1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The end of Jay Williams

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YF?slug=ap-nets-jaywilliams&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jay Williams cut by Nets

October 22, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Jay Williams, attempting to make the New Jersey Nets roster three years after recovering from a serious motorcycle accident, was cut by the team on Sunday.

Williams averaged 3.8 points and 13.2 minutes in five preseason games after signing with the Nets last month.

The No. 2 overall pick by the Chicago Bulls in the 2002 draft averaged 9.5 points and 4.7 assists before he crashed his motorcycle into a light pole and sustained a broken pelvis, torn knee ligaments and nerve damage in his left leg.

He was hospitalized for three months.

Williams, a former national player of the year at Duke, signed a non-guaranteed contract with the Nets.

2. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

awwwwwwwww :(

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

-- mandatory "hey why don't we sign him after all it couldn't hurt" sentiment --

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yup. A bunch of folks wanted the Rockets to sign Jay Williams last summer. He wasn't that good before he got hurt.

For that matter, some wanted us to draft him instead of Yao because he was the "safer" choice.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I don't feel that bad for the guy. Seems like a nice guy, but what a moronic move to put urself in that position.

Ur body is a mulimillion dollar machine and ur going to put it in that much danger is dumb.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He wouldve been a pretty good nba player. The problem with him is that his game relied heavily on his quickness which is the first thing to go when you get into an accident like that.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He should join a NBA DL team.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

He should just go join the Euro league

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not this year, we already got our european that everyone wants, unfortunately for willaims he plays point guard

10. Caboose

Caboose Member

I think he'll eventually find a team to sign him. I don't know if that will happen this year. If not he should just play in the NBADL for one season.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He wasn't great his rookie year, but by the end he was showing some real improvement. Yao only avg 13.5 points that year. I think he would have been 18 5 5 kind of guy if he hadn't got in an accident.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree. I dont think he'll ever be a star but I think he will find a place to play eventually in the nba.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In 75 games during the 02/03 season, he averaged 9.5 ppg, 4.7 apg, 2.6 rpg and shot exactly 40% from the field. He wasn't doing well and did not take responsibility for his poor play. He didn't get along with his coach or teammates. He was supposed to be this "high character" guy but he really wasn't. I'm not trying to jump on a guy while he's down, but it was clear to some his potential was limited. He would have been lucky to be average, IMO. He peaked out his last year in college and for some reason his game didn't translate to the next level. That happens sometimes and his attitude and "character" may have had a lot to do with it.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Let this be a lesson for everyone.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its not surprising that they cut him. to his credit he worked hard to get to where he is from his accident. i saw him on the training camp thing on nba tv and one leg is still noticeable bigger than the other. it will hinder him for the rest of his life on the court. unfortunately with the drafting of marcus williams it was a no brainer for the nets

gl to him but i dont think it will ever work out again

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

poor guy. im glad the bulls took care of him and gave him money. thats a great organization...

17. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Jay Williams seemed like a good guy from what everyone said about him.

Props to him for making it back to the point that he is on the edge of making the NBA once again. To be in the NBA, an athlete has to be one of the best in the world!

Jay Williams got to the level he was at with his natural ability. His talent to play the game was going to differentiate his play from his peers.

Now his natural ability (speed) is gone. His talent is still good, but he just came down to the competition of hundreds of guys who are looking to make the NBA.

18. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Bear with me for derailing this thread a bit...

Penny Hardaway determined to come back this season, did he end up signing with any team in the league?

And lesson learned from Jay Williams' story...

Prohibited high risk activities should be listed in the player's hand book, including motorcycle ride, carrying firearms, wenching etc.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly what I was thinking.....and I was saying the Rocks should take a look and send him to their D-league team.

DD

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im man enough to admit that i was one of those. im sure glad i dont make the decisions!