1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The final D-Mo preseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Oct 26, 2013.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

D-Mo was on pace for 18 points and 10 rebounds in the preseason. He's clearly already a starting caliber power forward on offense and the boards in my opinion.

His main problems right now are that he's not a good three point shooter in game, and he's a bad defender.

I would seriously consider just telling him not to shoot the three, and maybe start working with him on that Luis Scola 18 footer in practice. That may be more his range.

If he doesn't get rotation minutes on this team, it will be because he got outplayed by Casspi or Jones (which would be a great sign since D-Mo is already good enough to come off the bench 20 mins a game) and/or because he's just not as good of a fit as they are.

I like DMo though. I think he has at least a solid NBA future, and the potential to eventually become a late blooming all star if he works hard at it.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe he was referring to DMo post game and outside of Randolph, Duncan, Aldridge and Gasol - Dmo has a better post game than all the rest of them on your list.

DD

3. bmd

bmd Member

D-Mo has some nice moves around the basket and he hustles. That's about it.

Yeah, he's really tall... but he doesn't play up to his height. Charles Barkley was only 6'6", but he played like he was 7 feet. D-Mo plays small.

He's not a great rebounder... and he's 7 feet tall. See above.

He's not a great shooter. He can hit the 3 sometimes... but he's gotta get better at it.

Yeah, he's fast, he's decently quick, yadda yadda. That doesn't matter if he isn't using any of that to his advantage.

The thing he is best at, in my opinion, is scoring around the basket. But on this team, he's never going to be fed the ball down low, so it's a waste.

D-Mo is soft... and if he's going to make it in the NBA, he needs to work on his 3 point shot constantly to become a threat from the outside, because he doesn't put the "power" in power forward. He can't hang doing the dirty work.

He has good physical tools, but he has to use them to his advantage instead of playing like he's 6'6".

4. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Aside from his post-game, Dmo plays best when him and Lin work the pick-n-roll.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

bmd, why do you say he's not a great rebounder? He was sure rebounding well in the preseason. 5 rebounds in 17.6 minutes is a very good rebounding rate for a power forward.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Just look at the post moves in that video. When was the last time you saw a NBA player (much less a rookie) with that speed and number of post moves? How many players in the NBA today leave defenders with their pants down around their ankles like D-Mo?

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not many post players left - even with Hakeem teaching everyone and their grandmother these days.

If used correctly it can be a huge advantage...

DD

8. bmd

bmd Member

1. It's preseason

2. He was playing against scrubs half the time.

He's 7 feet tall and he's athletic... he should be dominating the glass.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It takes bigs longer to develop, especially guys from other countries - look at Yao he didn't dominate the glass and he was huge !

The Rox told Dmo to work on his rebounding and he goes and leads the Euroleague in that category setting a record I believe for a single game rebound total.

Now, he plays with Dwight and or Asik who are elite rebounders already - so he plays the role he is given, the scoring big.

Could he get better at D - HECK YES, he better be working on it, but he is already good enough on offense with consitent playing time to help out.

Right now though, he was beaten out by Casspi, who is a little like Parsons in that he does everything pretty well.....

I don't see Dmo or Jones getting any consistent minutes unless/when Asik is traded - and even then if it is not for another PF.

DD

10. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I'd like to keep this quote for reference later on. People say the silliest things, and especially about unpolished 22 year olds. Of course he'll get better, if not much better. Thanks Jontro!!

11. bmd

bmd Member

And to be fair, I think D-Mo has the potential to be a good player.

He's shown he has a post game. He's shown he can shoot. He can dribble to the basket. He moves very well for a 7 footer.

He just has to become more consistent and put it all together.

He needs to play much better defense and grab some more boards. He needs to get more physical. Push people around, box them out, go up strong. I often times see him go to lay the ball up off of one foot inside like a guard would do when driving to the basket. He's 7 feet tall... he's got to go in off two feet with two hands on the ball and go up strong.

Europeans play a soft style of basketball for some reason. He has gained some good skills for a big man from playing like a guard for much of his life, but in the NBA he's got to be willing to get dirty.

He has all of the tools, he's just got to use them the right way.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

"He's 7 feet tall and he's athletic... " Right there is the main reason to keep and develop D-Mo. And to be terribly optimistic about his future. You have said it best.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I believe you completely missed the irony of Jontro's post.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I agree with that. He has a lot of upside IF he develops.

Some guys just don't develop like you think they should. They just max out and never really improve all that much.

If he doesn't show much improvement this year, I'd be concerned.

15. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think the reason why everyone is either high or low on D-Mo at the moment is because he has the making to be very special. He is a legit 7 footer that has 3 point range and a very solid low post game. Yet, for every good play he has, he seems to have two or three plays that you go "WTF D-Mo?!". Right now, its hard to tell if he has the mental capabilities that would separate the average players from the great players because its obvious he has the physical tools to be a great, great player. The past few games he has been better but I still think the game is too fast for him. And right now, the Rockets do not want to put a raw player like D-Mo with a championship on the line. I think he will spend the majority of this year in the DLeague so he can continue to learn and mature. If he can one day become the player the Rockets think he can become then the Rockets will have a dynasty in the making.

16. bmd

bmd Member

Good point. He does make a lot of stupid mistakes, but I give him somewhat of a pass for those considering it was his first year.

He may also be a little unsure about what exactly his role is on the team. What exactly is he expected to do. What kind of player is it his job to be.

He may not have been completely on the same page with what his role was, and that could cause him to do things he had no business doing. But that's just me speculating. I have no idea.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Perfectly said. I view his future as the backup center for Howard. With Asik traded for serious talent. I have watched and re-watched the preseasons games and his defense is markedly better than last season. And he is not hitting the floor unless he is on the receiving end of a flagrant 2 (he got up from that hay maker and hit his free throw - how can anyone seeing that play view him as soft?). In three years he could be an expensive free agent talent that I may hope the Rockets keep around.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

thats not the only sticking point. You need sand in your pants. Dmo does not have enough sand in his pants yet.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

He is running at 40+ pounds this season. I have not seen him pushed around except by Hibbert. And that man is big enough to push around a mountain.

[​IMG]

20. bmd

bmd Member

I don't mean he's soft in that he's a wuss.

I mean he's soft in his style of play.