1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dennis Schroder Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 10, 2022.

?

The DS experience

1. Take off

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. crash landing

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. conquistador#11

What about our boy Nix? He'd be a top 5 pick if the G league had a covid shutdown!
    He needs to play. Ok maybe not top 5 since people hate on those with a little extra lbs. Bad posture!

fckbandwagons likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

the Theis signing and Dipo extension offer were bad enough, and the Nwaba deal I just never understood too

Why? And who did Stone think he was competing against for the likes of a player like Nwaba?

Nwaba heading into the meeting with Stone: Man, I really hope I can get a guaranteed vet min for next year

Stone: Hey Nwaba, How are u? Please, sit down. Let’s just make a long conversation short. I’d like to offer u a 3/15 deal

Nwaba: :eek: WOAH, HOLY SH*T! ARE U SERIOUS?!? U MUST BE HIGH!!

Stone: Sorry, what was that?

Nwaba: *clears throat* I mean, thank u very much sir. I had similar offers from other teams, but Houston is where I want to be.

D-rock, jiggyfly and topfive like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I always took the Nwaba deal as a deal meant to give the Rockets a $5M contract for the purposes of salary matching if needed. Good money for just being a body.

HTown_TMac likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

gives Stone way too much credit after he offered Dipo an extension and gave Theis a 4 year deal with a 15% trade kicker…at this point, it’s more likely that he just liked Nwaba that much

D-rock, Dobbizzle and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As bad as the Theis deal was on the court, trading him for Schroder and other expirings wipes the slate clean. The only effect the Theis signing has at this point to the Rockets is that it helped draft position.

Edit: Theis signing also is why Rockets currently have Schroder. I don't see that as big deal in a positive or a negative way except the whining caused by Schroder taking minutes from rookies.

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

This man is talking reckless. He came over with an overnight bag. He’s putting clothes in a drawer. I found his toothbrush and other items taking up counter space in the bathroom. Wait a minute…he’s about to ask for a damn key to the crib isn’t he? I thought we were just trying to hit it and quit it. Stone don’t turn this bro into a housewife. I don’t care if he goes 20 and 10 assists the rest of the season. Don’t get catfished! We know what he looks like when the makeup, wig, and lashes come off. He just alright for a late night. I got my eye on something younger and thic. Time to invite Nix over.

#226 vator, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    conquistador#11 and tinman like this.
  7. conquistador#11

Nobody wants to leave!
    Them bois down on Kirby would call that culture.
    Here it's holding us back., not 1, not 2 not 3 not 4

D-rock likes this.
  8. a time to chill

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/anthony-davis-trade-rumors-nba/

Where to, Dennis Schroder?

Speaking of the Lakers, another interesting summer could be ahead for wayward L.A. point guard Dennis Schroder, who bounced from L.A. to Boston after he was unable to get a lucrative contract last season, then was sent on to Houston to close out the season. That could include a return to the Lakers next year, especially if Schroder is again unable to land the kind of nine-figure contract he sought last summer, and failed to get.

Schroder played reasonably well with the Lakers, and took too much heat for the team’s shortcomings in 2020-21. “There were times last year they would have begged to have (Schroder) back instead of (Russell) Westbrook,” one executive said.

He was decent enough for Boston before landing with the Rockets, and it is possible, according to a source, that Houston re-signs Schroder using a part of its midlevel exception, then looks to trade him ahead of next winter’s deadline, much as the Celtics did.

The Bulls had an interest in Schroder at the deadline last February. If they trade guard Coby White in the coming weeks, a league source said, their interest in Schroder could be revived. Schroder had his best year as a pro while playing under Billy Donovan in Oklahoma City in 2019-20.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

While I wouldn’t mind a stabilizing veteran presence in the backcourt who can run the floor as a true point guard, Schroeder is actually not a true point guard. He’s certainly the closest thing we had to one on our roster this season and he absolutely made Green better, but to me we’d only consider resigning him if Wall is gonna sit out another season. The situation with john Wall absolutely affects what we do at point guard this season. I personally think we need to play him 20-25 min a game coming off the bench. Would like to see if he can help Green and KPJ if we are continuing to roll with that backcourt next year. Since we are actually trying to win next year, I think getting some production from Wall in limited minutes would be a good thing.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Who said we are actually trying to win next year?

Next year is the last year we have control of our pick, and the draft will be much better with a generational player at top. Also most assume we will trade Wood to open up a spot for this year's rookie, so we would be losing the team's best player and replaced by a rookie that are usually net negatives their first year.

2023 (the season after next) will be the one we actually try to win, with our picks going to okc and enough cap space to sign some major free agents.

jcmoon, Dobbizzle and groovemachine like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I am definitely aware we control our pick next year and I take your point, but I think we have to pivot next year to trying to win, so that we can change the narrative from “worst team in the league” to “team on the rise” and attract free agents. If we are bottom of the barrel again, then the draft pick is a consultation prize. If we win more games and put ourselves on a positive trajectory, we’ll be a more desirable destination for free agents and we still may be get a good lotto pick because of the way the lotto works. Just the way I see it.

there’s also the question of how you evaluate your coach if he has 3 terrible seasons when the org was trying to tank.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Experiment is over. The cat is dead.

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

But is it also alive???

Hank McDowell and D-rock like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have a hard time seeing Wall playing this year if he sat out last season.
    I see the rockets likely with 10 games left having the 4th-8th worst record. Then seeing how things are going still trying to win or sit guys trying to increase your odds in the draft. Depending on how the rookie looks and the 4 rookies from last year. It does not take a lot of reasoning to understand what the rockets were and are doing along with a max contract on the bench. I bet the team may be able to attract a top role player or two that wants to go along for the ride starting in 2023-2024.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why would we use our MLE? We have non-bird rights to match up to 120% of his previous salary (7 mill starting salary).

I'd welcome Dennis back, he seems like a positive vet influence, and we could use a backup PG who isn't a threat to deck the coach with a roast beef during half time

groovemachine and jcmoon like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scrotum got a Celtics tat? :Do_O

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sign him and then trade him to Celtics???

Stone has a pattern.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

He could get a ring.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Dennis Schroder, Needs To move on to another team. We are a young team and wont have room to give him hardly any playing time
    this upcoming season. Y

AroundTheWorld likes this.