1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The CNN wrestling tweet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jul 5, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You have lost your mind.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

CNN, as with all other 24/7 news, can go the way of dinosaur and that's cool with me. But...

There was no coercion here and I doubt CNN would broadcast their blackmail attempt to the world. But that one single sentence of reserving the right to outs the name of a (maybe) private citizen... that simply crosses the line for so many. Hey, that could be me.

That single sentence was not necessary. Of course it is within CNN right to do whatever they want the very next min after the article. No need to state it. Stating it in the way they did in this era is socially deaf and more being dumb then anything. I wonder what was in the writer's head?

As far as researching who is behind the original meme - there isn't any issue there. Digging and digging is what journalist do. What they use with that information is where ethic, integrity and common sense come in.

As for being anonymous in the public sphere. Well, that's a totally different topic, but although there is the right of free speech, there is no right to being hidden. Just maybe, if people feels that their anonymous posting isn't so anonymous, they think twice about the nasty things that they post.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The perception of bullying got CNN in trouble and all sides are in union against CNN. How comes the actual words of bullying from the POTUS doesn't have the same reaction from all? Hummm... what kind of double standard is being held here?

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I thought you didn't vote for Trump so not sure why you are offended at Trumpanzee statement ;)

I definitely don't agree that CNN is trying to be Fox from the left. They are trying to be the news network for everyone and that just doesn't fly with politics in 2017.

Example... you take a topic like Russian meddling.... this is something that SHOULD be universally agreed upon, but to be "fair" you have to have a Jason Miller ,Lewendowski, or Jeffery Lord on the panel, and the facts just don't get conveyed when they derail the conversation with slanted spin that turns the conversation into a convoluted mess with everyone talking over each other. Maybe even someone on the far left which makes it worse. However there are good analysts that unfortunately get tuned out by the nonsense panels. Trying to be fair and not just letting the facts stand by themselves is their biggest weakness. The facts and the viewpoint from the Right just don't work together anymore so why bother?

MSNBC has shows like Rachel and Chris Hayes that are more one on one discussions that play much better on live TV and offer education about what is going on in the world of politics today despite their obvious viewpoint from the left.

Honestly I check out ViceNews nightly when I can and rarely watch the others. I try to flip on Fox for a second to see what kind on nonsense I might hear the next day from the Republicans I know so I'm not thrown off, but I'm not a huge CNN guy watching 3 hours a night. They've gotta change their formula to bring me back. I'd personally like them to adopt the NPR formula but for live TV. More focus on science, tech, and business along with politics without the panels.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The fact that the sentence included "should any of that change" gives away the true meaning of the sentence. Many people are trying to explain it away as simply stating that CNN doesn't have a legal obligation to keep his identity secret. That's being willfully blind to what all the sentence says, and the context in which it was written.

After the guy writing to CNN said that he feared for his safety should they disclose his identity and how it could be personally damaging to his life/ reputation, what does it say that CNN would condition not disclosing his identity on whether he continues to be on good behavior? This is exactly what the sentence says and that is coercion, by any reasonable definition.

Has CNN retracted that statement and apologized for it, as opposed to maintaining at its just the "Trump Internet" blowing things out of proportion?

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Insults precent good discussio. Thats tbe point.

CNN has become liberal. Do you understand how liberal people like Vance Jones are?

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Being liberal or conservative shouldn't be the problem. Most people on NPR are very liberal. But they'll bring in conservative guests and carry on civil discussion with them, and generally keep things strictly on the issues without getting sidetracked with petty politics and emotional appeal. And there's no reason you couldn't have a conservative-leaning outlet that does the same thing.

That's what is missing from these cable news programs. They've decided the best formula for ratings is focusing on polarizing, hot button issues and vilifying the side that their audience is likely to be against.

pgabriel and NewRoxFan like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason why those who go after Trump generally fail is because while Trump has no dignity or credibility to lose, those who attack him generally do.....and end up sacrificing their dignity and credibility in the process. This was true during the Republican primary, it was true in the presidential election, it's true now.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A main reason they fail is not following simple wisdom.

