely named?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Zero_Mosque

Less than two football fields. To me, that's close enough to be called ground zero. Hell, the building was close enough to be damaged in the attack. And there is going to be a Mosque built there, so I think the phrase is accurate.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Another person who has never been to lower manhattan and doesn't know jack about its geography lecturing us about it.

Ground zero = the lot on which the former WTC stood.

Not everything between Fulton and Bowling Green.

Not Battery Park City.

Not Moran's.

Not the World Financial Center.

Not the Century 21.

Not the New York Dolls.

Not the former Deutsche Bank building.

Not the Millenium Hilton downtown.

Not the Burlington Coat factory.

Not my old gf's place on Washington & Rector.

Not the Dowtown Athletic Club.

Understand?

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I read an interesting article a few days ago talking about the cause of the rise of Islamaphobia over the last year. Basically the article's premise was that as long as Bush (a republican) was in office and put forth the image that this was not a war on Islam, the rank and file (closet racists) had to stay in check and toe the party line. But once Obama was elected there was nothing to keep the lid on. Restraint was no longer necessary. The tea party...er..crazies were free to make themselves known publically.

I think this willingness to play to the dark instincts of human nature will surely gain short term votes. But republicans are playing with dangerous fire by alienating Mexicans and Muslims or any non white person in America.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

Maybe it's just a sign of how much worse the rest of Republicans are that by comparison Bush looks to be a level-headed tolerant politician.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the correct name is The Dome of the Landing Gear.

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Or maybe it's because Bush is no longer the punching pinata liberals can smash to retrieve political sweets. His "dumbness" as someone put it earlier in this thread, is perhaps the reason he was such an easy target. Bush hardly ever defended any of the slander and lies perpetrated against him in the mainstream media. His "laissez faire" attitude on the tabloid/journalism media led to him to avoid more open discussion on several issues including the often portrayed idea that he was an anti-Islamic fear-monger when the facts and now historical analysis are proving otherwise.

I think the same is line of portrayal is occurring against the GOP today. Bush bashing no longer provides any political rewards so now the focus has shifted to other ranking members of the Republican party. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to believe that race and religion are not in play here but the actual extent to which it plays a role has be grossly overstate by the left and its media outlet. Yes there are some non-tolerant Republicans out there just as there are "Robert Byrds" in the Democratic wing. However, to label either party as representing the views of a select few is grossly inaccurate and fraudulent.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

why don't you just cut to the chase? It's the 911Mosque

right?

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Muslims + 911 = hilarious

12. basso

Supporting Member

fixed.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It shores up their support with the fundamentalists AND the suburban wives.

It's a smart strategy, just like their anti-black strategy of the twentieth century.

14. basso

Supporting Member

fixed.

15. Major

Major Member

Interesting, except that it's primarily Bush supporters, aides, and moderates in the GOP that are making the claim that Bush was a voice of reason in their party. It's people like David Frum or Michael Gerson. It's not the same people that hated him.

Really? So you don't think the Republicans saying that Islam should not fall under freedom of religion, or who are fighting random mosques being built in Tennessee or California are bigots? You don't think comparing the mosque in NY to nazi-ism is bigtoed? What would you consider these things? Even Pat freaking Buchanan had to come out and denounce this nonsense, and he's a crazy himself.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

He still started a war with a country because of their alleged ties to the terrorists that attacked us without understanding that because of religious differences between those groups, there never would have been any cooperation between them. That sounds pretty close to lumping all Muslims together.

Also, I like the bit about how he didn't care about how the media portrayed his administration, yet there have been reports that his people hand delivered their desired daily talking points to Fox News, the most watched news network in America.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

CNN, NBC, and Fox all were contacted by the Bush administration in 2003 and were more or less told they had to downplay the Afghan war causalities so that when he declared war on Iraq later that week, there would be less opposition.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Different factors led to the war in Iraq. At times it was geopolitical issues, national security, middle east security and such but Bush never waged the war on religious grounds or base on some hatred for Muslims like he was portrayed in the mainstream media. In fact he was more "in bed" with Muslim sheiks especially the Saudis. So you can call it a number of things but the war was never about Islam or religion in general for that matter.

I agree with you that Bush grossly miscalculated the relationship between the Iraqis and organized terrorists but then again very few people fully understand the ethnic and religious history of the Middle East.

The part about Fox is pretty accurate and every president tries to manipulate the media and the flow of information especially during wars (lookup Wilson, FDR, Truman, Johnson etc...) However, my point was that in comparison to some other president including Obama, Bush was far less engaging of the media especially towards their hostility and often negative portrayal of his intelligence and character. He rarely came out and defended against some of the highly damaging stuff the media put out. He was openly called a number of things by a number of journalists yet he kept away and went on like it didn't bother him. I mean in comparison look at Kanye West Katrina comments, the shoe incident etc...No one in mainstream media defended him except for Fox. Now today you a get a few racists signs at some random tea party rally and all of sudden the entire leftist machine is up in arms defending Obama and condemning the entire movement. Where were these people when Bush was bashed at freaking telethon by Kanye?

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't matter. Muslims are just going to keep reproducing, keep immigrating, and keep voting for the democrats.

It seems the best solution is to just drown the Muslim-haters out.

20. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Oh, I am an Arab American and I have NEVER believed for a second that Bush was an anti-Islam fanatic. In fact, he was probably too close to Arab and Muslim leaders and he even had Prince Bandar (his best friend) in the White House to discuss the Iraq invasion. The Gulf Arabs still like Bush, him and his father have been the beneficiaries of a lot of Saudi and Arab money going into their coffers over the years.

Bush made terrible foreign policy choices, but I would never accuse him of being a bigot. In fact, on race and outreach to minorities during his time, he was quite good at it. The guy visited a mosque, pandered to Hispanics, and won over Jewish voters to the GOP all during his time.

So yeah there is much to be critical of when it comes to the former president, but Bush was not a bigot or anti-Islam in the least bit. That is a baseless charge.