1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Eyes of Texas Problem

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by don grahamleone, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Jesus Christ - just stop playing the song and call it a day.

I have fond memories of that song at my time at the school, but if the song hurts other students, then just move on from it. There are more ways people can spend their energy on that is more practical and productive in making the world a better place.

2. Buck Turgidson

I cancel your canceling?

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Since when is getting paid for nothing the topic?

How is that the point when talking about a fight song?

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present some dude who has never had a conversation with a college athlete. They are not getting the same kind of education that I got. They are usually put in the easiest and most useless majors and given special treatment in class. There are exceptions certainly but those exceptions are usually not starting.

Also, it's really stupid to say they are getting "paid" an education. I know what you mean to say but that's a really dumb way of articulating it. They aren't being paid ****. They are getting fees waived.

Rudyc281 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes there will be consequences the players will go play somewhere else and Texas will suck even more than they have the previous 5 years.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. raining threes

He was talking about suppressing minority athletes. I was pointing out the value of a UT education. They are well paid.

Bottom line for me is if you're an athlete who has a problem with the song then don't come to UT. Really simple and makes me question why Stearns came to UT if he had a problem with the song.

7. raining threes

My roommate in college was a basketball player at a small school. Also my friend and golfing partner who happens be a minority used to play for the Chiefs years ago.

#127 raining threes, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  8. raining threes

I'm betting not and if it means giving up principles then I'm fine with sucking. For most athletes it's not an issue, look at the recruiting class Sark is bringing in. Frankly Herman recruiting guys like Stearns who don't live up to their recruiting billing and worry more about crap like this than their performance on the field was one of the biggest issues with not having a winning program. Would you say Stearns played hard last year? I wouldn't, he looked like a guy that was trying not to get injured before he turned pro. It says something that his best year was his freshman year.

I would rather not have a athletic program than bow down to the cancel culture you seem to be embracing.

#128 raining threes, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  9. Brando2101

Your roommate at UT was a basketball player at a different college?

Major and jiggyfly like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Maybe because he liked everything else but the song?

It's hilarious that this song means that much to you.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think alienating the top black players when they have 3 other in state programs just as good will not be detrimental to the program?

You would be sick if UT turned into SMU football wise or Tulane wise and you know it.

I don't like Cancel Culture either but you choosing a song over a top 5 program is bonkers.

12. Major

Major Member

You realize getting rid of the athletic program to protest removing a song would be the ultimate example of the cancel culture you despise, right? You just want to cancel the right to silently protest instead. As one of the players noted, nowhere in their scholarship terms is singing a song a requirement.

mtbrays, jiggyfly and Brando2101 like this.
  13. raining threes

Different college

My younger brother is a UT graduate

14. raining threes

You aren't very good at debating if this is the best you can do.

The cancel culture is hilarious.

15. raining threes

So you just dont recruit guys who dont respect the school traditions and the players that stood for those traditions before them.

16. Brando2101

so you didn’t even go to UT???? See this has nothing to do with tradition since it’s not even your tradition. This is just about white people feeling their whiteness threatened.

Go post about your own school.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. raining threes

My family wasn't in a posiion to pu me through UT.

But they were in a position to put my little brother through UT.

Something that an elitist like you probably cant understand. Funny thing is I'm currently making twice as much as my brother with the UT education and two sisters combined. Not that I put much stock in that kind of stuff, because we're all going to end up sleeping in the same place one day. (Thanks Billy Joel) Carry on.

18. Brando2101

Wow how funny. I bet that brings down the house when you bring it up with your family. I bet they never stop laughing. No one cares about how much you make. No one cares that you want a program you have no connection to get rid of all of their players to prove a racist point. Move on.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not debating, there is nothing to debate here.

Your take on this is ridiculous, you actually asked why would someone attend a University if they did not like the fight song, like that is at the top of kids list when picking a university.

Brando2101 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Its hilarious that you did not even attend the school but you want them to gut the football program over a song.

Should they never have stopped the tradition of not allowing black players or black students?

Or women to not being allowed in school?

Brando2101 likes this.