1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I am very very proud to say that both of my 89 year old parents think Trump is an idiot and a crook. They used to always vote republican, but not any longer. They are completely bewildered why others in their age group can't see Trump for what he is. The Holiday gatherings with my family will be peaceful and enjoyable as we all feel the same way about Trump.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

FIFY, and just kidding, I hope.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, it's a problem.

Truthfully, the best answer, for all involved? Turn it off. Everyone will be happier. Doesn't matter which 'it' it is. You'll find that none of it really matters anyway. Just playing on people's emotions.

TheresTheDagger, B-Bob and Harrisment like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

L

A federal judge in Washington has ruled that former White House counsel Don McGahn must testify to House impeachment investigators, despite orders from the Trump administration that he not cooperate with Congress.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson clears the way for McGahn's testimony sought by House Democrats in exploring Trump's possible obstruction of justice related to the Russia probe.

Jackson declared in her 118-page ruling that "no one is above the law."

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What the judge wrote in her opinion is very significant, and excuse me if I want to shout, "Hallelujah!"

From CNN:

"However busy or essential a presidential aide might be, and whatever their proximity to sensitive domestic and national-security projects, the President does not have the power to excuse him or her from taking an action that the law requires," Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson wrote.

"Stated simply, the primary takeaway from the past 250 years of recorded American history is that Presidents are not kings," Jackson said.

"If a duly authorized committee of Congress issues a valid legislative subpoena to a current or former senior-level presidential aide, the law requires the aide to appear as directed, and assert executive privilege as appropriate," the judge wrote in the 120-page opinion Monday.
    If McGahn were to appear for testimony, he still may be able to refuse to answer questions, citing executive privilege. She referred to a case involving President George W. Bush's White House counsel Harriet Miers.

"Accordingly, just as with Harriet Miers before him, Donald McGahn 'must appear before the Committee to provide testimony, and invoke executive privilege where appropriate,'" Jackson wrote.

Jackson notes in her opinion Monday that even the President himself may not be immune from testimony.
    "Even with respect to the underlying contention that the President himself is entitled to absolute testimonial immunity, Miers found binding Supreme Court cases that compelled the opposite conclusion," Jackson wrote.

#1845 Deckard, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    RayRay10, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

amen, and happy thanksgiving to ya.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

As a doctor, I advise you to start drinking heavily.

Nook, T_Man, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This might clear the way for Bolton to testify too.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...as a civilian, I also advise you to start drinking heavily.

#1849 mdrowe00, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As not a doctor, I suggest weed, alcohol and maybe cigarettes.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A federal judge ruling POTUS are not kings... awesome, but really, how low are we that that's an actual ruling.

The DOJ is going to appeal and drag this out. The DEM already said they aren't waiting, so they will proceed with finalizing their report. They also said the investigation will continue afterward.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The White House will appeal via the "Justice" Department, I assume. Seems like it would go quickly to the Supreme Court. If they rule as Judge Jackson did, and I can't imagine that they would rule differently, it could impact a lot of the obstruction being carried out by the White House, by Pompeo, and by Barr. Not just people testifying, which they should have done already, but also the release of huge numbers of documents key to the impeachment inquiry. This could open the floodgates. The impeachment inquiry should continue until all the evidence and testimony is obtained. I think it would be crazy to send an impeachment case to the Senate for trial based on what they have now, with so much being illegally kept under lock and key.

If nothing wrong has been done, as Mr trump, his people, and his supporters keep saying, then releasing the documents and getting the testimony of the key players will reveal the innocence of everyone. The logic is perfect.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If you simply look at the facts we have today, any non-partisan, non-political-calculus, duty-bound vote would impeach and remove Trump. We do not need more evidence.

Waiting for more evidence doesn't do anything at all - the Senate will not remove Trump even if there is clear video evidence. It would simply be moving the goal post to 'so what, get over it'. I mean, we already have a version of that from the chief of staff. There is also a high risk of public testimony of Trump-friendly witnesses backfiring - imagine GOP house members questioning the witness to get the exact answer they want.

The job has been completed. You move on to impeachment and let the Senate does whatever it wants. In the meantime, the investigation continues in the House and I'm 90% sure there will be more damming evidence revealed. Putting on a political hat - the House controls the message of these continuing close-door investigations and thus, damming evidence can be released, under their timing to maximize the DEM position and the damages done to Trump and to all the folks that acquitted him or didn't vote for impeachment. It's a smart political move.

The DEM has done what is required of them as an equal branch, now they need to move on and play hard politic for 2020.

As a reminder... months ago virtually everyone was fearful that impeachment would be damaging to the DEM. We still need to wait for gold-standard polling to see where we are now, after the public phase of the House impeachment, but it's already amazing that we essentially moved about 15 points (or more) in favor of impeachment and that 70-75% of American said what Trump did is wrong. Now, the end game is in play to see where 2020 end up with but I think the DEM is in the position of strength here politically since they control the investigation, the facts are in their favor, and Trump is Trump.

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

They knew that they were on shaky ground to begin with all this is a stall tactics. They are buying time hoping this drags out as long as it can. Trump doesn’t care about the rule of law. He never did.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just curious... Where they similar to their anger levels 20 years ago, pre-Rove? Conservatives used to have an air of genteel civility that respected a general order

Wondering if people were always like that or did they slowly transform.

Some people are always distrustful and even militant to government, but that used to be the extremes and not morning show content discussed by a typical mishmash of blond hair and blue eyed taking heads.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You too! Heck...Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! ;-)

Maybe if we all took a break for a few days..and focused on family and what we are all thankful for...and not so much on what bothers us? Just a thought...carry on!

#1856 BigDog63, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  17. TheresTheDagger

Our family doesn't spend time together at holidays very often due to the fact we live in separate areas of the country. Nevertheless, we all know where each other stands and politics just doesn't come up in our conversations. We all are better off for it.

Don't get why everyone doesn't just follow this formula.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  18. TheresTheDagger

Undisputed facts:
    1. Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries on the planet.
    2. Burisma has it's own recent history of corruption.
    3. Hunter Biden (with zero oil and gas experience) worked for Burisma and made 50k a month but only during the time his father was VP.

I think @BigDog63 's assertion of corruption is a reasonable assumption.

19. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I'm sure most the anti-Trump people are on the payroll or were financially secured by the willingness of the
    people that support Trump, or the government that Trump is attempting to shrink.

People's ego gets in the way and they resent those that they're financially benefiting from or are envious of
    others. Belief in one's intelligence and then upset when the financial rewards are not commensurate is no way to live.

Better to just say thank you or do something yourself as resentment is no way to live.

Cheers!

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wut?