1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Center position is extinct

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by andyacecandy, Mar 14, 2014.

1. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member

Yet, the Rockets keep going for them in Yao and Dwight.

In order for the Rockets to win, Harden basically has to play like a mad man and we have to get some X Factor performance out of Lin or Parsons. It blows my mind that Dwight Howard can't consistently get us 20, 10, and 3+ blocks... maybe our offense just isn't fitting for him? His March has been absolutely pathetic... his total points over the last 5 games have been 12, 9, 17, 15, 19. Maybe that's just what the NBA has become... a perimeter game where your bigs' defensive skills are more important than their offensive skills. That's the only explanation when you hear a name like Kendrick Perkins as a difference maker in the paint. Give me a break. The Center position is extinct.

2. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Member

It's not so much the position is extinct, but super star player of this position is very rare. It's pretty obvious 7 footers are rare, ones that have the dexterity/durability/finesse to play bball at NBA level are much more so.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You made this thread because the extinct Joakim Noah just kicked the Rockets' ass.

3 people like this.
  4. ish1973

ish1973 Member

Lack of skills.

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

So in a weak position, rox gets the best player of that position, Whats wrong with that?
    Oh, and rox have the best player in the 2 weakest position in the NBA currently. SG and C.

6. Fefo

Fefo Member

That guy Noah, of the chicago bulls, actually looks like a star center.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all only think about the offensive impact of the position. Morey brought in Howard for his elite impact on defense. There's no problem with what Howard is doing. He's not Hakeem. He's not Shaq. He's not Kareem. And Morey didn't sign him expecting him to be. When you have the luxury of pairing a good defensive center like Deandre Jordan with Blake Griffin you don't see anyone complaining.

8. chandlerbang21

centers that can post up and score are extinct you mean. Dwight gets offensive fouls every time he tries to back people down and they flop

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think the 90s are extinct.

10. TheJet

TheJet Member

Expectations, man. Dwight is a great defender and rebounder. Good at pick and roll and motion offense. Good hands, decent passer. His posts game has actually improved this year but it's nothing special and he turns it over WAY too much down there. But this has been pretty much his game since he came into the league. I'm not sure what people expected from him. Wasn't he on a 20+ pt 10+ tear until recently? He's been bad as of late but we're lucky to have him.

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

He's not a true center. I agree with OP. The center position is not nearly as important as clutchfans make it out to be. It's over valued in Houston because of Dream.

I remember when the run and gun suns blew up their team to get Shaq. Kerr fell for it too. They got significantly worse by adding a "true center". I remember clutchfans applauding that trade. Phoenix was better off without fat Shaq clogging the lane. They ruined a good thing there. So, the Spurs narrowly beat them in a few playoff series (without a dominant center) so they blow up the team. smh, stupid Kerr.

12. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

He is averaging 18.7, 12.4, and 1.8 per game. He has never averaged 3+ blocks per season, and he has only been over 21 pts once in his career. That was when he was the team. Now he is the second option at best on offense (3rd in FGA) so it is logical that his points will not be as high.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Calm down.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

1. give me a center like asik, playmaker like harden & a 4 like love or lma and I'll show u a playoff team that doesn't try to hide from clippers, okc, grizzlies.

2. With Howard ? Give me a guy like Ryan Anderson, Channing frye, or bosh.

15. spence99

spence99 Member

this. the way games are reffed now, you can't just overpower anyone anymore. if anyone posts you up, just wait for them to bump against you and fall and you'll get the call.

16. conquistador#11

no worries, scientist in motherland soviet union are working to clone Hakeem with some blood.

sure, adams, Jerkins and Noah have 'technically' stopped howard but howard has stopped howard by not having a big smile when it comes to pnr. so you will get your dunk attempt by having to run to the basket instead of a dramatic spin move, who cares. 2 points are 2 points.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Rules changed, and the impact is big on both ends in every play. Same reason quick perimeter players excel in today's NBA. It's by design to let certain type of players succeed to boost popularity of the game and sales of their merchandise...It's never fair but is understandable.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I believe that's due to the system and coaching. Can you imagine what the Rockets would look like if they had Thibodeau instead of McHale as their coach?

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So.... because Dwight's offense isn't all that, centers' offense isn't important. :confused:

Dwight's 2 lowest point totals this month coincided with losses.