1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dennis Schroder Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 10, 2022.

?

The DS experience

1. Take off

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. crash landing

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amazing what an actual point guard can do for our young players. The flow was remarkable, with what seemed effortless ball movement at times. Here's a great example. I've seen replays of the finish here, but may have missed one with the beginning. Sengun starts this play with a deflection right to Gordon, who passes the ball to Schroder, already taking off down the court, as is Green on jets. Schroder tosses up a perfect lob for Jalen, who knows exactly what to do with it. Notice that Sengun, criticized by some for being "slow," is right there for the board if the play gets broken up.

2. Iknako

Iknako Member

İdk wood and kpj will available tonight if they will play Schröder and Sengün will be sub again. Silas will do silass things. Şengün and Schröder good pairing. I love kpj but he isn't a pg and not even close especially in PnR system.
    Jalen and Sengün must play more with together and learn each other habits and play styles. cuz we re tanking and no matter win or lost.

Patience, kjayp, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

best part of this clip: After the lob, Jalen Green sprints to give Dennis a hand clasp, but Dennis is running back to get on defense, lol. KPJ would have def paused to get the handshake and left his man to get a bucket on the other end.

4. i3artow i3aller

Al-P was husltin;! Also love how Schroder's attention immediately shifts towards CP3. Green turns as if to celebrate w him, but Dennis is already booking it back down the court.

You love to see it :cool:

5. StevieCrossover

What's the starting lineup look like now if schroder happens to start?
    ?..........

Schroder
    Kpj
    Green
    Tate
    Wood

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

imo... Schroder is not the best option... but i'd rather have Schroder running the point than KPJ...
    yes, i know KPJ is more 'gifted' - but it's usually the blind leading the blind out there when KPJ is running the show...
    I'd rather have a seasoned pg in there helping the other 4 guys develop... than KPJ running around like a chicken with his head cutoff and nobody learning nothing...

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Our version of the Thunder 3 guards line up with KPJ playing the 3

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Beats me. No telling what Silas might do. Assuming you have the starters one thru five, you have KPJ at the 2, which could be an accident. He'd for sure be the 3 in that lineup, which is where he should play anyway, in my opinion (some others here feel the same way, like @TimDuncanDonaut). Be interesting to watch. If that happens, and it very likely will at some point, I sure hope some of the second unit get heavy minutes, Sengun in particular.

9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Should be…

Shroder/Gordon
    KPJ/Christopher
    Green
    /Mathews
    Sengun/Tate
    Wood/KJ

I don’t care how the rotations work, but they have to get those 10 guys as much time as possible. The need to focus on the 7 bolder players, but they need a mix of the 10 to find a direction. Try to make Sengun and Wood figure it out so you know what direction to go. Try small ball with KJ and Tate. Take KPJ and Sengun out early so they can come back against 2nd units. Try as many looks as possible. Collect as much data as possible. Try to form a direction in the off-season.

#189 DM'sVP, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    csnerd84 and StevieCrossover like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

The sad truth is that by focusing on KPJ development, we are neglecting JG development because he doesn’t have a true point for all those lobs.

11. BreakYoSelfFool

Obviously, if a guy is playing well and the team looks better than it has all season it must be a fluke. Give the guy his credit where it is due. He just outplayed Chris Paul and Devin Booker and had the worst team in the conference in position to beat the best team in the league with 23/9/6. If you didn't see a difference with him on the court, it is pointless to talk to you. For me, it is obvious that he learned a lot from playing with Chris Paul and Lebron and is using the things he learned to help our young players. IMO he is already the best veteran leader on the team.

I was unaware that Jason Kidd and 1-time all-star Mark Jackson were sacred GOATs. They are guys who had long productive careers because of their leadership and ability to run an offense, especially a fast paced one.

