1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The call "against" Miami

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by don grahamleone, Jan 4, 2003.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Found this article to be a little one-sided.

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Referee Terry Porter would rather be late than wrong.

Porter's critical pass-interference call as Miami players were celebrating what they thought was another national championship cleared the way for Ohio State's tying touchdown in overtime of the Fiesta Bowl on Friday night.

In the far corner of the end zone, Porter waited for what seemed an eternity before throwing the flag after Craig Krenzel's fourth-down pass fell to the turf for what appeared to be the end of the game.

``I replayed it in my mind,'' Porter said. ``I wanted to make double-sure that it was the right call.''

The Big 12 Conference official had long since signaled an incomplete pass on fourth down, triggering Miami's celebration.

Then the Buckeyes went on to a 31-24 upset and the Hurricanes' faithful were left muttering about what almost was.

``I did not have a chance to see the call. ... Obviously on fourth down and long, it was a huge, huge play in the game,'' Miami coach Larry Coker said. ``You hate for an official to have to make that call. You would like it to be a legitimate call.''

The Hurricanes' Sean Taylor already had thrown his helmet into the desert sky in triumph, but had to pick it up and go back on the field.

``Officials make the calls,'' Taylor said. ``That wasn't a turning point. We should have never been in that position.''

Not all the Hurricanes were so understanding.

``If you're going to make the call, make it right away,'' linebacker D.J. Williams said. ``The guy from the back called it late. I thought we had it won.''

Porter ruled that freshman cornerback Glenn Sharpe interfered with intended receiver Chris Gamble on the play.

``I saw the guy holding the guy prior to the ball being in the air,'' Porter said. ``He was still holding him, pulling him down while the ball was in the air.''

He first signaled incomplete. Then came the long wait.

``I saw it again,'' Porter said, recalling the moment he replayed the play in his head. ``I wanted to make darn sure it was the right call.''

Gamble, of course, insisted Porter made the right call.

``He was holding me. He was in my facemask and my shoulder pads,'' Gamble said. ``I was waiting for the flag, but he kind of hesitated. I didn't see him going for the flag and I thought, `He ain't going to throw it.' Luckily, he did, and I'm like, `whew.'''

Security guards cleared the field. The throng of Ohio State fans roared at Sun Devil Stadium, and the Buckeyes got a first down at the Miami 2.

Three bruising plays later, Krenzel scored from inside the 1, and the conversion kick made it 24-24 and forced another overtime.

Maurice Clarett's 5-yard touchdown run pushed Ohio State to a 31-24 lead, Miami was stopped and the Buckeyes had the huge upset.

Hurricanes fans will forever remember that long stare from Porter, how he seemed to be thinking about what he'd seen, and whether to throw the flag. They will remember how quickly they went from elation to numbness to disbelief.

Television replays showed that Sharpe appeared to grab Gamble before the ball arrived. Miami fans surely will dispute that, as well as the national title that slipped away and the bizarre end to a 34-game winning streak.

The article made me kind of mad because it makes it sound like this was the only contravertial call the whole game. There were some no calls at the end of regulation that could've sealed the deal for OSU.

All in all, it was one of the greatest games that I have ever seen. So... thanks refs, you made it a good one.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Things that make you go hmmmm........ Kinda glad that Miami lost, although I do hate the arrogance of the big ten. I was at a bar with osu fans and even they said "well, ****. We caught a break. Part of the game."

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Does the arrogance compare to that of Texas? (I'm pretty high on UT)

That call was not a break, it was the right call. It was a great game and some tough calls to make in it. I don't envy those refs at all. All in all, great game, maybe one of the best ever.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I have no emotional involvement in either team. That being siad, I did not see interference on that play. Gamble had a clear shot to catch the ball before Sharpe even turned around. for once, the refs decided the outcome of a game.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

This quote is exactly what I am saying. If you are going throw a flag, then for God's sake man, don't hesitate.

The fact that he hesitated shows that he didn't have any confidence that he made the right call.

And as an official, regardless of the sport, you always SELL the call so there is no doubt that you know what you are doing.

