1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Here is some reading for you, intern:

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl..._why_must_be_pretend_they_never_happen.2.html

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...istics-dont-back-up-claims-about-rape-culture

This sounds much more realistic to me. It's still way too high a figure, but if it was 1 in 3, I would have come across someone who claimed to be a victim personally, I think, and it would be in the news, etc. a whole lot more.

Now, e.g. in Egypt, I would believe the 1 in 3 figure. My girlfriend at the time went a week before I joined her on a vacation and she said it was horrible, she was constantly hassled by male staff to a degree where she felt threatened, as long as she was there by herself.

And since you are so much into statistics, here is more for you, intern, to back up my anecdotal evidence.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...have-been-sexually-harassed-180951726/?no-ist

Why would the United Nations make up statistics?

And why is Northside Intern more upset about 1 in 40 (realistic) or 1 in 3 (unrealistic) as opposed to 99.3 % in Egypt (realistic)? :confused:

#101 AroundTheWorld, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Absolutely. I would normally never engage with Islamists or certain other dimwits. But you hit the nail on the head on this one.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Good that you're reading and responding.

You'll note then that the Brown University study had the following criterion:

That was the 1 in 3 figure I quoted. -> nonconsenual vaginal, anal, or oral penetration

From your cited study--

Meanwhile, here's a look at what goes on from study to study and why there are such different results.

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/11/73782...ampus-rape-look-like-an-epidemic-while-others

Now we're getting to the root of a very real problem: the systematic underreporting of rape. Much as I have sympathy like in your Slate article that we must reserve judgement, I acknowledge that the court of public opinion is much more unpredictable than the court of law--which is why we have courts of law in the first place. And I think and have always said that by far the greater problem is the systematic underreporting based on data not overreporting of rape based on anecdote.

4. Northside Storm

lol, derailing your own thread eh?

Yeah, I am very upset when women's rights get violated. Anywhere. But I get especially upset when I am actively engaging with people who seek to dismiss systematic data on sexual assault with anecdotes. I'm slightly less upset now that you're talking substance, though.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Didn't read, but you should spend some more time googling and copying and pasting.

Good luck with that.

Back to the actual topic of the thread, which is an individual case: This girl is clearly lying.

6. Northside Storm

lolllllll. inevitable.

Stick to anecdote and ignoring facts. It works much better for you than actual argumentation and insight ;)

peace. Have a good weekend.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You keep ignoring the facts of this case, which is the topic of this thread.

Your desperate attention-seeking is noted. Fortunately, I am a very fast typer, so my generous contribution to schooling and educating you does not cost me much time.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Suggesting that something is "fact" simply because you found a study that reports the result you want it to doesn't exactly make it fact. Also, we're once again off topic, this thread is about one instance, not about rape statistics.

You still never answered why you think unreported sexual assaults are relevant to this instance of a crazy woman lying about rape...

9. Northside Storm

It is a fact that 1/3 of college students reported sexual assault in that study I cited, a fact people have continually tried to dispute for some reason.

This thread is on one instance because it was poorly defined and scoped. The overarching topic is an alleged overreporting/lying about sexual assault as OP has repeated over and over, most recently with his link to a passionate Slate outcry for the falsely accused.

I have always said that underreporting noted by data (the aggregate trend) is more concerning than inaccuracy noted by anecdote (which the Slate article calls to again)

Yes I have, many times.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Who cares what an intern likes or doesn't like.

If you want to talk about underreporting of rapes (vs. false accusations of rape (which, by the way, according to crime statistics, are several times higher than those for other crimes)), then start a new thread.

As the thread starter, I am once again clarifying that I started this thread to talk about the individual case, the facts of which you keep ignoring. You are not addressing the fact that this lady kept communicating in a friendly way with the guy for months, telling him she loves him, wants to see him, etc., and only when it was clear he wasn't responding in kind and had met someone else, she reported him for rape and tried to get him expelled from the campus.