J Kidd career averages 12.6 pts 8.7 ast 6.3 reb 36 mins
    M Jackson: 9.6 pts, 8 ast, 3.8 reb 30 mins

How dare I compare Schroder to those guys right? He's only averaging 13.5pts, 7ast, 3.5 reb in under 30 mins with the Rockets. This is without any experience with the team or coaches that I know of. His numbers are comparable to over half of their actual seasons, maybe it was an insult to him to say he's like a BABY Kidd or Mark Jackson. But I was really just speaking to a certain archetype of pg who play a similar role for their team. Leadership, running the break

I understand it is frowned upon to be optimistic about your team that you are a fan of, but even if you don't like the GM or Owner or team you should be able to keep an open mind and take an evidence-based approach.

Corrosion and StevieCrossover like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Glad I'm not the only one that saw it that way

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's one freaking game and the team looked as good or better during the winning streak.

Are you really averaging what he is doing based on 2 games?

How did you like what he did against the Jazz?

I don't have an issue with being optimistic but you compared him to Kidd and Jackson and he nothing like any of those guys, I watched them since they were in college.

What about his game reminds you of Kidd?

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

And the Beverley guarding or pestering 94 feet. That's huge.

I was fed up with guards (opponents) doing anything and everything almost
    unopposed. Porter was getting better; but c'mon!

jcmoon likes this.
  15. VoR

VoR Member

the wins during the win streak didn't have the same overall flow. Shroder made everyone on the floor look better. That's what a good PG is supposed to do.

jcmoon, hajkov and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.

17. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

You and the whole Rockets nation.
    But we got stuck with Gordon at the deadline.

But now being more polemical: I don't think KPJ belong here with Green.
    He would have of we drafted Mobley.
    Since we didn't, no need for two similar players, with the same flaws and same lack of ability to run the point. (And neither would accept being benched).

Edit on time: maybe KPJ and JG can cohexist with a more mature sengun in the lineup, to support making plays.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

probably true but they’re not winning a ring anytime soon and I’d prefer not to sell low

Let KPJ prove he can flourish at the 3, which I think he can, even if a tad undersized and then if he proves to still not a long term solution at any position turbans move him for an asset of value.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. sogood.

sogood. Member

You're comparing an entire career to 2 ****ing games.

#199 sogood., Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Iko] Dennis Schröder might be exactly what these young Rockets need

LOS ANGELES — Thursday night’s game was only four minutes old, but Dennis Schröder’s fingerprints were already all over the place.

After a strong performance 24 hours prior — a 23-point, nine-assist, six-rebound effort in nearly 40 minutes against the league-best Phoenix Suns — asking Schröder for an encore would have been unfair, especially against a scrappy Clippers team fighting for playoff positioning. Nevertheless, Schröder was on the floor for his new team giving his all and providing a much-needed veteran presence for a young, shorthanded team on the road.

On the game’s very first possession after the tip, Schröder dished to Jalen Green to let the rookie bring the ball up the floor and get the team set. The next time down the floor, it was Schröder with the ball in his hands, but he relinquished it to Green as soon as he crossed half court, motioning and instructing him where to go next with the ball. On the next possession, Schröder blitzed up the full length of the floor in four seconds to put Houston on the board.

Before the game, Rockets head coach Stephen Silas laid out some of the reasons why the franchise pulled the trigger on Schröder at the deadline. He, of course, mentioned Daniel Theis and his removal from the rotation, the elephant in the room, but he added the team’s hole at backup point guard and the need for a guard who played fast and was aggressive at the point of attack on defense.

Schröder has never shied away from taking on defensive assignments despite being undersized, and that was on display against the Clippers, whether he used his wingspan to break up entry passes or his annoying, pestering presence to hound players up the floor. He was only credited with two steals but was a big part of the reason the Rockets were competitive for the first half, before tired legs and hot shooting ultimately did them in.

All of those are good enough reasons as to why the Rockets decided to move on from Theis and give minutes to his fellow countryman. There were a number of confused and bewildered reactions on social media to Schröder’s arrival last week, but judging from the internal frame of mind, none of those matter to a rebuilding Rockets team just trying to get from point A to point B.

