1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cybertruck - New Tesla Pickup Unveiling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. DonatelloLimestone

Even the model X, they told me i had a recall for the CPU last year and they still don't have the part in yet to switch it with no clear answers or timeline.
    Now i hope they don't begin to cheap out more on parts and components. I'm not a fan of Elon saying he is removing the the manual park/drive shift. They've also taken out sensors recently too. i know htey lost a great source of income in the subsidies to other car companies and iwll loose more of that. I believe that was their biggest money maker.

They do have a heads up on the infrastructure as @Zboy mentioned. Depending on where you are the supercharger is convenient. ITs more expensive than gas to use that exclusively, and as a trademark elon, its usually doesn't hit its charging expectations, but that is a piece of mind you can take a trip anywhere in america and have something.
    The rivian has backing of amazon and a whole lot of cash, so maybe their struggles to grow won't be as a challenging since tesla did the pioneer work.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Of course its not luxury. But its in luxury price range and people buy the Model Y thinking they are getting a luxry SUV. That was my point. The interior is cheap and rattles, and the suspension is garbage on Model Y.

What you are paying premium for are the three things I mentioned previously while sacrificing the above.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If anyone is buying Model Y thinking its a luxury SUV, they shouldn't be buying a BEV. If someone hasn't done their research on the Model Y and fully understand this isn't a luxury vehicle, then they also haven't done their research on the short comings of BEV's.

I have never considered Tesla a luxury car. Yes, its a premium car, and as I stated, BEV's are very expensive to make at this time....which makes it a premium.

I suspect you're falling victim to mainstream automotive reviews who associate price tag to luxury vehicles.

Sajan likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tesla cars are not luxury by any means. The price premium is for the electric/tech part of it.

The German electrics are expensive also. E-Tron is 70k+ but it def has that audi premium feel.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

what you talking about?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting I had not heard that.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

E-Tron is expensive but germans have EV's less than that, they compete with the Y.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Eh, I am not falling victim to anything. I have already called out its cheap interior and poor ride quality. And clearly stated what you are paying for when you buy a Tesla.

The general public does think they are getting a luxury vehicle when they are buying a Tesla and that is for two reasons: The price tag and the unique/auto/tech features they get when they buy a Tesla.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If you don't think this is luxurious you're crazy.

BigM likes this.
  10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not judging, just saying that the interior of the nicest Dodge Dart looks pretty cool. I heard that the Tesla's interior ain't even leather, what's up with that?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of premium/"luxury" cars don't have leather, but offer it as an option. Even in the middle-of-the-road Mercedes E-Class, it's an option and I think that car starts around $50k'ish. Even if you move up to the AMG variant, you're still paying around $70k+ and it's still an option. If you move up over $100k like the S Class, then I believe it becomes standard. Then again, a lot of people love the feel and durability of the Mercedes fake leather and prefer it.

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Space Ghost likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

cheke64 likes this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

it’s not a misstep, it is just the cost and tech constraints of most non Tesla EVs so far. The Lightening is not competing against the Rivian or the Cybertruck(I’m not convinced it will be more than a niche product due to wild design), its main competitor is going to be the traditional gasoline F150. People are not going to buy a 230 mile EV version for $40k if for the same price you are getting a traditional F150 with none of the compromises. At 300 miles it becomes more useable but then it better have the same (or better) amenities and features of a $60k traditional F150 or else it will only cater to the small segment of virtue signalers that have to have an EV even if it is a worse car at higher price.

The reason Tesla has been successful is because when you line up a $40k Model 3 with a 3 series or C class or A4, it has comparable if not better performance features, better tech, so many are willing to live with some of the inconvenience in long distance travel and less luxury interior. For the Lightening to be successful it will also have to offer some advantages vs it’s traditional gasoline counterpart.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Ordered my Cybertruck over a year and a half ago...still haven't had any movement on my order

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#soon

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The panels don't align (terrible craftsmanship) and it'll depreciate $500/week but it's FAST!

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Piece of sht porsches.

@Ziggy we can ask them to drop them off at our houses.

let the cool kids drive the cybertrucc

Ziggy likes this.