1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Difference Between Wafer and Head

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ikorose, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Wafer's game against ATL is the reason we bash Head.

Wafer shot 1/9 last night, Head 1/8 the night before. One of them had a good game.

But Wafer was making things happen. Defense, rebounds, and taking it to the rim aggressively. Even going 1/9 he was a positive influence on the court.

Head meanwhile went 1/8 against Memphis and did nothing positive. Bad shots, dumb decisions, piss poor passing and shaky dribbling. As soon as he came in for Wafer during our comeback everything went downhill from there. IMO that was a boneheaded coaching decision that killed our momentum.

We must do whatever it takes to keep Head on the bench. I pray that at least Barry could return soon and T-Mac's knee improves to keep it that way. Wafer has been a diamond for this team and I hope he stays. With Wafer coming along and being better than Head at everything(plus bigger) we have no use for Head.

Morey needs to find the best possible deal for Head quickly before the knee-jerk effect from the Spurs game wears off. He says GM's are calling about him, but I haven't heard any rumored proposals.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

amen. another thing i saw was when atlanta tried a full court press, wafer easily dribbled up the court and quickly got across the half court line. i've never seen head handle the press as well, and he's had so many more chances to figure out how to deal with it than wafer.

3. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Head has no self confidence now. What surprised me is he had ONE good game (but only one).

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Remember that Chronicle article about Head a couple of years ago where he said he wasn't going to be a one-dimensional player? Dude just needs to work on his shot, work on his shot, and work on his shot...and try not to do anything else on the court with the basketball. Catch and shoot. Catch and drive layups every once in while if the D way overplays it. Catch and pass.

Never catch and hold. Never catch and dribble around. If Head doesn't accept his limitations and keep forcing himself to do things he's bad at, then he'll be out of the League after his contract is up.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I was going to post this exact type of thread, astute observation my good man.

Wafer brings a lot more to the table than Luther....if Luther is hitting his 3 ball he is servicable, if not, he is garbage.

If Von is missing his 3 ball he can drive and attack the basket. Look how easily he gets into the lane with all the attention Yao gets.

I wish other players would do the same.

DD

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Wafer brings energy, intensity and excitement, everything this Houston Rockets team seriously lack.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's the problem when you have 1 dimensional guys like Head ,Shane, and Barry. When they're not hitting their shots, they don't or won't take it to the basket. I especially look at a guy like shane who in memphis actually had a pretty good mid range shot, now he just shoots 3's. A guy like shane has a place on this team to be more forceful offensively. I think that what the rox thought they were getting. A guy who could defend,pass,and score along with the intagibles. He's 6'8 and long for his size, he's a ok athelete, but for some reason he doesn't run the lane on the break nor take his man off the dribble eventhough the guy closes out not under control at him on the 3pt line. Back to Wafer, that's great and it shows that even when not shooting well, get to the rack.

8. MYM[Moon

MYM[Moon Member

well, one year Wafer = 4 year Head ! Wafer can't be worse, at least!

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They should have traded Head right after that 21-point game. :D

I must admit, I didn't think Wafer could amount to anything. But he surprised me. What a pleasant surprise! He is definitely better than Head at this point.

10. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

The only thing is can we keep him after this season? We've already determined that he's better than Head. It would have been nice to lock him up with a 2yr minimum with the 2nd yr team option but hey in Morey I trust.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think they will....if he continues to play well....but some team might come offer him a ridiculous contract....

He is Kelena Azubuike like in his story....played in the D league, came out too early from college but worked at it and finally made it.

DD

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Ok that is how I see that :

* Luther Head is obviously a better shooter. I am not saying Wafer cannot shoot, because he can do it very well, but Luther is better

* Luther is a better cutter to the basket

* Von Wafer is quicker

* When Luther is hitting his shots he is phenomenal, but when he can't make them (like in his last game) his game is pretty much useless. And that is a big difference. If Wafer does't make long shots (last night) he can attack the basket every time, get to the line or pass.

* Wafer is a better defender

* Wafer passes and dribbles the ball better. He can create his own shot off the dribble and he can really attack the rim and finish above it.

* At least Wafer brings ENERGY and EFFORT to the game. He likes to run.

* Even if Luther is not feeling it, he will still continue to shoot and shoot. If Wafer is kinda off from the outside he can change his game and put the ball on the floor.

Wafer is just better. I like his game against Hawks. I know he was 1/8 but damn I like it.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but were the Rockets struggling and then went on a 22-2 run right after Wafer got subbed out?

Seems like the Rockets were a net positive when he's off the court and negative when he's on the court last night. He looked good swatting Mo Evans and stuff... but positive influence? No on a overall level last night.

Von is a decent find, but lets not overblow it.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Morey just talked about how well he played last night on 610 even though he shot 1-9....

DD

15. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

We have Wafer, his is full of passion. Now we can quit Head, Luther Head is useless..

16. dookiester

dookiester Member

its debatable that luther is a better shooter, given that they're both streak shooters and both can get hot. i like wafer's form a hell of a lot better than luther 'i start my shot from behind the arc end land 5 feet inside' head.

luther is a better cutter but what's the point since he can't finish in traffic.

and when luther is hitting his shots, he's good. calling him phenomenal is giving him too much credit.

luther on fire > wafer cold.
    wafer cold > luther cold.
    wafer on fire > luther on fire.

ill take my chances with wafer.

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Umm, the difference between Wafer and head....one is a NBA player, the other is not. Yep that is the difference. Honestly I could do what Head does...I'm deadly if you leave me open, but I can't handle the ball if pressured, but if you sign me to the NBA minimum I promise I won't turn the ball over :rolleyes: .....figure out which is which, hint Wafer is the actual NBA baller.

18. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Yea he's decent as a player but brings everything we need from a backup 2 guard: athleticism, height, average defender, can penetrate and shoot.

19. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Funny how you didn't bold the sentence that was describing the positives he was doing on the court despite the poor shooting.

20. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Actually that's what I was thinking of, I hate that we had him in training camp a few yrs ago but let him go. He's much better than Wafer IMO.