Address this specific fact, rather than wiggling your way out by saying "oh it's messy, it's he said/she said, how do we know for sure that she wasn't raped, do you have proof of that, yada yada".

P.S.: Once again, your "logic" is extremely faulty: You try to shout down the facts of the individual case with statistics about how rape gets underreported, but you also did not address the argument that every false rape accusation undermines the credibility of reporting of actual rape and thereby harms actual rape victims.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your 1/3rd number comes from a flawed study....a study that relies on subjective opinion and definition of a small sample of people....a study that doesn't differentiate between the subjective "attempted rape" and the better defined (for the purposes of the study) "completed rape", because of this the data is essentially worthless. A bad study shows nothing.

Your assumption that this thread is actually about something other than what it is really about is pretty weak. This one instance of a crazy woman lying about rape says nothing about actual cases of rape. If you want the conversation to be about that, perhaps you should start a thread about that rather than derailing this one.

12. Northside Storm

Please address the following people first who have strayed from this specific case to generalizations:

I'm not wiggling out of s**t. I've said several times it's possible she's lying, though I don't think I'd be as certain as you at dismissing any possibility of rape.

I'm asking so what? What are you trying to get at with this anecdote? Systematic sex assault fraud? Overreporting of rape on campuses? If it's nothing than you can keep to this anecdote and posting about how irrelevant it is to any larger context. But let's not play dumb here and pretend this wasn't scoped for a larger discussion.

If it wasn't, hats off to your propsensity for dull topics and hats down for your lax policing.

13. Northside Storm

yeah, you know a large reason why?

because people like OP start threads like this and don't stop people from generalizing an anecdote to a general trend.

Which is why we're talking about maybe 3 false rape accusations including your Slate article and not 1000s of unreported rapes.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

None of the above. I was interested in people's take on this case. I had first heard about it some months ago and was sympathetic to the girl, not reading up on the facts of the case or anything, just assuming she was actually raped. A few days ago, some articles popped up in the German press about this case, questioning the validity of her claims, and I first found out that the guy accused of the rape is German. I then started reading up on the case and came to the conclusion that this girl is a psycho liar, but wanted to hear how others judged this case, hoping that some would actually read up on the facts and give an informed opinion (unlike you). And I posted it in the D&D because it's not a big ass Gordita.

The only one who is acting dumb is you. Anyone can make any side comments, but you are the only one who frantically tried to turn it into a discussion it was not intended to be, and embarrassed yourself badly while doing so.

15. Northside Storm

wut. so 1 data point > 500. and subjective opinion on what? and no you are clearly not reading.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Intern, have you actually ever stepped foot on a campus? Or have you not made it out of your mom's basement. I thought you worked as some underling in some university institute, or am I mixing this up.

Serious question: Do you really think that 1 out of 3 females you saw walking around on that campus were raped? Really?

17. Northside Storm

My opinion is that this case should NEVER be construed as a blocking point to discuss what is a very real problem: how college sexual assaults are reported.

It's your right to decide not to engage with me, but to be perfectly frank, you started and you insist on stopping because of thread policing reasons that are not at all apparant with others generalizing the situation so I don't have any sympathy at all, really. For me, it's a plain and simple case of you not being able to reason or discuss at a certain level so you insist on bringing it back down. Which is fine, but let's not pretend you have ever really cared about thread derails (lest I point to the multiple instances of personal insults you lob at random in multiple threads).

Don't play dumb ATW. ;)

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are free to start a new thread for that. Nobody is blocking you from that.

19. Northside Storm

Why should I rely on gut feeling when I have data?

But yes, my experience on campus indicates this is entirely plausible. Perhaps why I fight so strongly on this topic, actually. And if memory serves, my time on campus was a f**k of a lot more recent than yours.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Tell us more.

This guy actually claims that he thinks it is realistic that 1 out of 3 female students on campus were raped.