1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case Against Winning

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Nov 29, 2010.

1. msn

msn Member

this.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agree entirely..i can't root against my team.

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Except this is the NFL not the NBA. Quality players can be had at any spot in the first round or so. The only thing I agree with you is that Kubiak should be gone.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So many of the replies are taking me completely the wrong way. I said at the outset that tanking should not be the goal here. My main concern was Kubiak riding this phony wave of a possible playoffs berth into squeezing out another 2 years as coach of the Texans.

To all the people still drinking the koolaid:

The only reason the Texans are still in the hunt for the division is not because of what they did on Sunday. That is beating a .500 Titans team with a 3rd string rookie QB starting in his first game. No the reason is that the Colts and Jags both lost, something which both teams have done less than the Texans so far this season. Amplifying the result as a positive sign of the Texans all of a sudden becoming a serious playoff contender is plain silly. Had the Colts and Jags won yesterday, the Texans would probably be hosting a press conference right now announcing the firing of Kubiak. Nothing has changed. We are as much as a playoff threat as the 5-6 Rams sitting atop the NFC West. In other words, WE SUCK.

At this point I rather fire Kubiak and cut my losses and move on. Start planning for the draft. look at what other teams are looking to do in the draft.
    Let's not tank but at least move back a few spots to make sure we can land a good shutdown CB. There is no shame in doing so. Heck had we done a better job of landing a better pick in those 8-8 and 9-7 seasons then perhaps we wouldn't have to worry about Colts and Jags having to lose several games down the stretch in order for us to make the playoffs. Back to the point, FIRE KUBIAK.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What about the children watching the game?

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

And majority of people here think Kubiak should be gone, but firing him now won't solve anything.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Just let the chips fall where they may, no need to tank, the team is inconsistent enough to lose on their own cognizance.

8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

But I rather fire Kubiak and then I'll be happy with whatever the outcome of season might be. This way Kubiak doesn't end getting another 2 years for another 9-7 season where we missed the playoffs by a hair. I'm afraid if we make the playoffs then Bob McNair will somehow take that as a positive and extend Kubiak because of some false sense of accomplishment. Like I said in my previous post, Texans haven't done a thing deserving of a playoff berth. Our chances are so heavily dependent on two other teams in our division losing games for us to make the playoffs. Kubiak deserve no credit whatsoever as a coach and should be fired regardless. Peyton Manning having a bad second half of the season and the Jaguars losing down the stretch have nothing to do with Kubiak's coaching ability. That is reason enough to can his ass. If we are going to make the playoffs due to some random chance then what difference does it make who is the coach?

Oh and please don't tell me Kubiak is reason we are going to win the last 5 games of the season either. His failed coaching already costs us at least 4 games for sure this season.

9. RocketMania1991

Well guess what? The Jags/Colts didn't win yesterday, and the Texans did. Once your in anything can happen :)

This whole conversation is irrelevant because nobody in that locker room is dumb enough to tank. And only an idiot tanks with one game out of the divison lead/

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

There's still a legitimate shot so no you got to go for it. If the Texans could just get into the playoffs they have just as good as a shot to go all the way as anyone. The talent is there.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

FIFY

Rocket River
    Magic 8 ball predicts this exactly

12. RocketMania1991

Il pretty confident that if we don't make the playoffs and finish with a 9-7 record again Kubes will be out of a job. Seems improbable that McNair would keep him I'm that scenario.

But if Kubiak can somehow finish 10-6 and right this ship into the playoffs then you have to extend the guy.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Kubiak is going nowhere if we finish 9-7.

Especially since that means we will likely have improved our division record dramatically and gone 4-1 to finish the year.

That means a win against either the Eagles or Ravens in primetime.

That looks good on the resume.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . .. like I said previously
    It would take 6-10 to even make mcnair entertain the thought

kubiac has too many build in excuses for this year
    schedule
    cushing
    dwayne brown
    etc

Rocket River

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

We'll make the playoffs if we go 5-0. I don't know what the OP is smoking... but it'll work out for us if we win out.

16. msn

msn Member

and just how would one "move back a few spots" without tanking?

if you lose even one game on purpose, it's tanking. if you hold back your best players and let scrubs "play as hard as they can", it's tanking. if you go in with a half-assed "game plan" and don't use your best weapons, it's tanking.

Tanking sucks. Losing is a disease that you shouldn't let in the door. If you don't do things right, it will bite you in the posterior. Just ask the Colts, who are now 6-7 since deciding 14-0 was good enough and they could just mail it in the last two games of the season.

17. msn

msn Member

I'll be the next President if I win 55% of the popular vote, too. ;)

18. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

Never EVER root for the team to tank, even if Reggie Bush and Vince Young are at the top of the draft order. Herm said it best

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

STFU.

Sincerely,

ME. :eek:

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

i think this statement is just as unreasonable as the analysis u referred to.

Jax plays Washington and Oak at home...additionally, if you think Dallas has a chance to go into Indy and win, then certainly Jax, who has already beaten Indy AND Dallas would seem to have a chance as well

Texans play Balt and Philly and @ Denver in snowy December is never an easy game

All in all, neither team will win out...nor will Indy (altho they seemingly have the easiest road)