1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Brandon Jennings European Experiment

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SamFisher, Jun 27, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was a guilty pleasure:)

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Well, the OP was still right - if he went to college, he probably would've been a lock for a top three pick.

Amazing night tonight. And even better for my fantasy team!

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It depends on which Euro league you're in. However there is a lot of stress on basketball fundamentals there,and they don't put up with any nonsense.
    The top NCAA's teams are very good, some of them better than the ones across the pond,but a lot of European clubs are superior to a lot of NCAA clubs.

4. sbyang

sbyang Member

It's different for big men vs. perimeter players. Top NCAA perimeter guys can play in euroleague because of their athleticism, but top NCAA big men, like Thabeet, would get owned in Euroleague.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes,that's correct. Euro rules are very difficult for low post centers to get by with. They can zone on you easily,and get away with a lot of contact. It's no wonder that big men have to learn how to shoot in Europe.

6. showtang043

showtang043 Member

yea i think the one thing people don't realize its more of a passing, team game over there, zone defense and all of that and they don't focus on stats

everyone is wondering why childress is not dominating, but his squad and even he said he is doing exactly what they need him to do

most stars dont even average over 20 there its kind of old school no bs kind of basketball, they even let them play more unlike over here where the refs dictate the pace and even can inflate stats(star calls), its sad when euro bball is more physical than where basketball started

in teh end, jennings just got to work out in a professional environment, be humbled by seasoned pro who weren't going to baby him, he took it constructively and made himself better and had an idea of what it really takes to get better, he came with the right mentality and work ethic and it paid off and he got paid while doing it

for someone who only has bbaall aspirations ncaa bball is pointless...why? bc they don't even get a real education, if you read the actual rules these star athletes only have to get Ds to keep playing, dont have attendance and take minimal courses, so its not really much of an education or even a structure, i had a friend from ut overhearing tj ford getting guys to write and finish papers for him to turn in... and then the wierd thing, its a huge cash cow, but coaches get paid and the rest is under the table

i guess its not as old school good ol fashioned as people cut it out to be, and it limits your practice time and you get on a high horse if you are a big prospect... but the thing is, i agree with the age rule, but you don't have to goto college, euro, a developmental league all of those are good alternatives to bring the best final product to the nba

some high schoolers are ready? on the contrary, people love to bring up kobe, kg, lebron....well lebron averaged 20 yes, but on 30 something percent shooting while leading the league in turnovers, basically they just force fed their potential the guy, at that time in that year, ball would've been more efficient in someone else's hands...kobe and kg, still had years of low fg percentage and struggle before they became true stars....nba shouldnt have to go thoruhg one or two years of a developing league, the nba should be the final product

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I thought the European experiment would be a failure, but it ended up better than college. In the NCAA, the coachable practices are limited to 20 hours a week. Europeean pro leagues don't have the same limiations. It gave Jennings lots of coaching. He has improved on his 3pt shooting, which was horrible in high school.

Jennings was humbled in Europe. The coach didn't guarantee Jennings's minutes. He

In the end, I think the age limit worked out well. Younger players develop in the NCAA or NBA and end up better. Some HS players may never be drafted, if they perform poorly in the NCAA or Europe. Hopefully, if they are in the NCAA, they can get a degree and make a better living.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

New story on his euro experience.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_13789870

9. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i just picked him up on my fantasy team and have him as my utility player. Then the kid drops 55 :eek: Great suprise.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well, I think Sam has his Dan Langhi....LOL.

DD

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Sam Fisher is wrong every time he posts about basketball. He's even proved wrong about Redick. That guys posts are a joke.