1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Endless Rotation Experiment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Jan 22, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What star forwards were you dreaming of? Please do tell because now we go from you listing out a bunch of vet minimum players to Morey can't get star forwards. I really want to know what star forward would could have realistically signed if it weren't for the Chris Paul trade.

#21 steddinotayto, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    YOLO likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

And if we had 4 All-Stars in 2016, I'm betting we'd still have them. Unless you think keeping Dwight would have been a great move because it might have provided stability. :D

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

It frustrates me when fans try to use the Warriors as a comparison model.

"Look at the Warriors! They have 4 All-Stars! They are able to keep their players!"

Well no ****. They got ridiculously LUCKY in the draft and got ridiculously LUCKY in free agency.

If people want to put the blame on someone, maybe put some blame on the guy that pocketed billons of dollars after he sold this team because he was the guy that didn't want Morey to tank which kept us on the mediocrity treadmill. Though that might be hard for some because they hopped on the bandwagon and weren't around at the time.

topfive likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I listed a bunch of vet minimum players because that is all Morey has gotten us since 2016, except for Chris Paul. He isn't a forward though, and we already had a star guard. All the big guys turned us down, LMAO. So, either Morey is doing something wrong or nobody wants to share the spotlight with James. We couldn't land Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan, or LeBron James. Now we are paying Chris Paul more than all of them so we will not be able to land a big money forward. Go figure. Maybe a trade can work, but I doubt anyone would give us a superstar forward for Paul, so back to shuffle the minimum vet players and fingers crossed Paul stays healthy.....LOL. If you still think Paul is the answer I give up.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He brought up the stupid Warriors, so I expanded on his stupid remark. I wasn't comparing us to any particular team. I just feel James needs more help and they blew it with stupid signings like Anderson, and so on. You can think what you want, and spurt your ridiculous defense of Morey and act like he is great all you want. I don't buy it for a minute. I have no idea what bandwagon you hopped on but I have been a Rockets fan since before Hakeem was a rookie. I was at U of H when he and Carl Lewis were there.

6. steddinotayto

You didn't answer my question though: which star forward was available for us to realistically sign had we not trade for Paul?

Which players did we have actual meetings with over the past two summers that 1. equate to a "star" and 2. turned us down? I think that would help me understand how 1. Morey is doing somethign wrong or 2. nobody wants to share the spotlight with James. Or maybe... just maybe...here's something to think about...the Rockets never had cap space to begin with to lure free agents out right?

If you want to live in a reality where cap space is nonexistent and 29 other teams aren't competing for the same set of free agents every Summer then more power to you.

You blame Morey for pretty much everything within this thread:

1. Signing only veteran minimum players
    2. Missing out on "star forwards" that were supposedly available for the taking without any salary cap considerations or the reality that other teams might have cap room to sign the same set of players

No one is denying that Harden needs help. No one is denying that one of Morey's biggest sins was the Anderson signing. No one is disputing that Paul's contract puts this team in a bind for the next few years. But did you, for one microscopic minute, consider that it was Morey who:

1. Traded for Harden and Paul
    2. Signed Ariza, Gordon, and Tucker
    3. Drafted Clint Capela
    4. Brought in Mike D'Antoni

Before you decided to make an argument against Morey using VETERAN MINIMUM players he's signed as the soapbox to stand on?

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. bongman

bongman Member

Morey does not have to do anything for you. The level of arrogance that people think that somebody owes them something is incredible.

YOLO likes this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wonder if you were predicting all doom and gloom after we were up 3-2 in the WCF over the greatest team of all time.

On the back of the greatest regular season this franchise had ever witnessed.

No? Oh. Just another hindsight genius. Cool bro, cool.

D-rock, dmoneybangbang and YOLO like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Why Morey doesn't make AD demand a trade?

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

This is what it looks like to NOT tank for years. Then you got injuries. How do you rather do it?

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Hmmm, CP3 was instrumental in getting us that far in last year’s playoffs... so you think he’s hot garbage and someone’s like AD and his leadership could get us that far? HES got talent but ain’t got that killer instinct or mindset the likes of CP3 and harden have. Fact is, a CP3 wants to play and lead your small market team, then you gotta pay for that.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure all rockets fans and GMs would trade everyone but harden for AD. Those two and just line up 3 anybodies. Chip city.