1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Campbell's Soup Curse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NYKRule, Dec 3, 2002.

1. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

This has plagued careers in the past, and it will in the future. After the latest victim, Kurtis Warner, I don't know why any NFL player will want to be in these commercials.

Here are the facts, the cold hard truth:

Victim #1 Terrell Davis

Terrell started appearing in Campbell's Soup commercials after his 2nd Superbowl. He tore his ACL in his first month back playing regular season football from the 2nd Superbowl season. The ACL wasn't just torn, it seems like it was torn out, he never recovered, and he retired at at the young age of 29.

RIP Terrell Davis 1995-1998

Victim #2 Kurt Warner

Kurt Warner started appearing in Campbell's Soup commecials after he rised from the depths of Iowa yadda yadda yadda you know the story. Kurt suffered a minor injury in 2000 with his thumb, it was slammed against the helmet of a KC Chiefs player. It seemed as if the Campbell's Soup curse had hit him, but he came back with a strong 2001 and earning MVP honors, despite not being the MVP (Marshall Faulk). Entering the 2002 season after a loss in the Super Bowl, he wanted to avenge the loss to the Patriots. You could see he was struggling with his thumb as his accuracy was off. After 4 straight losses, he broke his pinkie in his 5th game. His 2nd backup, Marc Bulger, goes 5-0 in his absense, but Mike Martz wants to see if Kurt escaped the Campbell's Soup curse. He did not.

RIP Kurt Warner 1999-2001

Victim #3 Jerome Bettis

Jerome injured his leg in the 2001 season, he could not play throughout the playoffs until his team faced the Patriots. He played crappy and his team got beat. He looked pretty bad to start out the 2002 season, and then he got hurt versus the Indianapolis Colts. He has had three games since then, and he has had two alright games. Too bad those exact two have came against two of the worst Ds in the league. He will have his worst year as a Steeler this season. Even with that being said, the jury is still out on him.

RIP Jerome Bettis? 1993-????

Victim #4 Donovan McNabb

Donovan played through his broken ankle, although that might be a sign of a possible full recovery, he has appeared in 3 variations of Campbell's Soup commercials. We will wait this one out.

RIP Donovan McNabb? 2000-????

Other Campbell's Soup stars waiting for an injury: Brian Urlacher, Michael Strahan

2. mduke

mduke Member

The 2nd coming of the SI jinx?

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

If something happens to Brian Urlacher and Michael Strahan, I will be seriously creeped out.

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

Holy crap you are right! That is awesome! You would be a good sports writer. I wish the chron. guys had half as much intuition and creativity as you. Too bad about that username...

5. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

It is also especially funny and ironic that they do the advertisement for the "think and hearty" campbell's soup. It clearly doesn't make them as hearty as it implies;)

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dude, NYK, you totally stole my theory :)

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I mean, come ON! Have you ever tasted that crap? Curse smurse. That sludge is eating away at their brains and hearts.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I am living the Cambells soup curse, I have McNabb and Warner on my fantasy football team :mad: I'll never eat that MSG laced artery blocking sludge again...well maybe just the sirloin burger :rolleyes:

9. drapg

drapg Member

my question is how on earth were you able to draft both Warner and McNabb before the season started? (before anyone knew of Warner's cursed season)???

or was he waived by his original team?

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Drafted McNabb and traded for Warner after he got hurt the first time and let him keep the bench warm. I also have Griese and Warrick Dunn so maybe the curse involves my team in some weird way. :confused:

11. don grahamleone

The worst is when comedians steal your theory on TV. I don't want to sue, just a little recognition.

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Is that anything like "Thick and Hearty" ;)

13. drapg

drapg Member

this idea has been rehashed in every media outlet from here to Kathmandu for several weeks now.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

You are absolutely right (heck, this was an office discussion 2 weeks ago at work), but I don't think NYKRule was actually taking credit for the theory.

I don't normally root for injuries, but please... oh please... let the following players sign with Campbell's Soup:
    Kordell Stewart (Slash? More like HACK...)
    Desmond Howard
    Bill Romanowski
    Jake Plummer
    Neil O'Donnell
    Frank Reich :)

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Yeah, its been around for about a year now. It was originally brought up after the first Warner injury.

It was really freaky when McNabb's injury happened, though.