Respect you opponent

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"should any of that change" not being included does not exclude them from publishing his name for any reasons or even no reason. CNN always had that right and continue to do so. The sentence wasn't necessary, as it's implicit that they can do that at anytime for any reason. The fact that they explicitly added the statement to me is more of being socially deaf and dumb. I can also take a guess as to why the author did, but the chance of it reflecting the "true meaning of the sentence" (or the author's true intention) is as good as your guess and so I'll pass on it for now.

As for coercion, by all accounts, the person freely decided to remove nasty things he posted, issue an apology because he has been found and he knew there was a real chance of him being known to the public (again, there is no right to remain hidden). He desired to remain hidden so to protect himself and his family from public reactions. In other words, he freely chooses to take those actions by his desire for self protection from his own past deeds. And so there is no coercion. In addition, his choices does not in anyway guarantee that CNN wouldn't publish his name then or later. Furthermore, even if his name is published, the reaction toward him is based on his own past deeds, voluntarily done by himself, not something forced onto him.

12. dobro1229

Opponent?... and RESPECT.. are you kidding me..... how about respect the facts?... Dude its politics, not a game of winners and losers. Both sides have their opinions, but there should be civil discussion and delivery of the news that starts and ends with FACTS. With that mentality I'm sure you actually are the exact customer that CNN is trying to sell to.

You mention Van Jones as what's wrong with CNN because he's giving a Liberal perspective.... So its NOT okay in your mind for Van Jones to come on and give a liberal mindset, and agenda while using FACTS, but its totally okay for most all of the Trump talking heads to straight up LIE nonstop about very basic things like voter fraud, climate change, or people getting kicked off health insurance, or name your Trump agenda talking point, that is a factual lie in the honor of Donald Trump and the GOP??

Where the "panels" always go off the rails is when a Trump sycophant diverts or totally rejects the truth to lie or confuse the viewer and 99% of the time the Liberal leaning, or even the straight laced objective journalist on the panel calls it out, and it gets heated. But CNN producers LOVE the sycophant GOP'ers because they play a character that stirs up drama and emotions. They look at Jeffery Lord as a character playing a part. CNN views their shows as a reality TV version of what its like for you and your right wing nut job friend to have to talk politics... and its pretty damn unwatchable.

THAT is the problem with CNN. Not the fact that they have a Liberal and a Conservative talking about issues. They arrange conversations on panels that are DESIGNED to drive apart our viewpoints instead of a civil tone, revolving around THE TRUTH, where we can have discussions about politics that doesn't lead to us nearly exchanging blows.

But from the fact that you are using the term "Opponent" when referring to Liberals shows that you are exactly who CNN is trying to appeal to. When you view me, or other liberals as "opponents" what type of conversation are you really looking to have?

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I haven't followed the story, I don't get why CNN went on a rampage because of that really badly editted gif. It's not offensive, it was just another gif, people shoop faces on these gifs all the time

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Had any created a gif of Braun Strowman beating down Roman Reigns with Trump's face?

If not, why not?

There are several to choose from but this is pretty good

[​IMG]

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it's that due to that disrespect they end up going off the rails and putting their credibility and dignity in danger....I mean, look at the unhinged response you got from another poster when you even mentioned "respect"....that's exactly the kind of response Trump drags out of people and when people go that route they end up being the loser.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The fact is he won

Y'all are in denial like crackheads

Until you acknowledge it you'll keep losing

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right he isn't an opponent

He is the President. My bad

19. dobro1229

Lol.... nice. I guess that's all you got in your juvenile response that the Don would be proud of.

I'm not in denial nor was I surprised when he won. The world just saw what I've been seeing for years. That years of brainless reality Tv and the manufactured desire tribalism has ruined this country.

Your responses are living proof that you and others are a product of the malfunction of our societal norms. Hope you are proud of what you see in the mirror when you wake up and say i need some drama in my life so I'm going to pick a fight with my neighbor who is just a little bit different than I am rather than look for ways to connect with my Neigbors. Hope you are proud.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Everyone expected Russia connections

Now no one mentions that dumb ish

Jimmy Supafly Snucka from the tip rope

That's what the Russia story looks like now

Media wring