1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So you think it's okay that she publicly accused the guy of rape?

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

So you think it's okay that the RAINN network has reported that only 2% of rapists in America will ever see a day in jail?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I started this thread about this specific case. I don't care about your made up stats.

Comment on the case, or get out.

http://www.returnofkings.com/55168/...ess-rape-victim-emma-sulkowicz-made-it-all-up

http://reason.com/archives/2015/05/20/columbia-rape-saga-lingers-after-mattres/

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/418686/mattress-girl-perfect-icon-feminist-left-ian-tuttle

http://gothamist.com/2015/05/20/columbia_rape_protest_posters.php

1 person likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How does that have anything at all to do with this case?

5. Northside Storm

I started here:

And posted a study that indicated that 1/3 of college women were being sexually assualted. Obviously the implication is that the thousands of unreported cases outweigh this anecdotal point where we may or may not know what happened.

This prompted an unsolicited response dismissing the "rape issue" from OP and several others.

Then OP proceeded to dismiss stats, research, and now he wants to focus on "the individual case" after "sidetracking" his own thread. I can't say that I have much sympathy for somebody who starts a thread about sexual assault and can't debate about it.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I started here:

Post 1.

And I made this thread about the particular case. Not about your stats.

You never even made the effort to really try and understand the facts of the case. Instead, you try to push an agenda against the USA. Typical.

If you were really concerned about rape victims, you should be a lot more concerned about what is going on in Sharia law countries, where rape victims are raped again - by the religious "law".

You try to zoom away from the individual case, but you only want to zoom as far as it supports your bias. Your "I condemn all rapes in all countries and please donate to Amnesty" doesn't cover that up.

7. Northside Storm

Did I make them up or did Brown University, the NY Times, Mic, the Department of Labour and the CDC?

I have commented on the case.

You're the one who insists on barging into topics ("what do you think about countries around the world that encourage rape, you must love them") and then disengaging as soon as data overwhelms you. You can't even stop yourself from trying to dismiss a very real problem.

8. Northside Storm

And the nature of discussions is that they evolve LOL. I did not even invite you to enter a discussion with me, mostly because I knew something like this was the inevitable result.

Discussions evolve--now you're trying to point to Islam, another pet topic of yours. You can't even stop yourself from sidetracking into one of your favorite topics within your own thread.

And I've made it clear time and again why I think it's bulls**t that this case is getting so much scrutiny and thousands of unreported sexual assaults aren't--insomuch as you're accusing me of making no effort following the case I have at least seen and read the material.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's too bad there aren't more women on this board as I am sure they would add a lot of perspective to this discussion.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No no no. You got it all wrong. The girl is getting celebrated like a hero, invited to a State of the Union address, etc. etc. etc. This indirectly implies the guy must be perceived as guilty by those who celebrate her, because why else would one celebrate the girl like that, if she has been lying all along?

Your "are you certain there's no way she could have been raped" is turning things upside down. It creates a "guilty until proven innocent" standard for the guy which you yourself even in your post admit is impossible to prove.

But if you had read her Facebook messages over several months to him, trying to get his attention, telling him she loves him, etc. etc. - AFTER the date of the alleged rape - then, yes, I am certain that she was not raped. Women not reporting a rape because they are afraid, they are ashamed, they want to not think about it, etc. etc. is one thing - but I simply don't see how a woman that is not in an oppressive relationship with the guy or anything keeps sending him messages, telling him she loves him and all, and when he remains non-committal, suddenly she reports him for rape.

Apparently the university and the police saw it the same way.

Whereas you try to create a "guilty until proven innocent" standard.

11. Northside Storm

I'd like to point out that your line of argumentation is in line with those inane, s**tbag regimes who encourage and condone sexual assault with their s**tbag policies. By dismissing very real data about endemic sexual assault, you are hiding from a problem that continues to deny women justice. I despise how Abrahamic religions have diminished women throughout history so I don't know why you think I am biased for religious doctrines, any of them, in any form. Yes, I am an athiest who strongly values woman's rights. I am obviously in love with the UAE and have no strong feelings or actions about this because I don't vent 80,000 threads on an AMERICAN basketball forum. :confused::confused::confused:

If that's the debate you want to have, you're shooting very much down the wrong cliff in a very illogical manner, though I've always noticed that you equated thread-starting with feeling strongly and acting on a topic for some reason.