After reading this, I have little doubt that Mr. Porter does NOT know what he is doing.

It's a shame that a game like this had someone with no confidence decide it.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, it is revealed that Mr. Porter has made 2 controversial calls in the past. They were so bad that the Big 12 had to issue a written letter of apology.

Gee, that's nice but it doesn't bring back a NC now, does it?

Yup, that was a legit call. :rolleyes:

7. drapg

drapg Member

I too had no vested interest in either team, and I didn't believe the call was correct. There was no PI in my eyes.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

At first I thought that the call shouldn't have been made, but then, I started thinking about how one of the biggest things you always ask for in refereeing is consistency. The call, imo, was consistent with the rest of the game, the call on gamble in the 1st half where he barely, and I mean barely, was holding the Miami wide reciever, the call in the 2nd overtime against Gamble, etc. Without question, the Miami DB was holding Gamble slightly after the ball was thrown. He let go and then hit him at the right time, it seems.

9. Timing

Timing Member

I'm not a fan of either team but that call was total trash. Miami still had their chances though. Being a champ means you overcome stupid calls and Miami just didn't get it done.

10. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

What about the pass that was ruled out of bounds but the OSU guy caught it in bounds? I think that was in the 4th. That could have and almost did cost OSU the game.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You get several calls throughout the game that couldve changed things.

For example, that 3rd down call with 2 minutes left. That was clearly a hold on the Miami player. That wouldve given OSU an automatic first down. Miami wouldve had to use their only remaining timeout and wouldve gotten the ball back with about 30 seconds left and no timeouts. That also couldve changed the game. Plus Miami got a similiar call in the endzone during overtime. They had 3 chances to convert from the 1 and couldn't do it.

Sorry, they had their chances and their share of calls.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

People are talking about riots in Columbus. What about in Miami? Cause I know if Texas got ****ed by the refs like Miami, there'd be chaos. Miami won last year. Texas hasn't won since 1970.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If Texas got f***** by the refs, people wouldnt be rioting. They would be b****ing about it on the internet.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Am I the only one who thinks the player was actually being held. Krenzel released the ball almost immediately after it was snapped. Gamble was definitely being held initially, but this is legal if the ball hasn't been thrown within 5 yards, correct? But Krenzel released the ball so quickly, I think I think it was a good part of the way to Gamble before the defender released, and then hit when the ball got there.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

You underestimate us. The loss to CU was just a preview.

16. Timing

Timing Member

Actually I thought the ball was tipped by one of the linemen on that play. The ball looked like it changed trajectory after it passed the line but the announcers never said anything. I didn't see any pass interference at all though.

17. drapg

drapg Member

I thought it was a very ticky-tacky call. I've grown up under the assumption (based on past games and the media) that you let the men play in crunch time and overtime. Unless there is a blatant penalty, flags stay in the pocket.

Having said that, this call should not have been made.

Anyone here Stephen A. Smith on the radio this morning? He thought the timing of the call was worse than the call itself. He kept jabbering on about how the fact that the Miami players thought they were NCs for a split second, than were forced to play the game again basically psyched them out and cost them the victory.

Now if thats not the worst excuse I've ever heard, I don't know what is.

18. Heretic

Heretic Member

watching the replays I believe the call was correct and that it was pass interference. The referee paused before throwing the flag because he wanted to make sure it was the right call at such a crucial moment of the game, which is something that I'd expect more people to understand.

So Miami is pissed, who cares? Ohio State cut the brakelines on the university of miami bandwagon and so everyone is looking for excuses to cry foulplay. Miami had 4 chances from the 1 yard line to tie the game again but they failed, proving themselves unworthy.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

That the same Stephen A. Smith thats on the best damn sports show sometimes?

20. Major

Major Member

Am I the only one who thinks the player was actually being held. Krenzel released the ball almost immediately after it was snapped.

I agree with you. I think there was definitely some questionable contact.

I disagree with the "let 'em play" philosophy. That just means you're telling the defenders that they should be allowed to cheat. You can't catch a ball if you're being held, and the player should be called for it if they hold someone.

Why penalize a team for playing by the rules just because its crunch-time?