1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The glass-half-full take on the Oladipo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mightybosstone, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hey OP. No need to be self righteous and call out the “sad sacks” for expressing their frustration and opinions. You are entitled to yours as well.

2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Next year we get the Nets pick and can swap that for the Heat's pick next year (unless it falls in the lotto). Pretty decent odds the Nets are better than the Heat next year so there is some value.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ahh, I thought we had a swap with them.

4. mightybosstone

Jesus, man. I'm trying to move on from the Harden deal, and you're treating it like one single line of assets from like 20 years ago. You've got to let it go. Also, you're treating KMart in that line like he was the main piece of that Harden trade. But I'd argue the pick from the Kyle Lowry trade and all the other picks and drafted rookies (Lamb included) were far more important to OKC.

And, again, I'm very aware that Harden for Oladipo was a massive downgrade and that the trade from two months ago was an overall disappointment. But like I said elsewhere in this thread, Dipo was never going to be the major piece of this deal; the picks were. If we'd had Caris LeVert instead, that wouldn't change my outlook, either, as LeVert also is not even a borderline All-Star.

5. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Interesting. What is your take on the media narrative that Harden was fat, partying without a mask while skipping training camp, bad mouthing team members at press conferences, and a "dribbler" that never used his team mates? How much damage did that cause to Hardens trade value? How much did the media narrative that Oladipo was washed, crippled, a chucker, inefficient have to do with his negative trade value?

What did the front office do to diminish their players value?

6. mightybosstone

But as I pointed out in a few other posts in here, Oladipo was never the star of this trade. If they'd kept LeVert and Allen, those guys wouldn't have been either. The picks are the star of the show, and we're not going to really see the fruit of that seed for a while. I get being pissed because Dipo was the biggest asset from a personnel standpoint, but he was not the most important piece of that deal.

pr0wler and roslolian like this.
  7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Sure we might not use it but if you could have the number 50 pick or the Pistons top 3 protected pick this year which would you rather have?

A late second rounder is pretty close to worthless. There's a pretty reasonable chance now having swap rights for BKN's pick with Miami's pick that we could end up improving that pick by 10 or so in the first round next year. That's not earth shattering value, but there is legitimate value in that move.

Regarding making Miami better, I explained this earlier but if we don't make the Dipo trade then supposedly the Heat pull the trigger on a trade for Lowry. Decent chance that would make Miami as good or even better for the rest of the season than they will be after getting Oladipo. Plus Toronto would now be in the full on tank sweepstakes and possibly hurt our lottery odds.

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The primary thing the owner did to diminish Harden's value is force him to act out to force a trade. They didn't call Harden's coach when the season ended for his year end review to see where they stood, he quits on the plane, they didn't really defend Morey after the twitter ordeal and completely disrespected him the rest of the season and forced him to step down, then they didnt take Harden's input into consideration when it came to the head coach hire, he did not want Silas. So now you have guys like Harden and PJ acting like we have never seen them act in their tenure and tank their values.

9. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

So as to not get lost in the Oladipo thread, I thought @Nook had an objective perspective on the Rockets.

"While the Rockets have struggled with the Harden related deals.... they still have shown an eye for talent. The Rockets signed Tate from Australia and they drafted Martin..... both have proven to be good value. The Rockets also bought low on Porter and that may really work out well for the Rockets.

The Rockets have a 52% chance of having a top 4 draft pick this season in a draft that is 5 players deep, so they could get a franchise player in the draft.

Also, the Nets already are having a hard time keeping KD and Kyrie on the court and Harden is 32 years old next year. The draft swaps may prove very valuable and the Rockets may get a lottery pick or two out of those.

The Rockets also have lined up a bunch of long shots with the Heat and Bucks picks, but sometimes they pay off.

The Rockets also have their own 2022 pick which could be high lottery.... and the future picks to OKC have better protections so the Rockets shouldn't lose so much."

10. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Insert gif image of Jordan laughing with hand on face. You are a hater. I suggest you go find a new team, maybe Nets. Get a dog or something.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. Rockets4Life13

i disagree about that one. I think Allen is a solid player and i think you could've gotten something for the matching rights.

Also, us lucking out and Porter getting traded is not really something that you plan, it just happened.

After all, i'm ok with the moves made. I just think we didn't maximize value.

12. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Well said!

mightybosstone likes this.
  13. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Which one of you genius posters is this? I have never seen so many black folk triggered up in here.

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

So... It's ridiculous to tell people to move on. I'm not gonna let it go until the picks play out and we can finally see if the gamble paid off. People wanted a tanking Rockets. It has to play out before it gets let go by the fans who didn't want Harden to get disgruntled and force trades.

It has absolutely 0 to do with Dipo, I moved on from him before he even got here. I also don't care about Levert.

It was a single line asset trading... So I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Yes, picks were involved, and I obviously remember Jeremy Lamb being packaged. It doesn't change the fact that there were star players being exchanged in the best deals possible for both sides in every transaction. And... No... Kevin Martin was the central piece at the exact moment. It was going to take a while for Lamb to develop, that was quite obvious even before the trade.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? When you say something that has "if" then its not 100% chance.

48% chance of getting Miami's pick is "100% chance we get the pick if the Rox dont get a top 4 pick". Its just semantics. You dont get 100% chance to use the swap next year itll depend on how good Miami and Nets are.

Regardless projected 5 spot improvement from Miami to Brooklyn is worse than what Rox got for Tucker. Thats just crazy dumb esp since it has a downside whereas the Tucker trade is net asset positive 100% of the time.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Tyler Herro has played like trash since coming back from injury and is already a bad defender. Oladipo will be an immediate upgrade

pr0wler likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lowry is better than Dipo for this season and it is not remotely close.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  18. mightybosstone

I think you're missing my primary point of that, though, which is that there's a 52% chance right now that the whole "we made Miami better" factor never comes into play.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The glass is half full because Tilman can only afford half a glass.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who cares whether it got planned or not when you have a baby the end result is you are a dad whether its planned or an accident. Doesnt matter whether its calculared or Rox just lucky KPJ still in a Rox uni due to the Allen trade. If that trade didnt happen then KPJ would still be in cleveland.

Maybe you couldve gotten something for the matching rights but it def isnt gonna be a FRP, 30M in cash and KPJ for Allen and a protected second rounder. Look what the Rox got for Dipo man, its prob gonna be another pick swap.

Im ok with the moves except this Dipo trade. It was just dumb Id rather keep Dipo for the season.