1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The fickleness of basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crazyguypete, Dec 16, 2005.

1. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

I'm sure this is obvious and its been discussed in a many threads but I have not noticed a thread entirely devoted to this so I'll make one. (Delete if necessary). Is anyone out there sick and tired of all these commentators and fans/haters that flip flop on their opinions of basketball teams namely our beloved Rockets? At the start of the season, everyone was discussing how bad the Rockets are and that we should tank the season or that we would be lucky to make the playoffs. Now all we hear is that Houston is going to make the playoffs and is developing an identity blah blah blah. I am sooo sick and tired of people flip flopping on their opinions of a team. Where are the balls in people these days? Make your opinion and stick with it.

In my opinion this is a team of character and thats why I think ultimately we'll do very well. JVG as a coach may not be the greatest coach in the world but he is very respectful to his players and has been a great judge of character (name one player on our team that is of poor character).

2. daRox

daRox Member

flip flop huh? haven't heard that in....months. I wonder when Webster's going to pick it up....

3. sbyang

sbyang Member

Ehh what makes you think it's just basketball??

The Colts are the Greatest team ever!!!

The Chicago Bears defense is like the 85 bears!

The Chicago White Sox have the greates pitching staff ever.

These are all things i've heard in the last 2 weeks from media and 'analysts'.

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yup, it's fun watching the Barkleys and the Greg Anthonys and the other guys who were saying Houston is going to be on the "outside looking in" -- as far as playoffs are concerned -- all of a sudden start singing a different tune.

That's just how it is, the TV world (generally speaking) has become nothing short of a joke and a waste of time, and the bottom line is the only thing those networks and their talking heads are concerned about are ratings and trying their best to make a 'prediction', so when they inevitably get one right, they can jump around like monkeys and claim to be prophetic.

Gotta love what ESPN has done for sports though, huh? :rolleyes:

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

NOt to mention the "sky is falling" threads on this board and half the people were on suicide watch :D

I guess those (like me) who said, give it time to gel and learn the chemistry and wait for T-mac to come back healthy and everything will be FINE were right.

6. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

I know what you mean my friend. THier are a few " so called " Rocket fans on the espn Rockets forum I post on also and they are not Rocket fans cause all they do is BASH BASH BASH. Win or lose the Rockets are my team and thats that. However I don't see Houston losing that much the remainder of the season cause we are getting better and that Swagger we had last season is returning. Tmac has it and Yao has it and the role players are following thier lead. % wins in a row with more coming today and tomorrow I truely believe. Go Rockets!!!

7. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

it's true. but wait till we lose couple in a row. fire jvg threads will be back in full force. :)

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

One guy I've noticed who really sticks to his opinion about a team is Ernie Johnson of the TNT broadcasting crew. I don't know if it's just me, but the past couple of years he always seemed to defend the Rockets, and Yao as an individual as well. He really is my favorite personality of anyone associated with broadcasting NBA basketball these days, although I like Doug Collins as well. He sounds like the kind of guy I would really love to play for.

But yeah, Ernie Johnson doesn't seem to be so fickle.