Kevin Porter Jr. has been out. D.J. Augustin is no longer on the roster. Green and Josh Christopher are still playmakers-in-training. Right now, Houston just needed someone who could get it organized. That’s why it was a welcomed sight to see Silas give Schröder the “52” call on the sideline and watch him disseminate that information to the rest of his new teammates. Schröder called it in, and Green ran off a Christian Wood screen and took a defender with him, leaving Schröder the chance to dance with Wood at the top of the key. A quick guard and a versatile big is a spicy pick-and-roll combo.

VID

The Rockets, of course, got blown out by the Clippers to the tune of 142-111, but as Silas has stressed time and time again, these results don’t matter nearly as much as the bits and pieces he’s able to pick up along the way. Seeing Schröder show his positive veteran presence in such a short time can’t be understated.

“It’s big,” Silas said. “You want guys, first of all, who come here and want to be here. You want guys who come here and want to help the other guys. Especially in the situation that we’re in, we need guys who are willing to pull someone aside and help and communicate. (Schröder) adds to our depth, our guard rotation. It’s very important. He was one of the guys who I looked out there and could see he was trying so hard. There was actually a point I tried to take him out of the game, and he was like, ‘Just leave me in, let me see if we can get back into it.’ I like that competitiveness about him.”

Prior to the deadline, as the Rockets were taking and making calls around the league, it was clear there would need to be a solution in their point guard room. Augustin, while doing his best whenever his number was called, was a player whose best days were clearly behind him. The thought was that bringing in Schröder now wouldn’t take minutes away from Porter or Green; they are central figures who are building blocks for the future. Schröder also doesn’t play the same position as Christopher, who might be more of a wing creator than a point guard. In any case, the two can share the floor in the second unit, and Schröder can help Christopher’s development.

The Rockets can also play this similarly to the Theis situation. Schröder is on an expiring deal worth about $6 million, and Houston gets a free look at him over the final 25 games of the year. If the chances he ever makes more than that again are slim — and judging by his current, market they are — the Rockets could even hang onto him at the end of the season, sign him to a team-friendly deal and flip him at next year’s deadline. The main takeaway from this is the flexibility, which at the end of the day is what Houston wants more than anything.

But while Schröder’s here, he has clear on-court value to this group. Silas and the coaching staff gravitate to players who can generate stops on one end and create quick scoring opportunities on the other. Well …

VID

Schröder’s biggest gift, however, might be the sheer value he brings to Green. It’s quite surprising how quickly the pair have forged a connection and shown positive chemistry. Schröder is very, very aware of how athletically gifted Green is and is eager to get him the ball in those advantageous situations. The pair locked eyes on a nifty backdoor cut in the first quarter that they didn’t convert (too strong of a Schröder pass), but both are quick in the open court and should be able to convert on more of these off defensive stops.

VID

Alley-oops are emphatic and fun, but Schröder has also done the little things to make life easier on Green. Quick flare screens to try and free him from defenders for perimeter looks. Pass-aheads in transition knowing Green’s power and downhill ability will put pressure on a team’s defense. Sprinting back on defense, knowing Houston’s transition defensive woes. Urging Green to be aggressive. His usage jumped from just 12.1 in the first quarter to 23.8 in the second and 26.7 in the third. It’s honestly a much more manageable situation having Schröder sharing the floor at times with Green than it might have been with John Wall, who still believes he can be the focal point of an offense.

“It’s been great,” Green said of his short time with Schröder. “He’s a big energy guy. He’s a real leader. From the jump, he just came in talking. Trying to get us going early, trying to get us to lock in and all buy in. It’s been real fun.”

Will Schröder stick around after this season? If he’s going to be that much of a positive influence on Green, it’s worth it. But even if we can’t speak to his long-term future at this point, right now, Schröder might just be what the doctor ordered.

vator and jcmoon like this.