1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Future is Bright

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation, Dec 18, 2011.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Just a warning: this post is on the long side.

As the title suggests, Morey has done a great job at putting together young and talented players with a lot of potential at every position. Here is a breakdown of each position:

PG:
    1. Kyle Lowry (age:25)- We all love the guy. He is our leader and is a soon to be all star. He greatly improved his jumpshot last year and is easily able to penetrate and finish at the rim. He has good vision and makes good passes. He also pushes the tempo and gets easy buckets on the brea. Statistically, he was also one of the best defensive pgs last year. He has all the tools to become a star.

2. Goran Dragic (age:25)- Great backup pg who brings energy to the second unit and loves to push the tempo. He is very effective on the break and can knock down the 3 ball with consistency. He is very long and can play good defense. As seen in the playoffs 2 years ago, he can get very hot and can take over a game. Although he probably won't turn into a star, he will be a great 6th man and will bring great energy to the team.

3. Johnny Flynn:Don't really know much about the guy but from what I've seen, he is a good passer. I won't say much more since he was injured last season :grin:

sg:
    1. Kmart (28): One of the best scorers in the league and probably a top 3 sg as well. He is an amazing 3 point shooter. He can get to the free throw line at will and rarely turns the ball over. He is only 28 and is just reaching his prime. He has many years left in the tank and will definitely be a big key to this team because of his offensive skillset.

2. Courtney Lee (26)- Another young guy who has a chance of becoming something special if he can get his confidence level up. He was part of the championship run in orlando and was the starting sg there. He is AMAZING defensively and has a solid jump shot on the offensive end as well. He is very quick and if he can learn how to finish better, he can be dangerous. Again, I think the key to his game will be confidence because he will get the minutes to prove himself under kmac.

sf:
    1. Cbud: (23) A great offensive player who is very atheletic, can get to the rim from time to time, and can shoot the lights out. If he can learn a thing or two on defense from mchale, he can be great as well. We saw last year that given the minutes, he can produce on the offensive end and his athleticism will allow him to make some plays on defense. He is only 23 and has time to develop.

2. Twill (24): Has all-star potential. He is extremely athletic and has worked on his jumper as well. We will see what he can do given extra minutes under kmac. If he has the right attitude and tries to improve consistently, look out. 3. Morris: Haven't seen enough from him to say anything.

pf:
    1. Scola (31): This is where it gets tricky. This guy hustles, has heart, is amazing offensively, and just gets the job done. The question is, do we trade him to give room for ppat? I just don't know because he is one of my favorite players. I am leaning towards trading him just to let pat develop and because he has great value but am just not sure.

2. ppat (22): From what we have seen, this guy can be something special. He has a good mid range game and a good post game and is athletic. He should be able to improve on defense under mchale as well. If given the playing time, he can develop into a star pf.

C:
    1. Hill (24): Great energy guy and can crash the boards and get put backs. He has the potential to become a serviceable center who cleans the glass and makes defensive plays.

2. Thabeet :( (24) : I don't believe in the guy at all and think he's a bust. HOWEVER, maybe? Kmac can get this guy to put his hands up on D and change a shot or two. If so, he can provide us with that presence down low that we need.

Conclusion:
    We have so many guys who have the potential to be something special (Lowry, Lee, Bud, Twill, Ppat, Hill). We will just never know unless we give them time to develop. Everyone says, "the rockets are mediocre. Let's tank." IMO I think we should try to make the playoffs to see what these young guys can do and to give them more experience. What is the point of tanking if we will just get more young guys who are unproven in the NBA? John Wall wasn't a superstar his first year. He was certainly good, but a superstar? He will also have to get time to develop into one. Same case with Griffin. If we do make the playoffs, we will get a great opportunity to give our young guys a chance to do something and develop. If we are given an opportunity in the playoffs, we will also be able to see who will really be a star on our team.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, we have a very bright future. I don't get all the complaining that we have to get a superstar through the draft. We have SO many young guys who CAN develop into stars. Lowry is just an example. He was certainly not expected to turn into such a great pg but because he got the time to develop, he took the first step in becoming a star. Let's keep the lineup we have and let the guys play to win! Can't wait for the season to start. LET'S GO ROCKETS

3 people like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I like most of our players; they are good players and nice guys. Agree, Thabeet is furniture. The problem, none of our players are first or second team NBA, in other words they aren't the NBA stars, not one. We don't have a franchise player and the teams that have them make the playoffs and go far. I expect that the Rockets will be entertaining most nights and win about half their games and finish in the ninth seed or below, draft another short forward and do the same next year. That my friend is the definition of frustration. The only hope of rising above mediocrity is to get a franchise player. The problem seems to be that Houston is viewed as a dead end because they have to give up their best players to get one star, then the team still goes nowhere. So, what is the answer? Be very, very patient, live a very long time, or be surprised by one of our "role" players who shocks the league and becomes a Star. And that is how I see it.

3. RedNation

How can we know though that they are not NBA stars if we don't give them time. If they are great role players in their first couple years in the NBA, why can't they be better given more time. I understand the frustration but I agree with your last line. We have to wait and believe that one of our "role" players shock the league.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Two key players for this team's immediate future is Hill and Williams, if these guys can reach their potential it could set up the Rockets nicely with cap space and possibly acquiring their missing star.

5. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It seems like you're absolutely ignoring the main point of RedNation's post, which was an excellent one. You say we don't have a franchise player. RedNation acknowledges this. The point is that some of the young players we have have potential to become something special, just as any young player the Rockets could draft with a great pick would have that potential. We need to see what these guys can do. If one or two of them take their game to another level, they'll already be surrounded with the Scolas and Martins -- the very good complementary players. This team has been built in a thoughtful way, despite the frustrating setbacks such as Yao's injury. In a city like this, a place players aren't clamoring to come to as free agents or through trades, the approach management has taken seems pretty smart.

1 person likes this.
  6. RedNation

Exactly what I am trying to say. You said it better than me. :grin:

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think Lowry has the most potential to take the next step and become an All-star this year. Hill can be a good role player either off the bench or filling in a starter role. T-will can be a good starter and possible all-star if he keeps improving his game all-around. Dragic is a great combo guard off the bench and he has underrated defensive skills.

Flynn, Bud, Martin, Lee, Scola are good trade chips that could be dealt for the right return.

Hopefully Morey makes the right moves so we can get a solid roster together and move forward instead of being mediocre. (I say get Jefferson, but we'll find out)

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Thabeet is at least an NBA player. He showed that in Memphis in his first year. Dropping that ASS can be learned.

1 person likes this.
  9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wasn't disagreeing with his post or yours; just maybe not quite as optimistic. Yes, there is a chance that we can "home grow" a star, but isn't real likely. My guess is that Patterson is "most likely." Maybe Lowry. Twill is a longshot. Hill has potential and is looking better. I like the Smith kid. You never know, especially the bigs.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You gotta have confidence. There are few better coaches than McHale in this field.
    Who else than Kmac can be trusted upon? We had CD, Ewing and Olajuwon.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

We really lack a center. I have hope for all our positions developing into something that resembles the Pistons teams of a few years ago. But the center position is a gaping hole that leaves our defense way too soft to make any significant noise.

12. delishman

delishman Member

Post Gasol/Nene I wonder if Morey even currently knows what direction this team is headed in..

Seems like they are going to step back for a minute and see where the team is at.

I agree a bunch of nice players but no studs. If Scola can get to 20ppg we might be able to ship him out to a desperate team for a good haul.. (Nyets plan D!) That said that guy is the probably the coolest man alive so he sticks around I'll be happy.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I agree with the OP and you. This team is a middle of the road team, not bad enough to get a high lottery pick and not good enough to make the playoffs (when a team finishes exactly at the 14th spot, you are what you are, no fluke there).

One thing I could never understand is why a superstar like Howard does not want to play for Houston? He would be perfect as our rim protector, giving us easily another 10-12 wins, thus placing us nicely in the playoff pecking order. Does he really feel that he needs another superstar to win it all?

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Starters:
    Lowry- top 10 PG in the league
    Kmart- top 5 (at least) SG in the league
    Cbud- great young scorer, nothing more
    Scola- Will make the all star game this year
    Hill- not as undersized as some think in a league with maybe 6 legit centers

Bench:
    Twill- will eventually take Buds spot and could be a superstar
    Clee- great back up with playoff experiance
    Dragic- great spark plug with playoff experiance
    Pat- Paul milsap but better
    Morris- we will see, but I think he'll be a quolity player
    Thabeet- size, that is all
    Flynn- quick as a cat, more athletic Aaron brooks, but probably won't play much

Leadership from scola and Lowry, along with kmarts scoring and a LOT of young guys that can play NOW, I think, will give a real shot to compete this year and build on that success in the next few years!

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wish I had the optimism of a lot of posters here ..... I think this is a lottery bound team again. They didnt make the playoffs last year and did next to nothing to improve over the offseason. In fact I think they got worse losing Hayes and signing Smith to replace him ..... But at least part of that can be blamed on Adolf Stern.

I expect them to win about 22 games this season .... not enough to make the playoffs and too many to fall deep into the lottery.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

THANK YOU RED NATION FOR A POSITIVE THREAD! After all the b****in and bellyaching for how many months, its refreshing to see something optimistic that isnt tied to a potential trade or free agent acquisition! THANK YOU, again!

17. JMG524

JMG524 Member

I've been saying all along we've got a good young core group of players that have excellent chemistry and know how to play unselfish team ball. Everyone seems to have their role in this system and are all effective in their own way. On top of that they all seem to relate and get along quite well being that they're all similar in age.

If Morey can just keep this group intact for a couple more seasons and let them grow together in this system I think we can be formidable for some time.

18. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

I'm sorry if I don't have the optimism of a lot posters here but if you're in your mid twenties and a decent to ok player you're basically the player you're going to be in the nba for your career. You don't amazingly become a superstar because you just don't have the tools that a real superstar has.

I know people are going to disagree but that's the reality of it. Jordan, Hakeem, magic, bird where all good players coming into the league, they were never tweeners. After a year or two, they were already superstars. What do some of you think? If you give a player 5 years to develop they'll become superstars? It just doesn't work that way.

19. dje243

dje243 Member

22 games? I realize chuck was a big loss, but if we play anything like after the allstar break last season were going to win WAY more than that. I guess if you set the bar that
    low you cant get your hopes up.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

For years we were the overachieving team, with a ton of guys with subpar PER's but a lot of wins to show for it. In essence, our total was greater than the sum of our parts.

This year I am hoping for the exact opposite.