1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dream Ends....in Toronto?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by I h8 Logos, Sep 14, 2002.

?

Will Hakeem retire?

1. Yeah, he's done

58 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. Nah, he'll be back next year...as a Raptor

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. No way!!! Toronto will waive him and he'll be a Rocket again!

19 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. I could care less, it's Ming time baby!!!!

48 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The Dream won't retire -- not when he has two more years of several million each year. He's not stupid or greedy -- its just business and the Raptors willingly made the deal.

Toronto, on the other hand, may waive him and continue to pay him like we do Matt Maloney. I completely forgot about 10-day contracts (thanks I h8 Logos) which would not hurt the Rockets' cap at all.

If that happens, the best of all worlds blossoms. Dream retires as a Rocket; we have the benefit of getting Boki and a second rounder next year for him; we don't hurt our cap room; we don't give anything back for him; and Toronto is in a weaker position to bid for free agents. How sweet it is!

2. Tha Jay

Tha Jay Member

Yeah, I think he is done. I hope so. Seeing him in that Toronto uniform did not look normal. Also, its been terrible seeing him struggle to stay healthy the last couple of seasons. Being one of the greatest NBA centers of all time, you hate to see him hang on long after his prime.

Hopefully, he will come home (Houston) and be part of the Houston Rockets organization in some capacity (front office or coaching). That would only be right.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I voted "he'll be back as a raptor," because I got tickets to the home opener and I want to see him and Ming! :D

Ok, I know he probably wouldn't get much PT, but it would be nice to say that I was there.

With the physical news, this isn't good. But if he can't take it anymore, I'll be happy to know he's no longer a Raptor backup or 3rd string C. It would be nice to see him back in Houston, but as a kind of coach. Only bad thing is that I've heard he doesn't mentor players. But I can't give up hope, right? :D

4. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

#24 I h8 Logos, Sep 14, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2002
  5. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

It's Ming time baby!:D

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For those superstars who want to sign a short contract and retire with their old teams is just a bunch of hypocricy crap, IMO. If they have such a strong romantic feeling about their old teams, why did they walk out on them in the first place?

I admit that there are exceptions where the player is forced out by his idiotic management. But in most cases, it is the player who can't accept the cruel fact of aging and throw the whole "loyalty" crap out of the window.

If you want to treat pro basketball as a business, then treat it as a business. The moment you went out of that door, you were no longer a Rocket. Bye bye. You don't care. We don't care.

If you want to treat it as something warm and fuzzy. . . well, he didn't.

I love Hakeem. But he is not God. He doesn't command my absolute devotion. He has his character flaws just as each one of us here does.:(

7. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

You guys are idiots if you think Hakeem is coming and having some kind of position with the Rockets. I bet none of you know that he is building a Mosque (Muslim place of worship for the uneducated) in Jordan and he is going to live their. Also, as much as I love Hakeem for winning us a Championship, his character is not good. He has always been greedy and has always complained when he doesn't get his way. As much as you guys bash Francis, Hakeem was 10 times worse because he actually went publically with his protest. I love Hakeem as a player, but not as a person.

8. thumbs

I can understand your chagrin that Hakeem left the Rockets for any reason. However, sometimes surrendering to reality isn't Easy.

In your way of thinking, Hakeem is like a spouse that left and wants to come back but you're already remarried. Things can't be undone, but there is a certain residual bond.

In this case, I hope you will allow a little legal bigamy for 10 days for the sake of the children.:D

I won't criticize or even deny your case for hypocrisy. But forgive his fear of growing old and his last gasp of denial. None of us like aging past a certain point. But it happens.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's a thought!:D

10. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

Wait a minute, isn't he a prophet?!?

11. thumbs

It wouldn't be in character for Hakeem the businessman to move to Jordan. He may build a mosque there, but he will live in his mosque-ette that he built here in Houston. He has restaurant, real estate and other business assets to run here. Besides, he knows he is likely to get shot in the Mideast.:cool:

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hakeem--bball
    Kirk Gibson--baseball
    Joe Montana--Notre Dame football (is there any other kind of football) ... the final comeback kid show against UofH
    and
    Bjorn Borg and Franz Klamer--individual sports

gave me my greatest sports moments ever. I will never forget.

nuff said.

13. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

for the benefit of others in this post, when did Franz Klamer win anything?!?!

14. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

It may have been before your time but old Franz had the single greatest downhill run in any Olympics.

Man....just gives me chills thinking about it.:) :)

15. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

if ewings done, hakeem mite be also:(