1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The dark side of Dubai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 19, 2009.

1. penda45

penda45 Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUW9MWLIQYw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUW9MWLIQYw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (£400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000

So the guy paid 6 months of the new wage he was going to receive(supposedly) up-front for a job in another country where he knew no one and knew nothing about except what 'some guy' told him...the same guy who's job was to get laborers over there. How do you get your passport 'taken away' by the construction company? He's a sucker.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's common practice there, same with the nannies. If you think that it's just that guy, you are badly informed.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Watch this.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Again, if its such common practice that is so widely known, then the person shouldnt have sold his farm to go to such a country where he could have his passport jacked. :rolleyes:

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

No, not really. The city life itself is very different for many villagers in South Asia, and I am assuming in many other parts of Asia.

It is for them almost as crazy as going to a foreign country. New laws, new language, new customs, heck even the monetary system is different.

Again, you speak about stuff which you have no knowledge about.

7. Severe Rockets Fan

I watched the first 2 mins...I'm not going to sit through 15 mins. All he says is 'the second they land their passports are taken away' ...uh, how? Is there someone there that physically beats him up and takes away their passports? Or does the guy just hand it over b/c of a threat? Either way anyone with a brain would automatically think this is not right and leave. But as the vid says, they are in-debted to these guys for a certain amount of money which brings us back to my original post...they're suckers.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

If it's happening as often as you imply...I'm not the one that's badly informed am I? Once again...suckers.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you are blaming the person who got lured to Arabia under false pretenses, defrauded, treated in an inhumane way and basically enslaved? Interesting perspective. Shows where you stand.

1 person likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Exactly! How ridiculously naive do you have to be to do something like that? Some dude you don't know comes to your village out of the blue and promises you something too good to be true. Only a sucker sells everything he owns to go to a country he knows nothing about(except what the charming labor recruiter tells them :rolleyes: ) and knows no one there to work construction. Again, these are suckers. They've been doing crap like this for centuries...how do you think the US got started?

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Riiight.

Seriously...would you do something like this? Can you tell me this isn't extremely naive for someone to fall for this?

Edit: don't know why you're giving me the link to this crap...I don't doubt it's happening, like I said, people have been taken like this for awhile...when you are desperate and given something too good to be true there are a lot of folks not smart enough to see it.

1 person likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, it might be naive, but these people are desperate. Many people go abroad in the hope to be able to make money and to support their families at home. That's also how, for instance, all the prostitutes from Eastern Europe are lured to Dubai and Europe. Many of them don't know they will end up as prostitutes...it's the sad truth. People from these poor countries hope for a better life and thus, they are willing to take risks that from an informed perspective look to be taken in a very naive and stupid fashion. But you should blame those who exploit, not those who are exploited.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Exactly, I'm not going to argue that...of course something should be done about it, but as long as there are naive, stupid people in this world there will always be someone looking to take advantage of them. It's the crappy part of human nature. But, SOME blame has to go on the victims don't you think? Uneducated, poor, looking to hit a homerun in life...unfortunately these folks are like a little leaguer trying to hit a Nolan Ryan fastball, no chance.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Actually I do. I do sympathize with him, but there is a little bit of responsibility that needs to be on the people that continually keep coming back to Dubai repeatedly. Especially after they hear of the fates of their friends, family, etc etc...

Either that or they really don't care that they are being treated badly, and the media is just using them for a story. Maybe they are fine with getting paid less, and that less money is still more than they would have ever seen in their home country.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

This has nothing to do with prostitutes or human trafficking.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Working 12 hours in sweltering heat and under inhumane conditions is not exactly a homerun in life. I believe these people are aware that they are expected to work hard.

It works for some people. There are many immigrants, especially from Asia, who came to the US or Europe with nothing and worked their way up. But you can't do that when, as is the case in several countries in the Arab region, racists deprive you of your passport and basic rights, and treat you like a lower category of human beings. Just read up on the cases of nannies in the Arab region.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You mean the workers? Or tourists? I would agree that there is some blame on tourists like me who know of these things and still go there.

19. Severe Rockets Fan

That's the whole thing, of course they aren't told this when they are persuaded to go to Dubai. From what the vid said, they are told they will make 'an amazing salary' for basically manual labor. Even though they know nothing about the place, or anyone there, they're still willing to pay an incredible about of cash up-front to take this big gamble...they're hoping to hit a homerun, but yeah, once they get there they realize they dun goofed. Still, anyone with any common sense or some 'street smarts' would realize this sounds fishy, don't you think? If someone is just going to accept what some random fast talking recruiter says without doing some research on their own, they're asking for trouble. They're asking for even more trouble if they're going to change their entire life because of it.

20. insane man

insane man Member

i agree with almost everything aroundtheworld said in the last few posts on this thread.

i think i'll go throw up a little. ;)