1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Danger of Binge Working

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 23, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is something that I used to do a lot and is pretty common, even encouraged, in my field. The culture of binge working is inculcated in college where heavy demands and tight timelines are the norm on top of a competitive and very critical atmosphere. I remember one time one of my studio crits (reviewers) criticized another student for pretty much not pulling an all nighter and working more. She pointed out how all of the other students looked really tired and had produced a lot while he looked well rested and produced little.

As I've been getting older and understand the profession more I've been much more careful about binge working and pulling all nighters but it's hard to avoid given the feast or famine nature of my business plus that I am an owner of a small business so I can't count on others to do the work when it needs to be done.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/are...on-deadly-serious-2D11980291?ocid=msnhp&pos=5

Are you 'binge working'? The question is deadly serious

More people are living a life marked by energy-drink-fueled all-nighters.

A toxic combination of digital leashes, the hypnotic effects of technology, economic anxiety, and caffeine is encouraging workers to push far beyond normal limits in the name of hard work.

It’s a costly trend. Consequences range from poor work and long unscheduled absences, to workers paying with their health, and in rare cases, their lives.

Take Mita Diran. The 24-year-old advertising copywriter worked for 30 hours straight just before Christmas, bragged that she was "still going strooong" on Twitter, and dropped dead within hours. The young Indonesian was the latest high-profile victim of what some are now calling "binge working."

Diran's story is eerily similar to that of Li Yuan, an ad writer at Ogilvy & Mather in China, whose heart stopped in May after similar bouts of overwork.

It's also similar to the sorry tale of Moritz Erhardt. He died after a three-day work binge at Bank of America’s Merrill Lynch office in London. Erhartdt was a 21-year-old intern, and apparently desperate to prove himself worthy of a full-time job in banking. The death has prompted the bank to take steps to ease the frantic working conditions for ambitious junior staffers.

To this sad list you might even add a Taiwanese gamer known only as Diablo, who died in 2012 after a 40-hour video game binge.

Ken Matos researches workplace trends at the Familes and Work Institute, a non-profit. He points out that a few binge working deaths certainly don't make a trend, but he cautions that they are "a canary in a coal mine." More widespread consequences, he said, will be reduced life spans and other health impacts for workers who no longer take breaks, even on nights and weekends.

"While dropping over dead at one’s desk is likely to be a rare event, experiencing negative health consequences and reduced lifespans, as a result of decades intense work lives with little opportunity for regular recovery, is a more likely possibility," Matos said.

Virtual overwork is just the most obvious representation of a larger trend. Americans, for example, now toil for eight-and-a-half hours a week more than they did in 1979. This phenomenon has sometimes been called “the Great Speed- Up,” as workers simply can’t seem to jump off the digital rat-wheel.

The effect has shown up in government data, which indicates that 35 percent of Americans worked on weekends in 2011. We’re working at night, too, ruining the potential for those eight hours of rest. A survey in 2012 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that almost a third of working adults get six hours or less of sleep a night.

Technology has a lot to do with it. Not very long ago, when a worker left the office at 5 p.m., there was simply no way to get work out of them until they arrived the next day at 9 a.m. No would expect a response to an inquiry made at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon.

But technology's influence on the collapsing boundaries between work and life is subtle, too.

Matos points out that email has created a vicious cycle in most workplaces, with workers expecting instant responses from each other at all times -- no one wants to be the team member who blocked a discussion for an afternoon by not replying. What was designed as an asynchronous, one-way-at-a-time communication tool -- akin to old fashioned postal mail -- is now synchronous, instant communication, like a phone call. It's as if we were all trying to carry on hundreds of phone calls at once. It's enough to drive anyone crazy.

Or to make us sick.

A recent survey of medical research published in the American Journal of Epidemiology lays out the case against overwork:

Long working hours have been found to be associated with cardiovascular and immunologic reactions, reduced sleep duration, unhealthy lifestyle, and adverse health outcomes, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, subjective health complaints, fatigue, and depression.
    There is increasing evidence to suggest the importance of midlife risk factors for later dementia. Furthermore, the link between cognitive impairment and later life dementia is clearly established.

It's not fair to blame technology entirely for the problem. Read Diran's tweets, and you hear a typical young worker who is half complaining, half bragging about her 2 a.m. nights at the office. Binge working is encouraged by many workplace cultures. One reason Matos says: Companies measure and reward the wrong things.

"Organizations can develop a culture that focuses on the effort expended rather than the quality provided. I call these cultures of self-sacrifice, where employee value is measured not by how productive they are but by how much time and personal sacrifices they need to make to complete their work," he said. "In such cultures the employee who stays later is valued more even if the quality of work produced is not different from an employee who left earlier."

Working late can be a subtle, sinister test of loyalty, particularly in an economy that's still struggling to replace jobs lost during the Great Recession. It is human nature for bosses to keep asking for more work until employees cry foul; but in a tough job market, many employees feel like they can't say no.

The risks of overwork haven't been lost on organizations. Last week, in a direct reaction to Erhardt's death, Bank of America announced in an internal memo a new policy that requires analysts and associates to take off a "minimum of four weekend days off per month." It also announced that managers were to "closely monitor work volume, hours, and assignments. The Wall Street Journal reported that Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase have taken similar steps.

