1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Fish Rots From the Head Down...McHale's Cluelessness Has Infected the Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pollaxt, Apr 28, 2014.

1. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Kevin McHale is clueless like Alicia Silverstone. It is known. He can't draw up plays beyond give it to Harden at the top of the key or give it to Dwight down in the post. He makes mind numbing stupid decisions with the rotations. He refuses to make changes beyond what Morey tells him to do. Lin has taken the clipboard from him and drawn up plays. McHale wouldn't know a zone defense from a hole in the ground. And the thought to tell his team to move without the ball in the 4th quarter when every play consisted of desperately trying to get the ball to Harden with the shot clock running down. Any brain cells that the coaching staff had left with Sampson and in turn McHale has made an art form out of looking dumbfounded.

And it seems the whole team has taken his lead by playing simply some of the dumbest basketball I've seen this team ever play, turning smart Ivy League educated players and veterans into complete amateurs. From Lin going full r****d 2 games in a row by trying to dribble away from everybody; to Harden dribbling before calling time out in Game 2 (to prevent the ball being advanced) to Dwight trying to do the same Game 3; to Beverley, who I thought I could count on to not turn the ball over, deciding to dribble through a brick wall with a chance to tie the game.

Right now, the Houston Rockets are a team of mental midgets and it is because they can see that the court jester is sitting on the throne. And the crazy thing is, despite how awful this team has played and how awful the coach is, the Rockets could have conceivably swept this series. When McHale is fired, and that will happen within a day of the Rockets being eliminate, I look forward to what this team can be with a true commander leading this team.

Hopefully this guy:

[​IMG]

Or this guy:

[​IMG]

Or maybe this guy:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. NickKent

NickKent Member

Agreed, but Calipari does it all on talent, give me Shaka from that list

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Jeff Van Gundy!!! I'm still fine with McHale as coach but he has done a poor job throughout this series. I have no objection to giving him another year with this squad

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Lol John Calipari would be terrible for this team. Not to mention he comes off as such a slimeball. I'd love to see him coach the NBA again though.

5. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Daniels is the only one who knows what to do out there, and that's probably because he hasn't spent enough time with McHale.

1 person likes this.
  6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He's so clueless that he told his team if portland misses and its not a clean fastbreak to call a timeout.

7. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I agree 100 percent.

The team just looks stupid out there.

No poise at all.

This is one of those situations where the coach HAS to get fired

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

When that second free throw was missed and everyone kind of stood there for too long not knowing what they should do before finally calling timeout the word 'unprepared' came to mind

9. FEAR THE BEARD

I just want to know why the hell they kept feeding Howard the ball in OT? GIVE IT TO HARDEN

10. perfectweapons

I couldn't agree more. He is completely lost out there. He couldn't even think to ask for replays from the refs? The last 3 minutes of overtime were crazy. They had no idea where to stand, what to do? He is just not a good leader, and really needs to be reassigned to a different position in the organization. I have watched basketball for 25 years and tonight was the most embarrassing coaching I have ever seen. I think Stan Van Gundy is a realistic coach we could get. He will demand defense and has the chops to guide this team better.

11. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Agreed. Coaching is definitely an issue in this series. Portland manages to get some good shots (either because the Rockets play defense with their hands down or have mental lapses at times or just get plain blown by), but the Rockets can't seem to execute down the stretch offensively. Going to DH in the post seems to work for a few possessions, but otherwise it's a lot of dribbling around and a tough tough bail out shot getting jacked up (harden hit a couple bc he's talented).

Mchale wants the first option to be fast break and to push the ball. The Rockets haven't been able to do that much this series. And past that...the offense isn't very pretty at times

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

All 3 of those guys have the same problem. That style of coaching only works in college. It's why Bobby Knight would never have lasted in the NBA. And why JVG only lasted because one of his two superstars was humble and the other he kissed his ass.

You got to treat NBA players like grown men even though many of the superstars don't act like it. You allow them to be primadonnas as long as they don't hurt the team.

13. JazzLakerHater

I will continue to say it, THE ROCKETS ARE A DUMB BASKETBALL TEAM. To me, their turnover issues and lot of their defensive issues stem from their low Bball IQ. That's why McHale has to be fired. It is just inexcusable for a team this talented to be this dumb. Watch teams like Dallas and San Antonio play and then compare that to how the Rockets play.

The only way this team can start playing smart basketball is if they get a coach who can build some sort structure to this team.

14. davidghall

davidghall Member

So if Calipari is terrible, what is McHale?

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

turrible

16. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

sloan is better than those

17. davidghall

davidghall Member

So you're saying you actually want him involved with this organization?

18. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I know this is going to be unpopular but I would be fine if we kept Mchale because i thinks he tells the players the truth, but it's how they go out there and execute that is the problem. With that said I would not mind JVG or Doc Rivers taking over for him.

19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Not calling timeouts when needed, not asking for reviews on questionable calls, not playing Daniels sooner when he already proved his case at the end of the regular season, not making adjustments in Games 1 and 2, the list goes on and on.....McHale has costed us this series with his bad decision-making from the very beginning. The fact that the Rockets can't close out games when they have been leading most of the series makes things even worse.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Why suggest Smart or Coach Cal? Dude! We only need a competent head coach to win a championship. Really, we'll have enough talent next year to win the whole thing and all we need is a decent coach. No more taking chances on unknown quantities. JVG is an acceptable option.