1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The dark side of Dubai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 19, 2009.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is this the new running gag in the D&D...if someone happens to agree with me on something, they feel bad about it? JuanValdez...you...huh? :confused:

If anything, you should see it as a sign of you coming around a bit...remember...in the words of George Bush: "It's a monumental struggle of good vs. evil...but good will prevail." ;)

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No one is more concerned about the laborers than I am. They are living in inhumane conditions, getting overworked and have no career development prospects.

But you are a real moron if you think they don't know what they're getting into before they come. You're a real moron if you think they don't know the truth about the conditions here more than me, you or some video that someone else made.

The main problem is that the country is not protecting their rights. But the very next problem is that these people still want to come knowing full well everything that's going to happen.

More recently, the humanitarian agencies in Dubai have been more focused on discouraging them from coming to twist the government's arm into protecting their rights. They're encouraged to go back home and tell stories and discourage other from coming over.

You know what happened? Dubai switched from Indian sub continent laborers to Chinese ones. The Chinese ones are treated far better and their rights far far more protected. You know why? It's simply because China gives a damn about it but India doesn't seem to care. China uses its political standing to ensure that there's no monkey business going on. India, despite it's massive clout as a trading partner, hardly cares.

Frankly, in a capitalist system, the only thing that brings about significant change is money. As long as construction companies in the UAE can get away with this and pay these atrocious wages and continue to make their massive profits, they will keep doing it. The moment there is a hit to their balance sheet because of their problem, it will change. This is how, unfortunately, the world works and this is where everyone should focus their efforts because right now, for these laborers who are suffering here, expedience is more important than good will.

All this info you guys are discussing is 5-6 years old easily, and it doesn't help anyone. Today, there are thousands of laborers who's employers fled the country without telling anyone where they kept the passports of the laborers. No wages, no passport, nothing. These people are literally going hungry in a country made of gold. They are eating right out of the trash, that's how bad their situation is right now. So to sit here and talk about high level principles is all fine and dandy, but if you care as much as you appear to care, I urge you to do something to help them. Just anything would help. What doesn't help is a shouting match between armchair politicians trying to fluff up their own message board agenda.

If you care about helping out, drop me an email. If you just care about trashing Arabs, and making idiotic generalizations about some mythical place called "Arabia" then carry on.

1 person likes this.
  3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Obviously. Because I would assume that some poor Joe Schmo in some tiny village from God can only guess where would assume a company pitching an offer to go work in a country as affluent as the UAE was then going to stymie leaving and treat employees inhumanely.

Some may have heard, but I would guess they can always find another village where people haven't.

Even if they have heard and know what's going to happen, how does that make it acceptable?

Either way the D&D seems to be getting to you, I'm surprised to see the name calling.

2 people like this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They know. They all know exactly what's going on, because there are tons of people back there who have been there and done that. They are just in such a horrendous situation in India that they are willing to take the "risk". What they don't realize is that it's a poor decision. This is what extreme poverty does to your decision making.

It doesn't make it more acceptable, but it's important to know the facts and not talk about these guys like they are brain dead. They are making decisions that many of us would be making given identical circumstances. Really the only thing they were not anticipating is the adverse effects of the financial crisis.

This thread really got to me because it irritates me the way some people talk about it when they know very little about the actual circumstances. There are ways to help and I dislike if someone hijacks the stories of these atrocities for some perceived personal gain. It's akin to the tons of people here in Dubai making $200-$300k per year and unwilling to lend a hand yet more than willing to talk ****.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What personal gain?

What do you do against it?

You appear to be closest to the situation, no?

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I was there today.

I'm running a marathon to raise money for them.

I raise money 4 times a year for them.

What do you do?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't you know the point isn't that we actually care about these laborers. They can rot in hell and get anal raped by Satan in the shower every day. We just want to show the world how them Arabs and Muslims Islamers are total savages.

8. trustme

trustme Member

That definitely seems true for some posters on here.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

99% of this board don't think like that. I'm not so sure about the other 1%.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What do you do to fix social problems in Germany?

Probably as much as I do to fix social problems in Dubai.

Except that workers aren't treated like slaves in Germany nowadays.

#50 AroundTheWorld, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Speak for yourself. If that's how you feel, fine. Maybe you should cut down on the gay p*rn, though, your anal rape fantasies are getting a bit out of hand.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why are you making the D&D personal? Why do you bother to bring something from hangout into a political discussion?

Was it done to you? Did you post something about your personal life in good faith, and then have someone bring it up in an attempt to embarrass you?

If so and I missed it I'll say that it was wrong. Just like I don't feel it's helpful to debate for you to take cheap shots like this.

#52 FranchiseBlade, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Have you completely missed the Hitler posts and the Nazi references?

Interesting to see what you jump on and what you don't jump on.

You had about 200 opportunities to chastise Hydhypedplaya for this.

Not once did you do it.

This remark here, you caught after 5 minutes and jumped right on it.

But as to your concrete point here, you are right. I'll edit it out.

It just doesn't add up to say one has serious health issues and one is running a marathon at the same time. I don't care about what he does, I just notice when something seems untruthful. My perception is that he just said the marathon thing to self-aggrandize.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It might be they feel bad because of the crazy stuff you have posted.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please cite concrete examples.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have said on more than one occasion the Nazi Hitler things were overboard. There really is no reason for that kind of thing to be brought into the discussion. I also said here that if I missed anything that was done to you, that I didn't catch I'm saying now it was bad.

The truth is that once a lot of the Islam threads devolve into some posters making horrible Nazi/Hitler references about you, and you making various charges about them that I stop reading those threads any longer. So it's possible that I miss a lot. I guess I thought this one hadn't gone that far downhill yet.

You took the high road in editing it out, so that's commendable on your part. As a reader of these forums, I thank you.

I'll edit my quote so that it isn't there as well.

17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

AroundTheWorld is a Hitler Nazi and Mathloom is a Osama Terrorist!

the thadeus is a Sexy Love Maker!

2 people like this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

OK maybe not. My debate skillz sucks. :(

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, I'm genuinely interested if I have posted something concrete that you would consider crazy. I know that some people might consider me crazy, but I consider them crazy, so... :) - that's not the case with you, so if you actually point out things to me that you think are crazy that I said, I would like to ask you to let me know. Thanks.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Surprise.