But as every worker knows, policies come and go – and few employees are comfortable quoting policy when a request comes from the boss.

Matos points out an irony in the age of instant communication and overwork, and in it, a possible solution. Communication about expectations is sorely lacking in most organizations, Matos says. Often, employees wrongly imagine that every e-mail, and every request, must be answered immediately -- particularly when deadlines aren't clear. Middle managers often make this mistake, too, jumping as high as possible to impress bosses up the food chain, rather than asking precisely how high they are supposed to jump. In the end, that means everything is a crisis, and everything is treated like a fire drill.

"Fear can drive people to overwork," Matos said. " Fear shuts down open and honest communication which is necessary to creating an innovative and responsive workplace."

And necessary to keep workers from falling asleep at their desks – or worse.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Welcome to the life of med students and residents. 3 days straight though? That's the height of stupidity and poor discipline.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man I used to be a high-pressure copywriter too once, that'll kill you for sure. Once spent 10 days in Vegas with no sleep writing God knows what and drinking scotch.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm currently on client site for the 11th day straight... FML.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Loss of relationships (or even loss of depth of relationship) is, to me, the biggest danger. Being an absent father or husband is terrifying to me.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I binged worked for a couple of years out of college, but then remembered as a kid growing up I really didn't want that, as my dad was a doctor who definitely binge-worked... home late, still doing charts at home, and working or on-call most weekends...

...so i put the kebash on it. I work hard now, but not from an hours perspective, which is "normal".

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i've lived through this vicariously dating a middle school assistant principle. she works 12 hrs/day at school then some more in bed. Madmax hit the nail on the head. it puts a huge strain on the relationship.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This right here.

9. Svpernaut

I've been traveling 90% of the time or more for two and a half years now, and it is rough - even as a single guy. I don't have any clue how the people with a wife and kids do it.

I have zero social life basically. I see my family briefly every weekend, and hang out with friends maybe once a month. Finding a relationship is next to impossible. I'm basically limited to random hookups. Although I did go on a few dates with a girl in Chicago and we keep in touch.

I leave home Sunday evening many weeks, and don't get home until nearly midnight on Friday. Rinse/repeat. By the time I get home, and prepare for travel the next week it is time to head back to the airport. I've pretty much hit my wall and am looking for change.

I don't know if that will come with me demanding more at home time, or finding a new gig. I'd obviously prefer the former.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know if you're consulting but it sounds like it. That is a young man's game and you'll be out and burnt out soon. That's just how it is. Next time you feel sad watch Up in the Air and bang something.

11. Svpernaut

Yup, IT consultant. I love my job, I've learned more in the past two+ years than I have the previous ten. It is a young man's game, but I also bring it upon myself. I volunteer for the engagements that no one wants to do - because I'm crazy and like a challenge. I have maybe six more months of hard travel in me, then I will basically put my foot down and ask for 40-50% travel.

With that said, I know dudes who have done this for 8-10 years and they have a wife and kids. I have no idea how they pull it off.

Funny you mention Up in the Air, I freaking do all the stuff he does - quite hilarious.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have never had this problem.

13. Svpernaut

[​IMG]

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see what you did there.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I just started in consulting 6 months ago as my first job and have already pulled some crazy weeks and late nights working. I am realizing that maybe i'm not about that. I prefer working 40 hours, having time for myself, even if it means I don't get paid or advance in my career as much.

I feel my next job I will be thinking about how the work-life balance is more than anything.

16. Svpernaut

The only reason I put in the hours I do because of the name on my resume. If I didn't work for the company I work for, I wouldn't put in the crazy hours. After a few years, your resume has a little bit easier time getting to the top of the stack.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not quite. It's not a lack of ambition or anything like that. I'd just prefer spending time not working vs working. If that means I'll never be a millionaire and/or a CEO, I don't care. 40-50 hours is more than enough. I have a nice home and a great family I'd much rather be with than in my office.

I've done well within my company. I'm respected in my industry and have had multiple job offers from other companies for gigs that would have paid more but required large amounts of time away from home. I travel a fair amount now and would really rather not add to it. It's enough that I have plenty of points and miles to cover vacations. That's the only benefit I see to it.

#17 leroy, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The danger of giving everything a stupid label.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Ain't this the truth. Let's be honest those of us who work in an office all day surf the internet, make personal phone calls, etc. We stretch those 8 hours. It's all about being available. The guy who's always in late or leaving early get's noticed straight away. Doesn't matter if that guy pumped out all his work in 20 hours instead of 40. But sit at your desk for 12 hours a day perusing clutchfans and occasionally answering an email and people think you're awesome.

Maybe it's just the nature of work these days where many of us aren't actually creating or producing anything substantive like a data entry clerk whose work is quantifiable. Instead we're anyalyzing data, coming up with solutions, offering recommendations, sitting in meetings, preparing a report now and then, vetting RFP responses, etc. That kind of work is just about being available for that meeting or that client or to discuss something with the boss. And when you're not available it seems like you're not working.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is exactly why I left my last job. Cannot stand that mindset.