1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Final moves to complete roster....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Jul 19, 2007.

1. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

I thought we traded him because we wanted T-Mac, and he was the key player Orlando wanted in the deal, but I could be wrong :confused:

2. abundance

abundance Member

Don't be silly. They wanted Mo Taylor and Jim Jackson. We actually did trade Francis because he wouldn't pass to Yao.

3. drich

drich Member

why can't you see this happening look at what philly got back for iverson. when a team is ready to dump salary anything is possible plus they are in the east and we are in the west that is to our advantage, and also remember the rumor at the end of there series with lebron the rumor was detriot were looking to move him and that they were growing tired of the techs. that he was getting. so not exactly a pipe dream i can see him being traded before the year is over so why can't we be in the mix. they have young forwards there and they are talking about resinging webber. what about singing webber to vet min.

4. CowboyJeffR

CowboyJeffR Member

I remember Van Gundy saying (though I dont know if it was true or not) that he hated to trade Steve, but they had no choice when they could add T-Mac. I dont think Steve was traded because somebody didnt like him, I think he was only traded to get a better player.

5. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I like your thinking. Barnes is too good not to get if we can. Haslem for Rafer would be great, but I don't think Miami would go for it so I would take Foster for rafer straight up. Foster can play both pf and c in case Scola bombs or Deke is done. I think it would take at least Head, Sura + 1st rounder in S&T to land Barnes.

6. tharges

tharges Member

YOU MUST BE A RED HEAD :eek:

7. wazzupmane?

wazzupmane? Contributing Member

My final wish list would obviously be Camby, but I'd settle for Foster/Haslem and Matt Barnes.
    Final Roster would be:
    Steve/James/Brooks
    T-Mac/Wells/Head (Wells matchup problem for SG not forwards)
    Battier/Barnes-(the same player always could use a hustler on the floor)
    ? /Scola/Landry
    Yao/Butler/Dikembe

Traded or no use in gameplan would be JL3, Novak, Snyder, Hayes, Alston.

I know a lot of you would hate the idea of Francis and James at point, but I think the unselfish play of the other players will cover for their mistakes. Even if we don't make any of these moves I am still satisfied with what Morey has done. Cant wait till the season begins!!!!!!

8. tharges

tharges Member

I have heard that foster for head is on the table currently. But i would too love to have Camby. They could do it because Sura's contract will offer Denver salay cap relief. I don't believe deke comes back we have Butler now.

9. Navman

Navman Member

Get Foster. And before you reconsider, think of these 6 names: Duncan, Nowitzki, Garnett, Stoudemire, Boozer, Brand. Now whose going to stop them?

Imagine how energized it would make Yao for him NOT to guard the best opposing big man and save his effort purely as a playmaker/closer for the game. I'm seeing a lot of W's. :cool:

10. Navman

Navman Member

We do this already for T-Mac with Shane. Why not find a lockdown defender and fierce rebounder beside Yao? Foster fits the bill perfectly.

11. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

wht bout mike harris
    :confused:

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with you that we need a defensive stopper and rebounder to help Yao out,but why do you think Foster can slow the strong and fast PF's in the league? I like his height and rebounding but he lacks speed IMO.

13. Navman

Navman Member

Actually he has decent speed and lateral quickness for a man his size. He will do fine against Dirk, Duncan, or Garnett. Against Amare, Boozer, and Brand? :confused: Strength will certainly be an issue.

14. pillage

pillage Member

15. pillage

pillage Member

Some of the posts on this thread are hilarious...

We traded Francis away because he didn't pass to Yao - I guess getting T-Mac had nothing to do with it...

We're going to get Rasheed? uhh, :rolleyes:

We're going to get Camby? So you want to get a $9 mil injury risk, and get over the luxury tax, brilliant. Have you heard of money ball? If you can suggest a trade where the salaries are even then I'll give you a little more credit. Until then...

Even Haslem is a little unrealistic, don't get me wrong, he would be a great addition for the Rockets. Does all the dirty work, great hustle, not terrible at offense. I just don't see it happening though.

Foster I think is our best bet. He fits into the money ball theory. Getting good talent at a reasonable price which fits the team. Like its been said countless time, the Rockets need a bruising PF that'll go after rebounds. Unless its an open poinit blank putback, all he has to do is pass the ball back out to Steve, T-Mac, MJ, Bonzi, Head, Yao - anybody. It doesn't matter. Do y'all remember the last minute of game seven against the Jazz?

I'm for trading the excess players, the JL3's of the world, who have no shot of making the roster for 2nd round picks.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

You are correct in your facts that is what went down but the need to move Francis was because of his limitations, which became increasingly evident once Yao Ming was selected.
    Francis even campaigned for the Rockets NOT to select Yao Ming in the draft!
    Let us forget all this stuff and give him a chance to be a mature player and make his best contributuon to our Rockets Team! :p

17. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

If we can pick up Foster its gonna be huge. Look at the current roster we have, we are still pretty thin at PF position. Scola has good offensive skill set but whether he can hold his own against NBA players and get those rebounds he should get is still a question mark. Rebound was the no 1 reason we lost to Utah. Foster, even he has already passed his prime, can definitely help us in that area.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The way I see it the following players are possibly vunerable to be traded etc.
    J Butler, L Head, J Reed, J,Lucas, K, Snyder, B Surra [Contract]
    Alston only if we are making a trade for a significant player.
    On the roster there is room for Alston and one other player! :p

19. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

this is another trade is see working and helping us ....

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Luther Head
    6-3 PG from Illinois
    10.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.4 apg in 27.6 minutes
    Kirk Snyder
    6-6 SG from Nevada-Reno
    4.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.0 apg in 14.4 minutes
    Bob Sura
    6-5 from Florida State
    No games yet played in 2006/07
    Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes
    Incoming
    Tony Battie
    6-11 C from Texas Tech
    6.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 23.9 minutes
    Hedo Turkoglu
    6-8 SF from Turkey (Foreign)
    13.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 31.0 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -9.7 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and -5.1 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Tony Battie
    6-11 C from Texas Tech
    6.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 23.9 minutes
    Hedo Turkoglu
    6-8 SF from Turkey (Foreign)
    13.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 31.0 minutes
    Incoming
    Luther Head
    6-3 PG from Illinois
    10.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.4 apg in 27.6 minutes
    Kirk Snyder
    6-6 SG from Nevada-Reno
    4.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.0 apg in 14.4 minutes
    Bob Sura
    6-5 from Florida State
    No games yet played in 2006/07
    Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +9.7 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and +5.1 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Houston being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

we get Battie to back up at the 4/5
    and Turkoglu to back up the 2/3 spots and he knows Coach A's system

Orland does it cause synder and sura come off the books next season and alston is a good point for howard and lewis and head can spread the floor

our new lineup

Ming/Butler/Mutombo
    Scola/Battie/Hayes/Reed (IR)
    Battier/Turkoglu/Novak (IR)
    Mcgrady/Wells
    Francis/James/Brooks

20. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

It is better to have Tmac at the 3. Tmac gets really tired chasing around shooting guards. Plus Tmac is tall enough (plus his jumps are sweet) that taller Small Forward wouldn't bother him. Plus, Tmac can outrun most SF in the league. So, yeah, I'd say mostly Tmac will stay at the 3, with Battier backing him up. But sometimes Tmac will slide down to 2 with Battier on 3 when they need to play big.