1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dennis Schroder Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 10, 2022.

?

The DS experience

1. Take off

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. crash landing

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I've always liked Schroder. I think he could be part of our future running the 2nd team.

BigShasta, hakeem94 and jcmoon like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Schroeder was nothing special last night. So what will be all the knee jerk reactions this game? After the first game, he was the missing piece and KPJ needs to be shipped. After the second game, he might be pretty good coming off the bench as the backup. Third game, cut this sucker immediately?!

The takes about this re-building effort are getting worse and worse. In the end, we know what Schroeder is and we should not be taking away minutes from Jaygup, JGreen, or NIx. We really need to see if Nix can be a backup PG before we decide how much we would be willing to pay Schroeder as a backup PG. Playing him makes no more sense than playing Gordon who virtually everybody wanted to dump and the deadline.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i hate agent shroeder, cause if it werent for him capela would have never put the disguisting patch and that was a seal on our championship window
    [​IMG]

randerson and BigShasta like this.
  5. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

maybe they are thinking about running a three guard line up like okc had with schroeder and just run, run, and run. We obviously can't stop no one on defense so perhaps we'll just run 10-deep and just run them off the floor? nix is nothing but a project right now. Schroeder compliments green he aint taking minutes away from him. In fact, he complements sengun and green better than kpj who needs to go to the lou will role, there's no shame in that. unless you are still set with kpj being our pg of the future.

randerson likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think KPJ takes away from Green nor Schroeder. I am convinced KPJ is our PG of the future and if not long-term at least thru next year. Schroeder is not a starting PG in this league. I don’t have a problem with him as a backup, but at what price? Think he’s willing to take back up point money say 6M year max? Shouldn’t we figure out what Nix can do before the off-season when we will have to decide on Schroeder? If you want to run 3 guard lineups this year it should look something like this:

KPJ
    Green
    Schroeder or Gordon
    Wood/Tate
    Segun

NIx
    Jaygup
    Matthews
    KJM/Tate
    Segun/Wood

Either Gordon or Schroeder shoot sit. As I said before, we know what Schroeder is and we know what Gordon is. We need to find out:

If Segun and Wood can co-exist
    If Nix can be your backup next year (still a re-build year)
    Is Jaygup, KJM, Tate future rotation players or trade fodder this off-season.

When we know who our draft pick is then the FO needs to decide whether to trade for a veteran difference maker for next season or unintentionally tank next season.

7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think i can trust our nba coaches enough in practice to see how skillful Nix is. Is he going to be an over night sensation who can be better than shroeder? G league stats mean something, but at the end of the day, its the G league. If nix can't do the same thing against our own squad during practices, what makes you think he can do it against the rest of the nba. I think our coaches can see these things where we can not. i am rooting for him though.

KPJ is not a pg. Tell me what playoff contender would start KPJ at the point? he jogs the ball up the court, dribbles into traffic in the half-court and picks up his dribble and gets trapped, turns the ball over, doesn't hustle back in transition on defense a lot. Yes, he can put up numbers in our five out system, but he can't be depended on against a great defense. He's a 2, who can run the point.

KPJ can't run the break as well as schroder which does negate getting the ball to jalen earlier, before the defense is set, whether for a dunk or a spot up 3.

schroeder may not have a choice to accept that 6 million.
    KPJ aint our SG on the bench until he signs on that dotted line for a team friendly extension. you act like he's any more of a rocket than schroedor is. they are both hired guns until they sign on the line. All kpj is interested in is the most money he can get and will leave in one second if another team overpays. Green and Sengun we have for 3 more years after this. they are the future as of right now. if kpj can fit in that's great. if not he'll be shipped out. i do like how he's been playing, but lets not acts like he's anything more than an asset at this point. he's just had a year long tryout. Will he start pouting if they move him to sixth man? i want to know what this man is made of.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We just disagree on KPJ. Schroeder has reached his potential. KPJ is 21 and has improved immensely in virtually every aspect of the game. Schroeder expires this summer so we will need to decide on him immediately. KPJ does not. I do wish he would bring the ball up a little more quickly, but most of the time he is bringing it up after a made basket. Transition basketball requires big men that hit outlet passes quickly to push the pace, unlike Wood who either brings it up himself or stands around and waits for a guard to come get it. KPJ is very good in the open court, but definitely could get better. Right now he is trying too hard to be an initiator and is more of a natural scorer. I have no reason to believe he won’t get better at that aspect of the game, since he has worked so hard already to improve on his other weaknesses.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

natural scorer?
    i dont think so...
    harden is a natural scorer, jordan clarkson, lou williams...
    KPJ almost never attacks the rim....has trouble beating his man and when he does its often a weak finish...
    all he has is the athleticism and he doens't even know how to use 20% of it...

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another guard who has no business being on the team lol

ElPigto and hakeem94 like this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Was pretty mad that we landed Schroeder, but he's been valuable in getting the team flow moving the direction I think it should go so I'm unexpectedly happy he's staying the remainder of the season.

Although, I felt like for a few games before the trade the offense was flowing better.

I just hate watching a 2 man game with a bunch of youngsters on the team. I didn't mind it with Harden/CP3 taking turns with Clint because it was just so lethal

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

if he plays well enough, block head Stone might offer him a deal in the summer

then the honeymoon phase will wear off, he’ll be hated by CF, and we’ll be wondering when Stone is finally gonna move him for whatever trash assets he ends up getting in return after leaking that he has 1st round picks being offered left and right for Dennis

D-rock, hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

signing a 29 year old to some laughable 4 year deal, who has no business on this team. sounds about right for this FO. they just did it last year

D-rock, hakeem94 and Reeko like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Multiyear deal incoming just like Theis!!

In good hands!

D-rock likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

ah sh*t, here we go…

Schroder speaking dangerous rhetoric about being here long term

IB4 3/45 deal for Schroder by block head Stone in the summer

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

3 year, 45 million with 3rd year being a PLAYER option lmao

Reeko and YOLO like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

can't forget about the trade kicker too!

Reeko and steddinotayto like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol no-trade clause incoming

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

NBA rules prevent that as Rockets won't have cap space or an exception that big. Thanks Commish!

Reeko likes this.