12. Northside Storm

oh the courts of public opinion as opposed to the courts of law? sorry bruh, but that's something that has to do with all sides of any debate. Nobody can stop you thinking somebody else is a s**tbag because when there's smoke, there's fire. And I happen to think the thousands of unreported rapes are much more collective trauma then one case of misjudgement.

If it makes you feel better, there are several women in tech and gaming who literally get constant death and rape threats because they took a stance on feminism once. Public opinion can be stupid and vapid, but it has no lasting legal effect. I think that guy will be okay, especially if a whole bunch of people regard him as their shining example of how there is no endemic sexual assault problem anywhere, anytime.

#92 Northside Storm, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha, so you started out saying that you didn't want to talk about this case and proceeded to start a completely different conversation that is irrelevant to this case.

It's probably best to stay on topic rather than trying to derail this thread though.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are the only one who constantly tries to steer the discussion in that direction. Nobody said that sexual assaults are not a problem. You are playing white knight to a straw man. I just personally cannot imagine that a number of 1 out of 3 college students is realistic. Every rape and sexual assault is one too many. But exactly because of that, it is important to weed out the liars like this lady, because they only damage the case of actual rape victims. Your "logic", on the other hand, appears to be "it's ok if the girl is lying because there are so many rapes that don't get reported", which is a bizarre way of thinking.

15. Northside Storm

You think that unreported sexual assault is irrelevant to this case?

:confused::confused::confused:

It's probably best not to play thread police when you engaged yourself in "derailing".

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Northside Intern has embarrassed himself in so many threads on so many topics, while putting great effort into doing so, and while trying really hard to appear as some kind of expert for the online industry, from his mom's basement.

I do feel somewhat sorry for him.

17. Northside Storm

You never answered why you thought the statistics were unrealistic after I posted about the drastic underreporting of rape in America. Pressed with more data you refused to engage and hid behind "thread topic" even though you had already attempted to "derail" this to a topic more removed from sexual assault in the United States--sexual assault in the UAE. :confused:

You also construed that I'm only interested in this topic to "slander" the United States, which is utter and complete b**ls**t.

I can reasonably construe that you want to avoid the topic of endemic sexual assaults in America but that it's not because of thread scope. Why? No idea. But it seems like you do.

You have not responded to why the CDC, RAINN, Brown University, Mic, NYT, and the Department of Labor are "dreaming" up statistics.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Entirely so. How in your mind is it relevant to this case?

Do you really want to link a case where a woman lies about rape to unreported instances of actual sexual assault?

19. Northside Storm

I regard talking with people online as fun, I couldn't give a f**k if people thought I was an expert. I'm not lol, I just read and engage in topics because I like talking with people outside my regular sphere. this is what I like doing and if you're going to feel sorry for me, don't :)

My crowd tends to be like super-interesting to talk with regards to technical topics, but otherwise you get a gagglef**k of same opinions on social issues. This forum is interesting in the sense that it promotes views that I don't normally ever engage with in the normal sphere of things.

20. Northside Storm

Yep.

People don't seem to want to acknowledge the latter in this thread ("it's unrealistic! it's dreamland! the UAE is worser!"), so yes, sadly, this thread has become the perfect example of an individual anecdote that is a *****nest of he-said, she-said being used to dismiss or hide greater concerns--a greater concern being that people can't seem to get it into their heads that there is endemic sexual assault going on against American women.

I don't like when individual anecdotes take over aggregate trends so I presented evidence to the contrary that for every possible "liar" there were probably 100s of women who erred on the side of underreporting what happened to them. People got very pointed about how "unrealistic" rape stats were with no real basis in logic or data which has caused me to go further in this direction.